Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Geoff Cooper, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Geoff Cooper

Geoff Cooper PetForums Newbie

Happy New Year to all!
    My name is Geoff Cooper and I would like to introduce myself, and my dog 'Ruddles' to other members.
    Ruddles is a Collie/Setter cross that I adopted from 'The Gerry Green Foundation Trust, Broughton, in 2004, aged 2.
    He is now 18 1/2 Years old, deaf, has cataracts in both eyes, poor gums (and subsequently smelly breath), incontinence and very week legs that tend to give way sometimes, although he does not appear to be in any pain currently.
    I would very much value other member's opinions/advice on any non-invasive treatment that I can offer Ruddles to help make his life more comfortable.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Kind regards
    Geoff Cooper

rona likes this.
  2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

What a great age. :)
    What has your vet prescribed and what particularly do you think needs help?
    Brain stimulation is so important for old dogs and regular pottering if possible to keep those joints loose. I used to scatter a few biscuits around the floor a few times a day, just to keep my old boy moving

With your dogs issues, sense of smell is the key

Torin. likes this.
  3. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to you both:)

4. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

What an amazing age Ruddles is.I think there's a delicate balance between getting lots of rest and enough stimulation for an old dog, aswell as good health care,of course.Dogs can be very good at not showing pain,I generally believe that if a dog has a condition that is known to be painful,it is likely to be so,no matter how stoic the dog is.What happens when his legs give way?Has he had a recent vet check?Do you have access to some 'safe' places where the can go for a little sniff where he isn't likely to be bounced on by younger, lively dogs etc.I sometimes think we have to trade the park in for a nice grass verge somewhere,on lead to keep safe,where there are sniffs but not too much else going on.
    Have you had a look at the Oldie Support thread (in Sticky Posts in dog chat).
    Good luck to you and beautiful Ruddles.Try and enjoy your time together, it's easy to mourn what your dog can no longer do, rather than enjoy the quiet companionship that comes from a long life shared together.

rona likes this.
  5. Geoff Cooper

Good evening Rona, I last took Ruddles to the vet about 12 Months ago to discuss eyes and teeth. Operations were advised, but I declined. Subsequently I now spend many a happy afternoon trawling the shelves of pet stores in search of things to help mask his bad breath and ease any joint pains. He does still manage a 1/2 mile walk each morning, although what took 20 minutes 12 Months ago now takes 45 minutes!
    Yes, you are quite right Silverpaw, I do try to value every day with him and not ponder too much over the inevitable future. I am fortunate enough to have a fair size garden that Ruddles can potter around in his own time and pace in relative safety. Thank you for your suggesting the 'Oldie Support' thread. I shall certainly search the threads. Kindest Regards Geoff

rona likes this.
  6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I'm not surprised. I'm amazed they suggested it.
    My old boy had awful breath in his last couple of years. I didn't find anything that worked :(

7. Silverpaw

I know my vet would only do life saving surgery on my dog (15 years +)so I'm not surprised you didn't go ahead with it for Ruddles at his grand age.
    Maci used to have CSJ Seaweed and Parsley, with good effect, similar to Plaque Off, which didn't work on him, but stopped it when he developed issues with his liver.I check any supplements with vet now, just incase they aren't suitable for his conditions (some liver and kidney issues).
    I know how hard it can be not to let worrying about our precious friends get in the way,they do know how to worry us!It sounds like you have a great set up for Ruddles.
    Have some tissue at hand when you look at the 'oldies support' thread.It seems to make my eyes go a bit leaky at times!

rona likes this.
  8. Geoff Cooper

I appreciate your comments, thank you. Even though I think Ruddles may already have kidney problems, could you tell me please where you obtained the Seaweed & Parsley?
    Kind regards.

9. Geoff Cooper

I don't think there is anything special about my set up with Ruddles, I just want to try and maintain his routines the same as he's been conditioned to during his life.

10. Silverpaw

I think I had the seaweed and parsley from a company that is no longer trading, called My Itchy Dog.I think you can get it from Amazon,eBay,CSJ themselves etc.
    It was because of the salt content that I stopped it from Maci's diet when liver problems were identified.It looked like he had liver and spleen cancer,we were ready to say goodbye to him but fortunately,our very experienced and brilliant vet, investigated further and discovered that he had hepatic nodular hyperplasia.Have to be careful with his diet now, anything fatty affects him badly and he also has issues with kidneys.His spleen was removed as an emergency life saving procedure in September 2019.Fortunatley he's still with us.Old dogs are so remarkable.Very best wishes to you and beautiful Ruddles.

11. Silverpaw

Ahh, bless you and I'm sure you are doing what comes naturally to look after your faithful friend, Ruddles.However,I suspect that your set up is very special,you want to maintain his routines and I know from experience that this takes considerable effort with an oldie.Very best wishes from me and a big woof from Maci to Ruddles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice