Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Eddie, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Eddie

Eddie PetForums Newbie

Hi All,
    I am a new member in Glasgow,
    I wonder if anyone can help me with a few problems my dog is giving. She is a cross breed collie [choclaate brown and very foxlike] We got her from the local dog rescue about 4 mths ago she is about 18-24 mths. She was very timid at first but has got better. The main problem is that she is very attention demanding, she follows me or my wife about the house constantly, if left alone for any time even 15 mins she goes mental on our/my return running and jumping somerimes whining. When told to do something she will often only do it on 3rd or 4th command and if spoken to commandingly she will sometimes yelp as though she had been hit. At night she will leave her basket in the living room and try and sleep under our bed. Often during the day she will lay under the dining room table. I have tried behaviour classes without much success.
    Thanks in anticipation,
    Eddie

2. Magik

Magik Guest

Hi and welcome to the site.

I think the best thing you can do is give your dog some time out. I have had this problem with dogs in the past and it can be dealt with. I suggest you start to give your dog some time alone. Put your dog in the room they sleep and close the door. No matter how much your dog barks ignore it.. if you give in when they are barking all you are doing is teaching her that barking gets her what she wants. Eventually she will stop whining and probably go to sleep. Best time to give her time alone is after a big walk as she will tire sooner and not bark fro as long and will probably fall asleep.

When she has fallen asleep or shut up for a while go and open the door. It;s important that she learns that you will come back when she's been locked away. You will soon build up the trust and she will take herslef for a little nap and time out.

I hope everything goes ok!!

3. Poor dog, sounds like she had a horrible past. Good luck with her.

4. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hi and welcome to the forum, i hope some one can help with your dog,

5. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome :)

6. carol

carol PetForums VIP

i would get her a cage it will be hers and only hers, and safe place also i would put in a old jumper with you and or wife's scent on it.
    we have a boarder collie rescue she was pretty much like yours following me and vince everywhere this is what i did and now she's not bad,
    we tell her to go to bed and she heads straight for her cage, she'll come and see where we are and then shoots back to her bed,
    we also do lots of training with her take her mind off of things she likes to use her brain were going to take her to agility, we do flyball with her as well
    but yes she screams as well if you go to get her collar so i think she was beaten as a pup as well,
    we know she was on deaths door bleeding from every opening she had.
    they fed her junk food
    and she also doesnt like play fights if me and vince start to play hit each other she goes mad but over the months she's learning were playing.

1 person likes this.
  7. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum - I think the crate idea sounds a good one - take it slowly with her and good luck :)

8. Eddie

Eddie PetForums Newbie

Magik, thanks for advice, barking does not happen while we are there, she is quite content. Though she does bark when anyone comes to the door which I am ok with. We had her sleeping and eating in the hall, fairly long and narrow but she kept opening the bed room door. Now she sleeps in living room at night but eats in hall. Are dogs ok in complete darkness? eg the hall at night.

9. Magik

Magik Guest

most dogs should be ok with darkness but as she's a rescue dog it's hard to tell what she is scared of and what experiences she has had. Best thing to do is try to reintroduce her to things she is scared of in a positive way... I'm sure she'll get there!! Sounds like you;re doing a good job with her anyway as she wants to be close to you.... would be a lot worse if it was the other way round.. least she's happy!!

10. Eddie

Eddie PetForums Newbie

Thanks to all who gave advice with my dog problem, have now got some ideas for Tootsie[my 18 yr daughter named her in vengance]

11. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

hello and welcome hope everything goes well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice