Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New mice: fighting or playing?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by ValVal, May 15, 2020.

1. ValVal

ValVal PetForums Newbie

Hi,

About 2 months ago we got two pet mice, one of them was very sick and inactive from the start (we got them from a pet shop) and passed away two days ago. We were worried that the mouse that was left would get lonely and got her a new friend yesterday. They did well during the introduction and slept together overnight in the main cage (which we cleaned out for a “fresh start”).
    However, they still sometimes chase each other and squeak. I’ve read different things about this kind of behaviour, some say it’s them fighting, others say it’s them playing. I’ve checked both of their bodies thoroughly and there are no injuries what so ever, they are both eating and drinking fine.
    Should I be worried or is this normal?

2. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I assume they're both female? If so I wouldn't be too worried. Female mice tend to be really easy going, it's very rare for them to need to be separated.
    It might be low level aggression rather than playing because it's early days and they need to get to know each other.

Personally I would just let them get on with it unless they start drawing blood. They should settle down soon.

It can help if they have enough resources that they don't have to compete. So multiple sleeping areas/nestboxes, scatter feed rather than using a food bowl, etc.

ValVal likes this.
  3. ValVal

ValVal PetForums Newbie

T
    Thank you, they’re good now! I guess I was just being a worried mouse-mum :)

Colette likes this.
  4. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Glad they're getting along. Girls are great, they're usually so easy lol.
    I adopted 2 boys end of last year that supposedly lived happily together... as predicted that was a very different story!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice