Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New member poorly old cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Annakitty, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Annakitty

Annakitty PetForums Newbie

Hi guys
    I have a 17 year old normal Domestic short hair cat who for a few months has on occasion been pooing in the house not in her litter tray, same spot. It is always wet and so we took her to get wormed see vet who did thyroid test negative.
    She has lost loads of weight and her fur near her tail became lumpy. I had to cut some out although this got better and resolved itself over last few weeks. However her having very runny and smelly poo is getting worse and she is doing it more so on carpet again. occasionally she screams out like she is shouting but normally She seems absolutely fine in herself other than this although is always begging for food rather loudly very early am.
    We took her back to the vets last week who did blood thyroid test again and again negative.. The vet says she is just old and it may be time to go but can anyone advise if the is anyone else I should be doing/trying... Thanks :(

2. fierceabby

fierceabby PetForums VIP

I have no idea but it does sound worrying - I am also unhappy that your vet has said 'oh she's old' I would take her to a different vet and see what they say. My vet is brilliant and very sensitive to my oldie and he always gives her big cuddles and does everything to help her, rather than say 'oh she's just old'. x

3. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Have the vets run a full blood profile?

Sounds to me she may have a form of Inflammatory Bowel disease which has caused a malabsorption problem (weight loss, diarrhoea) which a change in food (novel protein) could resolve. What are you currently feeding her?

4. Annakitty

Yes I have read about that she hasn't had full blood work they didn't offer, like the other person i also felt the vet was a bit off to be honest saying she is just old... But having been twice now seeing two different vets same practice they both just did the thyroid test? I think anyway it was about £30 ? So don't think it was full bloods?
    She is just on a senior go cat and punches of wet food, same as she has always had.

5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Can you tell us what you are feeding her on?

You might need to change her diet. Being older there is food available for senior cats.
    She could have IBS or an allergy to certain foods.

Also how you are cleaning up after her.
    It is sometimes best to use enzyme killer which will leave no smells that will attract her to do it in the same place.

Also you could buy some puppy pads and put the litter tray on top and around the tray. See if that helps.

6. Annakitty

She hasn't had full profile done? Just thyroid test twice now by two different vets same practice.

She is just on dry go cat and Kitty cat punches wet food. She prefers wet to dry food and cries for the wet (i know her teeth are probably not as good as they used to be)

What food would you guys recommend? And should I be pushing for full bloods then? .

7. Annakitty

Also cleaning up with vac carpet cleaner using their shampoo followed by spraying anti bac and neutradol... Not ideal with a toddler running round so I am really appreciating all this advice

8. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

It sounds very like Colitis, one of mine who is 14 has got Colitis, and shre cries out with stomach cramps, sometimes shes sick, others just smelly poo,
    She started doing it outside her tray, but strangely after changing her litter,she using her tray again, still gets the cramps, I take her about once a month for an anti inflammatory injection and it stops for a while, but awful to hear her, she eats fine
    Vet says changing her food wont make any difference

#8 jaycee05, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Gocat is one of the worst foods on the market! Kitty Cat is also not a good quality food. Both these foods contain grains and sugars. Grains are renowned for causing bowel upsets, colitis etc in sensitive cats.

One of my cats has IBD and changing his diet has made a huge difference to his health. No more diarrhoea, no more blood in his stools. You won't know if a change of diet will help your cat until you try, but it could well be the answer as it has been for my cat and so many others.

I would start off by ditching the dry food for good and the Kitty Cat and giving your cat plain poached chicken and some of the cooking water for a couple of days to settle her stomach. Then gradually introduce e.g. Royal Canin Sensitivity Control pouches, which are well tolerated by many cats who have sensitive gut.

Avoid giving her any foods that contain cereals other than rice. Keep to Sensitive canned or pouch foods that are marketed specially for cats with colitis.

#9 chillminx, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  10. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

I'd agree with all the advice here, also yes I think full blood tests would be a good idea at this point especially given her age. Fingers crossed it could be something that is relatively easy to manage or treat :)

11. Annakitty

Ok thanks I have ordered some royal canin pouches and binned the kitty cat, and go cat, she is having just plain chicken today until, the royal canin turns up tommorow. I bought the IBd one for gastro intestinal something or other to try as reviews look good. Fingers crossed

12. fierceabby

fierceabby PetForums VIP

To be honest mines has had full bloods twice in the two years I've had her, firstly when she first came home as I was worried about her obsession with water and wanted to check kidney and thyroid, and then again just last month so she could have dental work done.
    It was great to get an idea of her overall health and then we were able to see if there was any decline compared to two years ago and it helped make a more informed decision before she had her anaesthesia for dental.

They just shave a wee bit of fur from her neck and draw blood, it takes a couple of seconds and Dusty wasn't too bothered by it. It was around £50-60 I think and results back in a couple of days.

Let s know how your senior kitizen gets on. x

#12 fierceabby, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  13. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I agree with the others about changing vets. Old age isn't a condition and there are multiple reasons (some v treatable) for weight-loss which need to be investigated. I've got cats older than 17 and my vets would never just write them off. A full blood profile could well have pinpointed the cause.

How is she doing on the new food?

14. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

This is very unusual advice since altering the diet is the mainstay of treatment for colitis or any form of inflammatory bowel disease, the idea being that by avoiding the triggers (inciting food) the symptoms cease. When you say anti-inflammatory do you mean a steroid injection?

15. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I wouldn't be happy with any vet who just said its old age without doing other tests, what a lazy attitude. Are you expected to just let her be uncomfortable or in pain. I would certainly be going elsewhere to a more sympathetic vet.

16. Annakitty

Ok so far so good started the royal canin and she loved it, first hurdle over, so far no accidents she is using litter tray :)

17. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Are stools firming up as well? Hopefully she'll being to put on weight as well now!

18. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

My vet put mine on the RC Gastro diet as a starting point when I took him in with dire rear and sickness. It did sort him out :) Surprised your vet didn't suggest change of diet straight off.

Good luck with it.

After a few months I experimented with other foods cos he got bored with it. If you get to that stage, post again and people will help you with suggestions on what to try, like they did me :)

19. Annakitty

The stools are still a bit runny but she is not rushing and going outside of litter ie on my carpet she is using tray and sometimes they are firmer yes. Thanks for advice guys she loves the royal canin so no problems there so far.

20. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Will try the RC gastro, as it happens her stools seem to have firmed up a bit, not exactly normal, but an improvement, but doesn't seem to have any connection with her food

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice