UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have a new neighbour! Very excited!

Woke up about 1am to the sound of wildly excited yapping. Considered passing remarks to Tess anent the un-wisdom of yapping at that hour and realised it wasn't her voice.... Certainly not Rex. Not Baxter (next-door-but-one) he's a greyhound x and very quiet. Not Perry-across-the-road he's even higher pitched than the Unknown and a Border Terrier. Hmmmm maybe an escaped dog? Staggered very reluctantly from bed. Checked down the street, no dog. Went back to bed.

This morning there was a glimpse of a mop-like, fawnish dog next door. Not the neighbour who shares the hens, the other neighbours. Two lovely ladies who swear they like the sound of the hens and promise they don't mind Apricot constructing a hen-hole under the fence with a view to destroying their garden (thank Dog we found that one).

Do hope the dog is staying and not just a visitor. When they arrived they had a black lab. a dog of distinction and manners and charm. Then they had a bitch called Bella of no fixed breed but very elegant legs so now???????????

Am I a nosy neighbour?? What ME????

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More likely adopting but I haven't seen them to ask. They adopted the last two dogs from the RSPCA. Certainly an adult dog not a pup. Looks really sweet. Hope it's not just a visitor.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They've been my neighbours for about 13 years. They arrived with the lab. and he was an elderly gentleman of about 13 when they moved in. He had a WONDERFUL life. They are reasonably well to do and he had the joy of one owner working from home and a regularly frequented beach house. He died about 18 months after they arrived. he was a house dog and had the most wonderful shine on his coat despite his love of the beach.

They grieved horribly for about six months and decided they couldn't live without a dog. They got Bella as a young adult, maybe two or three years old. She too had a charmed life but was by no means an easy dog. She had a tremendous prey drive and could never be off-lead except at the beach when it was deserted (winter, mainly). She would attack other animals; cats, rabbits, and on one occasion a small dog. They had a behaviourist (the first one I ever met) and she did improve somewhat but not enough to be reliable. Bella died early this year, she had inoperable cancer. Well, ultimately inoperable, she'd had two or three lots of surgery earlier. They had her pts when she refused to walk any more and just curled up without moving despite her pain meds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.