Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new member in need of advice please

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by slw, May 3, 2011.

1. slw

slw PetForums Senior

Hi everyone
    i have just joinedas i have been looking for answers to what could have killed my cat that recently died very suddenly for what reason i dont know for sure - and i feel the advice i received from the vets wasnt the best. i blame myself as i was unsure with their advice and actions, but believed they were the professionals and not me, so followed their advice. i didnt know if i could explain on here exactly what happened, if anyone would be able to give their view? its quite a long story, so just wanted to check before going ahead. its bothering me so much not knowing what went wrong - and being 8 months pregnant its been very stressful.
    thank you

2. CandyApocalypse

CandyApocalypse PetForums Member

If you share your story, we can try and give some general ideas. What information did your vet give you at the time.

I am very sorry for your loss.

3. shells

shells PetForums VIP

so sorry for your loss hun x

4. slw

slw PetForums Senior

i will just give you a quick run down of my boy - he was almost 14 years old, he was knocked by a car when he was 2 and developed arthritis quite a few years ago which made him walk with a wiggle - though he never seemed to show any pain, he must have been in pain! he had also struvite and oxalate crystals, he had been on royal canin uriniary for years, changed to royal canin renal this january when he had his booster. he had lost a bit of weight when we went for his booster, but had put some back on since then. his kidney results were showing okay (tho vet said results dont show any problem until 75% damaged) the concentration of his urine wasnt that good apparently. he did wee quite a bit and it was always quite strong smelling and yellow. he also had a mild heart murmer. other than all these things, he was a very lively, happy boy.
    i noticed a couple of months ago that one of his eyes was squinting a bit, so kept my eye on it and decided to get it checked a the vets, make sure there was no ulcer. it didnt seem to bother him - he wasnt pawing at it, just squinting, no discharge or tears. vet said he had a little bit of conjunctivitus and gave him some fucidermic ointment for 7 days and metacam after the 7 days the eye seemed the same, i rang the vet to see what she advised, she asked to see him again just to check it out. she seemed to think it wasnt too bad, but gave him some maxitrol drops and said they may cause an ulcer (alarm bells should have rung out for me!) sure enough it caused an ulcer a few days later... so had to take him back again, she confirmed the ulcer and said it was superficial, put him on chloramphenicol eye drops and prednicare tablets - the drops seemed to make the eye swell up so i rang the vets, they said they didnt need to see him again just go back to the fucidermic ointment and metacam and prescribed some antibiotic tablets. they said he would need a contact lense putting in and a stitch to bring the lower eye lid down because hairs were curling into his eye and would aggrevate it. i said was it okay to have surgery after all the different medication he had had, she said they could do a blood test before just to check things, i agreed. he developed diarrhea over the weekend. i took him to the vets on monday morning no sure i wanted to leave him for surgery as he had had diarrhea - the vet assured me he was okay and they would put him on a drip to get some fluids into him. i picked him up later on after surgery and he seemed fine. they said he may be woozy cos he had had strong painkiller - equivalent to morfine, he was very lively when we got home and ravenously hungry. they said to give him something light, like chicken, so i did. he developed diarrhea the next day, not too bad and he was okay in himself. i rang the vet on weds to say a was worried about the diarrhea, maybe it was the chicken causing it (he had very sensitive tummy) he agreed and said get him back onto his normal diet, if he wont eat it take it away and keep offering it - it wont hurt if he doesnt eat for a day or 2. i wasnt sure about this as he was quite skinny anyway, but he assured me it was okay. i should have seen the vet thurs morning when he was working but he was already booked up, so had to get a fri morning appointment. my cat hadnt eatent anything since weds morning ( i also gave him a teaspoon of olive oil in case he may have
    hair balls - he had lots of loose hair). i asked the vet if there was any other food i would tempt him with, but they said no. when i got home from work on weds there was a lot of watery diarrhea (just the one visit to the cat litter) but he seemed okay, still didnt want his usual food tho. thurs morning he didnt want his usual food. i got home from work on thurs and he was a little bit quite, but got up and ate a little of his usual food ( i picked up a different flavour in desperation from vets) had a drink then went outside and came back in to bed. i thought he prob just felt groggy so let him rest. he seemed quite lethargic at 8pm so rang the vets - i asked if he could be dehydrated from the diarrhea, but he didnt seem to think so (dont know how he could say without seeing him) and i really got the impression he didnt want to be called out (this was a vet i hadnt seen before). about an hour later i took my cat up to the bedroom to keep an eye on him - he jumped onto the bed and did a really big wee - very yellow and fruity smelling. i rang the vet again and he said it wouldnt be dehydration it was prob a urinary tract infection and as i was booked in in the morning he should be okay. i knew i should have insisted on taking him in, but he didnt seem concerned and somehow i was talked out if it. i was woken at 1am by him meowing in distress. he had done a little diarrhea and was breathing irratically and watering at the mouth. i rang the vet and said i needed to bring him in he was very distressed. he didnt sound too impressed.... when we arrived he did some checks, my cat didnt have a body temperature he was so cold. his heart was beating irratically. he said he is very skinny, i said yes a know he has had diarrhea and i was told if he didnt eat his normal food then to feed nothing else for a couple of days. he put him on a drip and his circulation was better and heart was regulated. he also put a heater on him to warm him up. he said he would go back and check on him in a few hours. i wanted to stay with him, but he said i couldnt. 2 hours later i got a call to say he had passed away 10 minutes ago. it all happened so quickly, but i wish we hadnt messed with his eye and all the medications, and then i wish i had used my instinct to take him in thursday evening whether the vet felt it necessary or not. he was perfectly happy, i cant understand what went wrong. they didnt ask me to check his gums or skin for dehydration, i have found this out since. they didnt seem to think he died from dehydration, but they gave no other clues. without a portmortem i suppose it is impossible, and my boyfriend said a postmortem wouldnt bring him
    back, so we didnt get one done. i feel so sorry that i let him suffer and didnt get him to the vet sooner.

5. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Hi slw, welcome to Pets Forum, sorry to have joined us in such unhappy circumstances.

Please do share your story with us, don't worry about the length of it, and I am sure our many members will do their best to give you the information you want. You might also find that by 'writing' everything down, it may help you in the process of coming to terms with your loss and, being very pregnant, you need as little stress as possible at this time.

((hugs))

6. staffy_missy

staffy_missy PetForums Member

im so sorry for your loss :( please feel free to tell us your story so we can try help you through this hard time x

7. slw

slw PetForums Senior

hi
    my message has come through now - it seemed to take a while to show. just feel it was my fault, and really cant come to terms with it. i would have been devastated if i had known what was wrong, but this just seems worse. it was as if everything was against him!
    thank you for looking.

8. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Hi, sorry for you loss, im not able to help you with any answers, hopefully someone will come back to you soon xxx

9. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Welcome to petforums, and I'm truly sorry for your loss. I know how you are feeling, as I lost Sooty last Thurs.

I'm afraid I'm not much of an dxpert, but I hope Ianthi will be along soon, who knows quite a bit on cat health and may have some suggestions.

I would say that your vet was wrong in telling you not to feed anything else, as especially with a crf cat (kidneys) it is important for them to at least eat something. They should have advised to try boiling some white fish or persist with the boiled chicken, as both are mild on their tummies. Also, they should have been more concerned about the diarrhea combined with the other symptoms.

Please don't feel guilty though, you loved your kitty dearly and you did what your vet advised you to, as most of us would.

If you need to talk, PM me :) big hugs!!!

10. staffy_missy

staffy_missy PetForums Member

this is one of the worst things that could happen to anyone. 2 years ago my kitten was really poorly and i kept taking her to the vet but they didnt understand what was wrong with her which was driving me crazy with worry. Then one day i came home and there she was she had passed away while i wasnt there :( i still blame myself to this day for not taking her to anotha vet and not being there for her. I still think about her everyday and i cried myself to sleep every night for months after she passed away. But it does get easier even tho you will never forget your loved 1. If you need a chat at anytime please dont hesitate to message me sometimes it helps to talk x

11. slw

slw PetForums Senior

i felt i was doing the wrong thing by not feeding him unless it was his usual food, but for once i did as i was told and i regret it so much. he kept going to the fridge hoping for some chicken - but a kept offering him the sensitivity and renal food, but he just wasnt interested. so it wasnt as if he couldnt eat, he just wanted the chicken. i had bought a whole chicken and cooked it the night before the vet had said to stop the chicken, wish i had just given it to him, i dont see it could have made the situation any worse.
    it seems so wrong that he isnt here - okay, i know i dont know what was going on inside him - maybe there was something and the not eating and being a bit dehydrated hit him quicker than most cats, but we had managed to sort him out with any problems in the past. this happened so quickly. the vet said cats dont die that quick from dehydration and that it was a strange death that they dont really have any answers to. my vet of 4 years who was really patient and good with him had left the practice in january -i dont think what happened would have happened if she had been here. i feel it was all a bit rushed anot enough checks were done, i didnt see a charge for a blood test prior to the surgery, so im guessing that wasnt done either. i know i should have pushed all these things and made sure but i just assumed they knew what they were doing.

12. slw

slw PetForums Senior

thank you for your replies - it does help to talk about it, though it does make me cry! im driving my family mad by saying i should have done this or that - but they are just worried because i am 3 weeks away from my due date and im in pieces over my cat. it really is all like a bad nightmare. i keep thinking why didnt i just carry on feeding him the chicken! i was at work up until this week, so wasnt able to be at home to keep an eye on him as much as i wanted to either. now i have all the time in the world and its too late. om not even convinced there was much wrong with his eye in the first place, which has put me off going to vets now!

13. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your cat-please don't blame yourself though. You did all you could and the fact you're so upset shows how much you cared about him. It's awful to lose a pet suddenly like this and I'm sorry the vets couldn't come up with an explanation.

I'm posting now just to offer my sympathy and when I'm less tired tomorrow I'll have a look through your post and see if I can help more. I'm absolutely exhausted now after a long day!!

Do you think it would help if you had a meeting with the head of the practice to discuss things? Especially if you're not happy with the treatment. I understand, of course if you don't feel up to it now but at a later point maybe.

Thinking of you and take care!

14. slw

slw PetForums Senior

i have thought about sending a letter as, even if it wasnt their fault he died, ( i blame myself as i know my cat better and should have said i wasnt happy with withholding food, and asked if there was anything they could do for the diarrhea rather than seeing how he was on friday when i was due to take him back to get his eye checked). i dont think i could face going back to the surgery in person at the moment. i have already registered my other cat at another vets. i had been going to my previous vets for the past 14 years, but felt they didnt take any of his history into consideration with this last episode, i had to point out he had a heart murmer, yet its on his records.
    anyway, sorry for going on - its constantly going round in my head. thank you for looking and being so considerate, i appreciate it so much. i just hope he didnt suffer too much, he never did show pain very well. thank you again.

15. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

You're welcome! Honestly even though I haven't read your post in it's entirety, I would doubt very much if your withholding food had anything to do with it! So stop beating yourself up over this!! :)

More often than not in these cases it's something that went undiagnosed though of course this would be impossible to pinpoint at this stage.

Glad to hear you've switched vets though!

I'll have a good look at post tomorrow!

16. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for the loss of your cat.
    I have read your post and I cannot give any advice on the medical stuff.
    This has been an extremely upsetting time for you and especially as you are due soon to have a baby.
    Try not to beat yourself up.
    Your cat would not want that. You gave him a lovely home and he was loved and well cared for.
    You did everything a loving pet owner would do.
    I think that you have done the right thing to register your other cat with another vet.

I hope that soon happier memories of your cat will soon replace the pain and heat ache that your are going through right now.
    Take care x

17. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss and know you are hurting. As other members have said you should not blame yourself and agree that the with holding of
    food for that short time did not cause this to happen. Keep posting as we can all help you get through this with practical and emotional support.

Your beloved cat is resting now... Gone but never forgotten

I am not one for predictions but could you be having a baby boy

Take care Hun xxxxx

18. slw

slw PetForums Senior

hello - we dont know what we are having yet, though everyone seems to think its a girl!

my cat had been drinking when he was in our bedroom, but after the watery diarrhea being walked all over the room and our bed on wednesday we thought it best to shut both cats in the kitchen with their beds (which wasnt unusual, we did this from time to time) . and although we had heard him drinking from the kitchen bowl with his elizabethan collar on, im now worrying he couldnt get to it properly as the bowl was in a corner. water was filled to the brim though. i would have got a syringe and put some water in his mouth if i had thought he may have gotten dehydrated. it happened so quick, and it didnt help that i was as work all day. when i got back from work on thursday he stood up in his basket and did a wee which was strange, but not totally unheard of for him. would he have been weeing if he was dehydrated and hadnt drunk anything all day?? he did then have a big drink when i took his collar off to tempt him with food.

19. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I know this is hard, but I'd say you need to stop saying "what if". I know I've been beating myself up about not recognising Sooty saying it was his time, but it doesn't help.

Do you have lots of pictures of him? It may be emotional but I'd advise looking through them, that really helped for me. It made me smile and laugh through my tears.

xxx

20. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I've had a good read over events and here are my thoughts so far and a few things for you to clarify!

Firstly, I'm not clear about the length of the interval when he was first seen by the vet for his eye problem and when he had the operation. What medications was he on at this point and for how long? You mention he was on Predicare which is a steroid-was he still on this? Was this tapered off or stopped abruptly? I'm not for a moment saying the caused his sad demise just clarifying. Another point is the weight loss and how long this had been going on for. If this had been going on for a while then it could point to some underlying problem.

I know antibiotics can cause diarrhea and it's possible this is the case or they made a contribution.

The only thing I'm wondering about at present based on the low body temperature and the erratic breathing is heart problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice