UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The place below us is a rental property but we've been lucky that the previous tenants had been there a good few years so we've all got used to each other. They've now moved out and new chap has moved in, who seems terribly nice but he's bought two problems with him.

One is his son who is already obsessed with Bodhi and wants to pet him despite me explaining "he's very bouncy and excitable so doesn't always want to say hello" - not sure how to best explain a reactive dog to a 10 year old.

Mr Keen I can cope with as Bodhi is never off lead outside the house so will keep repeating myself if needs be.

The second problem is his daughter who is apparently terrified of...yes you guessed it, staffies. We were coming in last night and the door suddenly opened (didn't even realise they had moved in!) so Bodhi jumped up the steps to see if Marley (his dog friend who used to live there) was coming out to play. It was just the Dad coming out but I think the daughter must have seen Bodhi and slammed the door behind her dad, before standing at the window looking suitably terrified.

I completely understand why she might be fearful, I was terrified of labs as a child. I've reassured the dad that Bodhi won't ever be offlead and told all my family to just keep an eye out when in the garden. The Dad doesn't seem to be terribly worried himself and professes to love staffies but Bodhi isn't the best dog to be living near if you weren't wild about them in the first place.

They are only going to be here 3 days a week but apart from keeping an eye out when they are about should I try and do anything else. Could see about getting a calmer/smaller staffy for her to meet (we do know one) but suspect that is something better left to the professionals - wouldn't want to do any more harm than good.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Nothing much you can do about it, its up to them to get help for the girl. If I were you, I'd just keep him under control at all times when coming in and out, that's all you can do. At least the father is more confident.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
It's difficult, but it's not really your problem. You're doing all the right things by having him on the lead and talking to her parents, but you have a dog (doesn't matter what breed), and your neighbours will need to accept that. He is under control when on the lead, so that's fine. I used to have a neighbour with a son who was very OTT with Rufus and kept telling him to leave Rufus alone. It was a struggle, but I wasn't doing anything wrong by having a dog, it was the child and his parents who didn't keep their kid from messing with a dog that they shouldn't be messing with. Sounds like you're doing everything right to me. You can offer for the little girl to come and stroke Bodhi, but if he's a bit reactive it's probably not the best idea. Just continue as you are.. you have him under control, and your neighbours will need to learn to either accept him, or just avoid him.

·
Registered
779 Posts
i would try not to worry to much,its early days and they dont know your dog well, once the daughter gets use to seeing your dog im sure she will calm down.
My daughter was terrified of big dogs and we moved into a house next door to a man and his 3 rotti's my girl was terrified beyond belief but slowly but surely she came round and got to actually like them :D now she isnt afraid of any dogs at all.
i would just wait and see what happenes and try not to worry to much :)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I agree with the above replies, maybe the daughter will get so used to seeing Bhodi that eventually she will be less scared. You can do no more than you are doing :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
For the 10 year old boy i would just explain about your dog being reactive and that its not good for the dog if he is petting him, they understand more than we think, of course all children are different but our 6 year old knows lots of swear words due to them being on songs in the car, we explained to him it was ok singing along in the car with us but they are bad words that upset people and you shouldnt say them! He sings along happily in the car but if anyone swears around him he tells them that those are bad words and you shouldnt say bad things its not nice.

The girl will probably come round in time when she is used to seeing your dog a bit more :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, greatly reassured by your thoughts.

It is early days, who knows Bodhi might completely change her
mind and we become a positive staffy story in the Daily Mail....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.