Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Dreamiesburglar, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Dreamiesburglar

Dreamiesburglar PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I've recently become the slave of a cute moggy and rescue cat called Luna.
    She is not my first cat. I've had many throughout my life. All males before her. Our last cat was Cleo. He had a female name because he was initially thought to be a she but he was a he.
    The name wasn't changed though.
    He was my bf's cat for 18 long years and when me and bf went to live together he became mine too. I was his adoptive mum for his last 3 years or so. He loved me like I loved him.
    He passed in 2013 after a mass in his lung was discovered and he had become very wobbly and anorexic since he couldn't breathe right. We had to say goodbye sadly.
    Bf said no more cats as the death of his dear buddy was hard for him but we kept saying how we missed having a cat so now we have Luna.
    She was given to us for free by one of his co-workers. Exactly 2 weeks ago.
    We don't know much about her history. She was taken from a care home apparently then lived for a month with coworker, who already had two cats and has 4 toddlers.
    Here she has a lot of quietness instead as we have no kids or other pets.
    We live in a flat on the 2nd floor so she will be indoor only.
    Our only issue, if we can call it that, is that she's very timid. She's not aggressive as she let me stroke her very briefly without reacting at all, but she won't come out at all to eat or use her litter tray if we are around. She likes to hide in our spare bedroom behind some storage boxes where we can't really get to her without moving everything or in the wardrobe.
    Hopefully that will get better with time. I'm giving her another couple of weeks to adjust more before I drag her to the vet to be spayed etc.
    She was given to us as an 8 months old cat but she looks like an adult cat to me.
    I have also had dogs in my life. I love both dogs and cats very much.
    Sorry for the long introduction. Much love to all the other slaves and their masters on here and pet owners in general <3

#1 Dreamiesburglar, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF.

The main thing is not to force her and let her go at her own pace. She might eventually come to you of her own accord, she may just like a bit of peace and quiet and appreciate the safe home you have given her.

Either way, it's her choice. I know we all want our cats to be total lovebugs and to want to lie on your lap, but some cats just aren't like that.

Time will tell, good luck :)

3. Dreamiesburglar

Dreamiesburglar PetForums Newbie

Thanks.
    Oh yes, we aren't forcing her to do anything at all and respecting her wishes. We do talk to her in the room but none of us tries to forcefully make her do anything. She does only what she feels like doing.
    None of my past cats were lap cats anyway so I'm used to an independent cat. Only Cleo was and he wasn't technically mine but consider him among mine too after all. I have a pic of him sitting in my lap actually!
    I make sure she has food down and water and a clean tray. That's my job.
    I am feeding her at the moment Feringa, Applaws pate complete and Rosie's Farm on rotation. She eats everything without leaving a crumb in the bowl. Glad she's not a fussy eater :).
    A couple of nights ago she went naughty and went in the kitchen and stole a whole pack of Dreamies (that's why I chose a certain username haha) and some bread while I was asleep. Mind you, she had been fed already.
    I've learned my lesson and won't leave treats anymore within her reach. The bag was sealed by the way and on the table. She wasn't scolded because no point. Little thief surprised me with her stealing the bread as well, though! She had a few bites and then abandoned everything near the bin.
    We have had a Feliway plugged in for a while now to create a more comfortable atmosphere for her.
    We don't care if she's not a lap cat or never will be. We just want her to be happy really and not be scared of us.

4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice