Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New owner, feeding advice?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Nerge, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Nerge

Nerge PetForums Newbie

Hi all I'm new here, I've been reading up in preparation for me & the girlfriend's new arrival this Friday, a 1.5 year old male black and white moggy who we've named Pippin!

We went to our local Cats Protection centre as we'd decided we'd love a cat to join us in our new home, we were told the black and white ones seem to be less popular for some reason, no idea why.

We liked him straight away, a real fuss pot, his original owner had to move back abroad so had to let him go. He had an injured leg when he came in, possibly a cat/fox bite they're not sure but it's all healed fine now and apart from having to wear a silly looking collar for a while he's now back to 100% again. :)

I'll post a pic when we have him home, we had the CP home visit which was fine although it's left me with some questions concerning feeding etc.

The CP home visit lady recommended hills science dry pet food, although from reading these boards that doesn't sound too popular.
    I believe the advantages of dry are (correct me if I'm wrong) it's better for their teeth and fills them up, doesn't smell and is easy to leave out for them but can leave some cats a little dehydrated if they're not drinking enough?

The CP lady seemed to suggest that because the wet food is mostly 80%+ water it's not so good for them and they need more of it.

Now I've read about feeding raw but I'm not sure we're up to such a step, at the moment at least, but we want to make sure he's well cared for of course. I've read that a good quality high meat content food is best, not whiskers etc.

I have already purchased some applause 80% meat content dry cat food the other day as the hills science stuff only seemed to list that it had around 10% meat content.

My question is it possible to feed them on both wet and dry? Say a wet meal in the morning and evening and dry left out for him during the day when we're at work? He's currently being fed on dry with no problems at the CP centre.

Alternatively is an all wet diet best? If that's so how's the best way to keep their teeth nice and healthy? If feeding a wet diet we'd get the better quality high meat content ones of course.

Finally, not a food question but during the home visit the lady recommended we get a scratching post lined with carpet rather than the usual material you see on most. Apparently due to their being cases that she has experienced of owners with the non-carpetted kind having cats getting their claws caught and sometimes even ripped off due to getting snagged.

Any advice would be great, my girlfriend has lived with cats all her life but I'm pretty new to it all, but love 'em, thanks for any help! :)

2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Hi there, I think everyone is different but I can let you know what I do.

I leave the dry food out at all times for them the nibble on and feed them the wet food (applaws, hi-life, just nature etc etc), twice per day. I know some people only feed theirs once with the wet food and they seem fine with that.

I feed one of mine 3 pouches per day as she needs building up just now but will put her back to one or two per day soon.

Whatever you decided to do, do it from day 1 and your cat will soon get into his food routine.

I am not too sure about the scratching posts. I have 4 uncarpeted ones and have never had a problem but again, this may be due to luck!

Enjoy your cat! :)

#2 Milly22, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

The really good thing about wet food IS that it is 80% water!!!! The really bad thing about dry is that it ISN'T!!! Cats have evolved to get all their water needs from their food hence they don't tend to drink lots naturally, therefore dry isn't good for them as it can cause problems with urine and kidneys (especially in boys - long urethral tract). Also it is a falacy that dry helps keep their teeth clean - it doesn't it shatters when crunch it doesn't massage the gums.

Basically you have a choice, pay for the water in the wet food that your cat needs or pay for the rubbish fillers that are in dry food that your cat will poop out as he can't digest them properly, and provide your own water which he is likely not to drink enough of. Okay, now that's my opinion outof the way.

I still have dry down at times but I use a water fountain too, I use a better quality dry (JWB), but I feed mainly 50%+ meat wet food or raw for my staple. Mixing and matching is fine. DO what is best for yo and for your cat.

Oh, and change his food over slowly or he will get the runs.

I have two sisal cat posts - no problems at all.

Saikou likes this.
  4. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Just to add I've never had a problem with sisal posts either. I tried my cats on Hi-life and applause but sadly they didnt take to it so they eat whiskas oh so meaty and have dry food down all the time which they also eat.

Good luck with him :)

5. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I cannot add much to the advice given already, just to say I feed a mixture of wet and dry. Dry being left out during the day. I also have never had a problem with a sisal scratching post.

I use sisal ropes for my parrots as it has short fibres unlike cotton rope so they parrots do not get their toes and claws tangled. I would have thought that carpet would have posed more of a risk.

Anyway congratulations on your new addition :D

6. Nerge

Nerge PetForums Newbie

Thanks a lot for all the advice. :)

I thought dry would have been better for their teeth due to it not sticking to them as much as perhaps wet does. The CP lady mentioned her cat's teeth were alot better for it according to the vet, compared to those fed on wet that is but who knows. :)

I think we'll start him off on dry (no cereal + high meat content one) with a little bit of wet, to allow him to adjust slowly as suggested to the change from being fed mostly dry at the CP centre.

Guess we can then up the wet amount as long as he's getting on okay with it.

Seems the sisal scratching posts are fine then, we'll get him one and see how he gets on with it to see what he likes to do before investing in anything more substantial.

Thanks again all, I'll post a pic when he's settling in. :)

7. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

Some wet foods contain sugar = bad for teeth just like humans.

Look at the 'typical analysis' on the back of wet foods and see what it contains. Pay a little more for quality wet foods. Good quality wet foods can be bought from Pet Supplies, Pet Food, and Pet Products on Sale Now at zooplus.co.uk via the net - Bozita is a swedish food that my cats like - chunks in jelly.

Most people on here do a combo: wet, dry and raw. One of my cats loves raw and bone crunches away, but one doesn't. I feed chunks of bone in rabbit and chopped up bone in wings and drumsticks every 2 - 3 days. Also look out for cheap reduced cuts of stew meat in the supermarket.

8. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

You can always soak the dry food in a little warm water before feeding

9. Coraline

Coraline PetForums Member

Before considering doing that, it's worth to be aware of the following information (from http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html):

Before you start moistening your cat's dry food to try to replace the missing moisture, you should know about mycotoxins, another potential side effect of the use of grains in cat food. Mycotoxins are naturally occurring fungal by-products that can cause disease and death in dogs and cats. When grains are improperly stored, mycotoxins can develop. Two common forms, both of which have been found in pet food (more commonly in dog food) are aflatoxin and vomitoxin. Although mycotoxins are found worldwide they only become toxic in temperatures above 82 degrees and over 80 percent humidity at which point they interfere with cellular function, and are extremely carcinogenic and immuno-suppressive.

Aflatoxin B1 is the most toxic of the aflatoxins and is the most potent liver carcinogen known. Substantial evidence exists to indicate that low-level exposure to aflatoxin may cause suppression of the immune system and increase susceptibility to disease. Young and pregnant animals of all species are extremely sensitive to aflatoxins. Aflatoxin is also excreted in milk of dams and may contribute to reproductive failure. Exposure during pregnancy has resulted in transplacental transfer of aflatoxin to and immune dysfunction in offspring.7

The elimination of mycotoxins in food is extremely expensive. Pet food manufacturers are not known for using the highest quality grains available; they would not be able to keep up their high profit margins if they did. The grains most pet food manufacturers use are those that are not fit for human consumption or are by-products from other processes.

10. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

Hiya :)

I have 6 Cats and they all have a mixed diet. I leave dry food out all day for them along with fresh water and they get wet food twice a day. All mine prefer Felix wet food. Ive tried other brands but they wont eat it!!

I also just use normal scratch posts and Ive never had a problem.

Do what you feel is right for you both, each cat is different!

11. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I have also never had a problem with sizal scratching posts and I have a fair few of them.

I also have a carpeted post but find that it is not as hard wearing and has now been banished to the back room as it looks rather tatty.

In terms of feeding I like many others feed a good quality dry food with as little additives and fillers as possible which is left down all day (although my cat hardly eats it)

I then give wet food 2-3 times a day and am just starting to get into a raw diet so trying little samples of that also.

I have a drinkwell water fountain which I think is great and my cat drinks a lot more water due to it.

One thing to mention is that wet food cannot be left down all day unlike dry food as the meat will spoil, especially in hot weather.

Anything not eaten within an hour should be thrown away as it can cause an upset tummy.

I was also told that dry food is good for a cat teeth but do not know if it is true or not. I actually brush my cats teeth on a weekly basis so not overly worried though.

12. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

Wet and raw being left out:

TBH I would remove if the temperature is very very hot, but in the UK it rarely is :)

I don't think it matters too much if it is left out for more than an hour - some cats are natural grazers. Their digestive systems can cope with bacteria that would make humans very sick.

Hate to mention this but cats clean their bottoms regularly............:eek:

13. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

Like a lot of folk I feed a mixture of wet and dry.

I leave dry food down all the time for my cat to graze on (Applaws, JWB or Royal Canin) and wet food in the morning and evening (cosma, applaws, porta21, Schesir). With the odd titbits of fresh ham, cheese, chicken and fish.
    She seems to like the variety but is always still much more interested in whatever I'm eating! lol :D

I also have a waterfountain for her to drink from too...which she loves almost as much as the kitchen and bathroom taps! :D

I use a sisal scratch post and have never had a problem with it....touch wood ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice