Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New member - please help with Lola! 9 month old kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by NICOLEnLOLA, Sep 15, 2013.

1. NICOLEnLOLA

NICOLEnLOLA PetForums Newbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All

First post and new member... really need some help, we're really stuck!

In July we moved from a small bedsit flat to a 2 bed house and we brought our 7 month old kitten with us. We rescued Lola when she was only 5 weeks old and she's always been really good. I was up with her every 2 hours for the first month making sure she went to the loo in the right place and had food etc.

She's been a little superstar and brings me and my husband lots of joy ... here's the problem. Since we moved and had her spayed (because we now have a garden so she can go outside) she's started to wee by the front door on the in-built front door mat (with the rough texture), every night and WILL NOT STOP!!!!!

Here's what I've tried:
    Putting a litter tray there
    spraying outside and inside the house with pheremone stuff to keep other cats away
    put her food there
    washed and scrubbed the mat, the floor underneath and put a different rug over the top
    Put tin-foil over the top

That covers it I think... The problem other than the fact it's dirty and not ok for her to keep peeing indoors... is that it's not our home it's rented and it's a terraced house so it has a long unventilated passage way so the smell of ammonia when you walk in the house is awful.

I know she's not doing it on purpose and I'm not cross with her, I do show her if I see it and say firmly 'NO' and I know it's not a UTI because it's only in 1 place and only over night / early hours of the morning... which means I don't see her do it so can't spray her with water to get her to stop.

Please, please don't tell me that once they start peeing somewhere you can't get them to stop because there must be SOMETHING!!!!!

HELP... PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

What have you used to clean the mat and the floor with?

A solution of water and biological washing powder, or something like Simple solution is best, as it breaks down the enzymes (?) which the cat can still smell, but we cant.

Simple Solution Stain and Odour Remover by Pets at Home | Pets at Home

I know you have said you have put a tray there - is this at night time when she seems to use the mat? If the tray is there does she go somewhere else instead?

3. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

Welcome!
    I suggest the same as MCWillow. You must get the urine smell out otherwise she will continue peeing there. Urine proteins are big and don't wash out easily, that's why you need an enzymatic soap to break it down.

Maybe there's another cat around and she's marking her territory to keep other cats away?

4. NICOLEnLOLA

Hi both

I use warm water with washing up powder in it on both the cement underneath and also on the mat... I think I might need to get a new mat as it doesn't matter how much I scrub because it's that 'doormat' material and really really hard to clean and get the smell out so that might be part of the problem.

When I put the litter tray over the spot where she pees she pees in another spot on the mat! She's a little beggar!!!!!!!!!! :D

That hallway is the only place she's ever gone that's not in her tray.

If she was peeing by the back door I'd totally think it had something to do with other cats because both next doors have 2 cats (and they all do a good job of tolerating each other) but the front door goes onto a main road and the cats tend to avoid it.

I'll change the doormat next week - it's inset so I have to have it cut to size... I think I'm gonna have to keep her downstairs without having access to the hall... she's not going to like that cos she sleeps upstairs with us!... I don't see that I can do anything else.

When I put the new mat down is there anything else you can suggest?

Thanks for all your help!

Attached Files:

5. Kyria

Kyria PetForums VIP

She is beautiful and has a naughty look about her face :)

Im sure if you completely change the doormat it will deffinately help. Goodluck.

6. NICOLEnLOLA

Trust me... that's not just a look that's in her eyes!!!! That naughty streak runs through and through!!! :eek:

7. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Is the mat coir? might be because when its wet it smells like outdoors as its a type of grass. I would replace it with a ribbed type mat and replace with the coir when you leave. Cant you cover it with something when you go to bed? plastc sheet or thick newspaper. I ve heard cats dont like tin foil, perhaps lay that on the mat. Good luck, I have an old dog on water tablets who often wees in her sleep, its a devil to get rid of the smell!:(

8. NICOLEnLOLA

yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That might explain it!!!!!!!!

9. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

Also wash the floor with an enzyme cleaner as that's the only way to really get rid of the smell. If she can smell it she'll keep using it.
    Also try a bigger tray that covers the whole mat?

10. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Look at that little face - it can't possibly be Lola :D

Naughty tortie :D

11. NICOLEnLOLA

Right so next steps are...
    • wash the outside steps and the under-floor with enzyme cleaner (until I can get some I'll stick with the washing powder)
    • buy a new mat and put a plastic covering over it (it's cut to size and covers the whole first half of the hallway so can't be replaced with anything else)
    • put some rosemary in a pot outside the front door (to keep the smells and evil away apparently!)
    • get a feliway plug in
    • put her litter tray upstairs in the bathroom so she doesn't have so far to go for a wee at night.
    • Get up with her and let her out when she wakes me up between- 4-6am
    • If all else fails she'll have to be banished to the downstairs with the door to the hallway shout

She's a very naughty tortie!!!! Mini high-five from Lola to all of you for your help!!!!

Attached Files:

12. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

She might be a very naughtie tortie - but she is absolutely gorgeous :001_wub:

Could you keep a permanent tray in the bathroom, and one downstairs as well?

Blossom is a tortie, and a little moo as well. She is fine to wee in the tray, but if she wants a poo she always tries to find somewhere else to go first :nonod:

Usually she chooses a cat bed, and we catch her at it as she starts digging so she is picked up and put in the tray, but if she can get away with it, she will!

13. NICOLEnLOLA

I can keep one downstairs as well in the usual place as well cos she poo's in the one downstairs and then obviously wee's in the hallway!!!

She's my little lovely! We have regular Lola luvvies... although NOT when she's pee'd on the floor!!!!!

:001_tt1:

14. tillysdream

tillysdream Banned

I cannot add anything more to the good advice you already have been given.

But just had to comment on how adorable the "high five" pic is!!! Cutie pie. :D

15. NICOLEnLOLA

Thanks everyone!!! I take full credit for her cuteness!!! Sorry it's taken me a while to reply... Lola has been a very poorly little kitten :(
    She'd eaten something that made her very poorly several trips to the vet (and a significantly lighter pocket) later she seems to be on the mend! :thumbup:

I'll keep you all up to date on the wee situation as she gets better!!!!!

16. tillysdream

tillysdream Banned

Awww poor Lola, and you :( But glad to hear she is on the mend.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice