Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new member help needed with Douge de Bordeaux!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lindsay and diesel, Jan 19, 2012.

1. lindsay and diesel

lindsay and diesel PetForums Newbie

Hello, I am new on here, so a big hello to everyone. I need some help with Diesel, he is my 17 week old DDB puppy, he really is a lovley dog and I have fell head over heals in love with him, the only slight problem is that he refuses to walk on the lead, I have tried everything from holding his treats in my hand, giving him lots of parise and even had my daughter walk ahead slightly so he would follow her - the minuite he has his lead on he just lies down on the floor, pavemant, road wherever we are and he does not move AT ALL. I try and walk him round the garden and he does the same thing, as soon as his lead is on he just WONT BUDGE. the neighbours think its hilaorious seeing me try and walk him :)
    He is getting big allready so in the next few weeks I wont be able to pick him up at all.... its worrying me that he will NEVER walk on the lead and I will be stuck with a BIG dog that I cant take out with me!!!
    Any help would be great please
    Thank you x x x

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

what equipment are you using to walk him, eg chain collar, flat collar, harness etc?

3. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

What did you do to get him accustomed to the leash before trying to take him for walks on it?

4. DT

DT Banned

How long have you had him? gussing not long!
    Do you have a collar on him in the house?

5. lindsay and diesel

he has a normal flat collar which he wears all the time and just a normal lead - I put his lead on and he walks round in the house fine on his own with it - but as soon as i pick up the lead gently he just wont move!!!!

he is good boy and loves it in the car and visiting family but at the moment i have to carry him to the car!!!!

6. lindsay and diesel

hello, he has his flat collar on at all times and I walk him on a normal lead, he walks round the house fine on his own with the lead but as soon as i pick up the lead he lies down and wont move. he is great in the car and loves visiting family,,, the problem is I have to carry him to the car!!!

7. DT

DT Banned

Does he walk on the lead if you take him out in the car and then say walk in a field?

8. DT

DT Banned

And is your garden grass of hard surface?
    Just a flying thought!! but wonder if its grass it could be that he's not been in contact with it before!
    How long did you say you had had him?

9. lindsay and diesel

hello. the garden is grass so he used to been on it, I have had him since 9th December - i drive him to the park and he still wont walk in a lovley big field. DDB are well known for been stubborn.... the vet siad he is having me at it and should walk on the lead soon.... even the vet tried to walk him and he ended up giving up!!! thanks for your help x x x

10. DT

DT Banned

Well all I can say then is persevere, don't make it a chore but a pleasure and don't overdo it! little but often!! Have you tried going ourside and leaving him in and then getting someone to bring him out to you on a lead? Does he chase things? is he food orinated?
    Maybe someone esle can come up with something soon!

11. leashedForLife

9th Dec to Jan-19 = 5.5 weeks -
    he's now 17-WO, so U got this pup at approx 12-WO.
    unfortunately, that's the tail-end of his primary-socialization & habituation period.

he's going to be more hesitant & cautious than a pup who arrived at 56-days / 8-WO & met many
    new situations, friendly folks, etc, at that earlier age.

younger pups are more exploratory & less worried by new-stuff; older pups are more concerned
    about novelty of all sorts: sounds, circs, settings, stim, strangers...
    i'd suggest a new vet! :sosp:

A, labeling a dog or pup 'stubborn' doesn't advance anything; it only makes any problems 'the dog's fault'.
    toss the label, assume the pup is not willfully disobedient but just anxious, & start to teach him
    to relax & try new things... put novel items down to explore, paw at, mouth, chew, rip-up, pounce on, etc.

think of this as summer-school, :p - he missed some early classes & needs to re-learn stuff he missed.

B, claiming the pup is HAVING U ON is just another way of 'blaming the dog'.
    it's not his fault, he's not being a bu##er, he's just an infant - & a somewhat uncertain one.
    :eek:

have the pup wear the leash at home as a drag, ALL the time when he's supervised -
    pick it up every few minutes, pat a leg, call his name, BACK UP, entice him to follow, TREAT,
    etc.

have HIM take U around the house - let HIM decide 'where to go'.
    U follow...
    etc.

then move it to outside the house in the garden/yard, to the porch / entry, the sidewalk, etc.
    CARRY him away... let HIM go 'home' toward whatever is familiar or fun. ;) Build his confidence!

12. Catz1

Catz1 PetForums VIP

My St.Bernard would do that as well, we called it "The Flop" :cool:
    As soon as the lead was on he would drop and there was no moving him. What we did was bring him to a secure area (a tennis court in my case), attach the lead and walk away from him. Then it was just a case of playing with a toy on the other side of the court and acting like it was the best fun ever. Eventually his curiosity got the better of him and he came over dragging the leash.
    We did this a few times, attaching the lead and encouraging him to walk around and play.
    Eventually he associated the lead with moving and fun. His interest in the world increased and he used "The Flop" less often. He was never a puller so we let him choose the speed and direction we went (with gentle direction) and he loved his walks!

13. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Bless, what a lil cutie :) I like the advice above and you could use a long line for safety gradually picking it up as he starts to move and feel more comfortable. Also if you could enlist the help of another dog owner to walk their dog in front of you that may give him an incentive to move forward. ;)

14. lemmsy

lemmsy PetForums VIP

I agree with leashed4lifes post.

Incidentally... have you considered a harness in case he is sensitive around his neck area- as many dogs are.

If you can get one with two points of contact on ring at his shoulders and one at his chest, you can use a double ended lead and attach to both.
    Harnesses with handles are lovely as they avoiding grabbing your dog by the collar, if he finds this worrying. Both my dogs are walked on harnesses and much prefer them.

Introduce it gradually so that he has a nice association with it.
    In a similar way to here:
    Conditioned emotional response

There are various types of harness you can get.
    Dog games ones are lovely: they have an option that goes over the head and another than doesn't it clips on in four places.
    D-rings at the chest optional too:
    Welcome to the Dog-Games Shop

Fleece lined harness with a handle here:
    The home of top quality affordable dog accessories

And here, with jazzy colours and patterns:
    Hurtta Pro Padded Dog Harness - K9active.co.uk

Doxlock Canine Harness Dog Harnesses for Sale
    Trixie Dog Harness XDog at zooplus

2012 Everyday nylon dog harness UK - Better control of your dog [Nylon Harness for dog UK H17] : Dog harness, Dog muzzle, Dog collar, Dog leash - The best dog training equipment!, Fordogtrainers.co.uk

15. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I don't have any real advice, but your post made me laugh. My newfie, Ferdie, was exactly like that and I got quite a reputation, sitting on the grass on the heath for ages waiting for him to move. He was fine going out, just didn't want to come home! The neighbours also thought it was hilarious.

I had a neighbour who used to come out and make a fuss of him on the way back, consequently we would get to his house and he refused to move past it, waiting for Bob to come out and fuss him. I used to hook his lead over their garage door, wave bye-bye and carry on home. He didn't like that, so would unhook himself and follow. it was a quiet road, so not much risk.

I think by now you are expecting him not to move. I know that I used to get so far and think: he's going to lie down in a minute. I solve that by making my mind blank and carrying on walking. To my amazement, he got up and followed.

You might try walking out the door without him, but it really does depend on how busy your area is. I wouldn't risk it on a busy road.

And follow LFL's advice.

16. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

Join the club!! (i think i was the only member up until now!!) I Was (and still occassionally am) experiencing this with my 16.5 week old DDB!! he just sits and WILL NOT MOVE:mad::confused: I started carrying him a little further from the house and would eventually start walking. It took my ages trying to entice him down the road with cheese ham steak, would not budge :mad:

We found ho would walk if the whole family went, otherwise he wanted back to the house. I managed to get him to walk with me now, he sometimes freezes but find a tug on the lead then release normally gets him moving, if i change route he will often become VERY stubborn again, although i have been managing to complete walks recently without too much trouble!!

Good Luck!!

17. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

Ive just looked on our breeders website, and the guestbook, I believe your dog is my dogs brother, i will message you as this seems weird our dogs are possibly from the same litter and having a similar behaviour issue:confused:

18. leashedForLife

a 3-YO Berner that i worked with had a terrible fear - a genuine phobia, with no known trauma of any sort! -
    for anything which resembled a grate: storm-drains at curbs, tree-grates which protect the root area
    under city-sidewalk trees, window-well covers on basement windows, certain kinds of fencing... it was bizarre.

he'd drop as if he was a puppet, & his strings had been cut - straight down, FWUMP - & lie like a dead thing!
    all he had to do was see anything that fit his criteria, & whap!... he was a 185# sack of warm sand, :(

scared the #$*@! out of me, the first time it happened... one moment he was beside me, the next he was gone,
    & when i turned & saw him drooling heavily & panting like a marathon-runner, i thought he was having
    some sort of cardiac episode! :eek: Luckily, his male-owner was with me, pointed to the tree-grate some
    15-feet ahead of us, & explained the issue.
    it took almost a month to get him over it; strangest case i ever handled. [1985 or so, in Pennsy.]

19. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Oh wow! How cool would that be, you can share experiences of the boys and also how nice to know you're both not alone with these "little" imps, lol! :D

20. charlearose

charlearose PetForums Member

we have 4 douge de bordeauxs 2 of which are puppies now 6 months and two bullmastiffs they walk fine on the lead and are a pleasure to walk but its my husband that dose all there training with them i just take them out on the pub crawls on the weekends

with our one year old ddb we got him at 11 months old in november last year and he had lived on a farm and had never ever been on the lead at all so i really sympathise
    it was like having a 8stone - 8 week old puppy that knew buggar all he was scared of everything and when he was in the house he would try and hide behind the sofa or get in the corners and the lead thing omg he tried to strangle himself with it the first time we put it on him

The first time we took him out or rather dh took him out was hysterical i thought that both dh and the dog would have a full on heart attack on the rd and that i would have to carry them home he would not move just sat down and refused to move but dh perserverd with him in a firm but kind way
    Hooker our ddb was scared of everthing from pigeons to bikes to the bloody water bowls in the garden but within a week dh had him walking on the lead 100 percent with no probs and two months on he is changed dog, brilliant obedient and a pleasure to walk with our other 3 ddbs

dh used treats to encourage him and was firm but kind with him all the time he walked him 3 - 4 time a day in short burst of 5 - 10 mins each time building it up he would also just take him out and sit with him near the main rd so that he got used to all the hustle and bustle as well

if your anywhere near bristol give me a pm we are fairly experienced with ddbs and were always out with our dogs on the weekends

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice