Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

New member..puppy blues! Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Murphy’sLaw, Jul 12, 2018 at 9:06 AM.

1. Murphy’sLaw

Murphy’sLaw PetForums Newbie

Hi I’ve just joined as I thought this might be a good place to get some advice.
    Recently adopted a lovely little puppy, he’s been with us a month now and I’m really struggling!
    I love him to bits but I’m finding him such hard word work..I also have a 4yr old little boy and they are really not getting on.
    I know it’s early days and I’ve gotta grit my teeth but I really just want some reassurance that this won’t last forever!
    Tia

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It won't last, don't worry. Puppies grow up all too fast. What exactly are you finding hard, and why isn't he getting on with your son?

3. Murphy’sLaw

Hi thanks for your reply! I think what I’m finding difficult is the fact that I did so much research, we talked and talked about what breed and the pros and cons and waited a year until my son was a little bit older and starting school and I feel like I still got it all wrong! Lol
    The constant nipping, ankle biting, ragging at his pj bottoms and socks.
    We’re having issues with separation anxiety..not at night but during the day if I need to nip out he’s very distressed...I’ve tried the tips like covering the crate, a comforting blanket, his favourite toys and a chewy and leaving the telly on.
    I know it won’t last forever but I’m exhausted lol

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Keep pup on a harness with a short lead attached around the house. Then if he starts on your son, you can just pick up the end and remove pup from the room - cutting the handle off the lead is best, so it won't snag on things as it trails behind. Pup will soon learn that sort of behaviour means the end of any fun. When pups become over-tired - the same sort of frantic behaviour you'll see in children, it's time for an enforced time out for a sleep. Is your son old enough to be able to put a toy in front of the dog's face, to re-direct him onto that? Are you using a crate and/or puppy pen?

5. Murphy’sLaw

That’s a good idea about the harness..I shall pick one up at the weekend.
    I have been making a loud noise like clapping or tapping something and then putting him immediately into the kitchen when he starts getting worked up and nipping ankles but he tends to get very distressed and just pees all over the floor.

Yes I do have a crate which I use at night and if I need to go out..do you think I should use it more often? I didn’t really want to use it as a ‘punishment’ if you see what I mean!
    Yes my son is old enough to do it but 90% of the time they’ve both got eachother over excited and neither puppy or child are listening to my instructions.

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I had crates I put my pups in when they needed a sleep, they didn't seem to see it as a punishment. I had twin girls who I'd bred, one crate on top of the other so the top one needed to be lifted in. I'd put them in with a chew, and there was a bowl of water in there. Then lights out and leave the room; in an hour or two they'd be all sweetness again.

7. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Puppy blues we have all been there, more than once I thought of sending Dillon back to his breeder.

Do you have a play pen, it would be ideal to put your puppy in, it will give you a break and your son sometime on your own and give your puppy his own play space.

8. Murphy’sLaw

Hi thanks ..I use the crate at night and he’s great in there at bed time but he really protests during the day, so perhaps a playpen would be better for day time. I will look at getting one this week and see how it works out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice