Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New nasty behaviour??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Robson123, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Robson123

Robson123 PetForums Newbie

I have a Jack russel x plumber terrier and in the last month or 2 his behaviour seems to be getting worse. He has become very possessive of food - for example if I am preparing tea he will sit at feet and growl at anyone who comes near me. His behaviour to people coming to the door/through the garden gate has gone awful - he runs towards them growling & barking really nastily.
    Anyone any ideas why this may be??

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

How old is he, and is he entire or castrated?
    It's rather unusual to have a Plummer terrier (or cross of one) in a pet home. They are normally only used as working terriers.

leashedForLife likes this.
  3. Robson123

He is 3 and entire! We got him when he was just 8 mths old.

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Is this a recent change in behaviour? How has he responded to training since you've had him?

5. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Sounds like serious resource guarding and territorial possessiveness.
    I would imagine this is not something that just happened but has been creeping along under the radar (might have been showing more subtle signs that were ignored) and now with more social and mental maturity it has all escalated to this level.
    That said, it's always a good idea to do a thorough vet check when there is a change in behavior.

Sounds like you could use some professional help. Resource guarding is very fixable, but probably best to do it under the guidance of someone who knows what they're doing.
    Where are you located? Someone should be able to recommend a good trainer near you.

Robson123 likes this.
  6. Robson123

What kind of subtle hints would there have been please?
    He has also started to growl quietly at the children too which is worrying me a bit.....

7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

With resource guarding you usually see things like stillness, lowered head, hard stares, not wanting to leave an area, leaving an area slowly and walking stiffly.
    With food you might see the dog stop eating, or hunch their body over the food to cover more of it with their body.

Without seeing the dog in person of course it's all speculation which is why you really should get a professional involved.

Robson123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice