Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New owner of alaskan malamute

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tancho51, Sep 7, 2013.

1. tancho51

tancho51 PetForums Newbie

Hi im a new member who i think as been taken for a fool but must say my own fault really 2 days ago i went to view a 7 month old alaskan malamute in her home her owners were selling her because she said the husky she had and the mal didnt get on and they had to be seperated at all times at night the mal was put into a cage also if given ought apart from a certain dog food it went straight through her we went away thought about it for 2 days then last night we went to pick her up and bring her home all was well until 5am this morning when i was awoken by howling came down stairs the mal had chewed things dog muck everywhere which we were told she didnt do got everything of the sides the kitchen was like a war zone. I can understand new place dog as to get used to things but im sure the owner before me was hiding alot from me when i asked for vet papers for injections and health checks i was told she would find them out im sure this dog as got digestive probs because diaareah was everywhere when i took her into garden it was like water coming out sorry to be blunt but im concerned what advise can anyone give me i just wish if this poor dog does have health probs the lady should of told me. any advise on mals would be appreciated.

#1 tancho51, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

A very warm welcome to the forum.

Re your concern: Try reposting in the 'Dog' section. I'm sure someone will be able to help and advise you.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

First thing I would do is not feed her for 12/24 hours, give her stomach a complete rest. Then feed a bland resting diet, boiled chicken white mean no skin as its full of fat, and give her with it some fresh boiled plain white rice. If you don't want to use chicken try boiled white fish no skin flake it and check for small bones and give her that with fresh boiled white rice instead. You can also use plain boiled mashed potato instead of the rice. Give her 3 small meals a day of that evenly spaced apart, in 24/36 hours you should see an improvement even if its not back to normal.
    Ideally best thing to give her too would be pro texin prokolin, it helps solidify the motions, calms the stomach and puts back the good gut bacteria needed for a healthy digestion. Vets sell it or you can get it on line I usually get mine from Pet Medicine, Vet Prescriptions & Pet Food Cheaper Than Your Vet If you don't see an improvement on that by 48 hours at the most then its likely going to need a vet visit. If you do get an improvement keep her on the diet until completely normal and then for an extra day or two to make sure. Did they tell you what they are feeding her? If you know once she is normal then put her back on that. Malamutes and Northern breeds need nowhere near the amount of foods usually on the food guide on commercial food. If you overfeed them then you will get loose sloppy motions.

If you have no vet records, then there may be a possibility that she hasn't been wormed. Should she have a bad worm load that can cause loose motions and diarrhoea, so I would worm her. Over the counter ones are not good. Use something like drontal plus or panacur granules, you can get them from vets or online at the link above too. You will need to weigh her though too as you have to use the right amount of wormer according to weight.

I would also go back to basics with toilet training as you would a pup starting from scratch. Take her out every 30/45 minutes especially at the moment, if she goes reward her with praise, and a little piece of plain chicken at the moment I wouldn't mix any treats or anything else in her diet.

I would also buy a heavy duty crate, and crate her when you cant watch her, but you will still need to take her out frequently to toilet and do the toilet training.

If she isn't within sight and sound of you and cant tell you if she needs to toilet, at the moment especially I would set an alarm and take her out for toilet breaks in the night.

4. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

You will find people trying to rehome their pets will never tell the whole truth :) otherwise people wouldn't take the animal on (or most people wouldn't either) but it could also be the stress of leaving her old pack behind and a new environment

Like sled dog hotel said, back to basics treat her like a new puppy. She'll have had her own routine and own way of doing things at her previous home and will take some time to adjust to yours.

A lot of rescue dogs do have accidents in the house, this is because they don't know where to toilet anymore, their old spot isn't there.

My Mam's Labrador has been house trained fully since about 12 weeks old, however a few month ago at 5 years old went to the toilet in my grandparents house basically because she didn't know where else to do it :huh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice