Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New McDonalds System Causing Upset... :S

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RachJeremy, Aug 25, 2013.

1. RachJeremy

RachJeremy PetForums Senior

If anyone has been to the new McDonalds in Royston yet... What are your thoughts? I work there, personally i think it's actually good, as your food doesn't sit there for ages, which means buns don't go soggy or nothing generally goes cold...

If you haven't seen the new system, basically it's like argos... Although we're not allowed to say that in store in front of the managers! Your order your food, as normal, then you can either go sit down or stand and wait at the collection area. At the top of the receipt is an order number, which gets called out (plus your order if you're standing staring at us blankly...). Personally i think it's a good system. However there are many who think otherwise.

However we've had so many people complaining because they've had to wait 5+ minutes for their food. Bear in mind, most of these people are ordering food like fish that has to be cooked, or are buying in rush hours when we frequently keep having to put holds on for chicken meat and fish, and apple pies, which take well over 10 minutes to get ready (a few to cook and have to be cooling down for at least 7 minutes i'm told - otherwise they are far too hot to eat). So i can see why they're complaining as usually they get their food quickly. However the quality of the food in this store i personally think is much better as it's all cooked fresh and made to order. So nothing is made up until someone orders it.
    We've had people take food, sit down for 10+ minutes without touching their fries, then they come back complaining they're cold >.< They don't realize how quickly they cool down.

But it's causing a lot of upset and i've even had people complain to me about the fact they cannot get a Big Mac meal before 10:30pm... And try to tell us that other stores do it, when as far as we know they don't.

I thought this would be a good debate to bring up, as it'd be interesting to hear feedback, and if anyone has been to hear what you think. :)

2. tonytibbs

tonytibbs Banned

I worked in Wimpy when I was 16-17 (going back years, I am a dinosaur lol) while I was in high school, as a saturday and sunday job. It was HELL.

I hate McD's, but love their strawberry milkshakes :eek:

Their new system you are describing isn't that much different. As you say people who order veggie burgers, chicken, fish etc had to wait on their order anyhow.

Hats off to you working there, it is HARD work and HOT in the summer time. Hell on earth :lol:

3. RachJeremy

Believe it or not, it is miles better than my last two previous jobs!!! And i much prefer it, i find the work is only hard when it's busy and most of the time i do actually enjoy it. It beats shoveling horse poo for pennys. I get better pay for standing about most of the day cleaning and serving food, i'm no where near as exhausted as i was before, and i have so much more free time!

I love the milkshakes too <3 I'm in love with the caramel frappe at the mo... :\

4. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Did you get your lying-on wages sorted from the other place? I saw your thread about it, but can't find it to see if it got updated.

5. RachJeremy

Adding on... No i don't think it is much different except for the other food like the beef burgers, nuggets ect, nothing sits around for ages. Anything sitting for longer than 20 minutes in the trays is thrown out, and anything that doesn't get taken when our screen clears is thrown too most of the time unless someone orders it and it's still warm enough.
    But so many people have complained about the new system saying it takes far too long and use the "you're meant to be a fast food restaurant!" crap... But they'd have to wait longer in a more expensive place so i don't see what the fuss is!

6. RachJeremy

I'm waiting till i get paid my next wages this coming thurs to apply to a small claims court or whatever it's called. As i had to use my last £100 for petrol which was about £50, and it will cost £60 for the court thingy. But either way, it's being sorted. :)

7. SpotOn

SpotOn PetForums Senior

The system wouldn't bother me.... It's the same when people order breakfasts (as I did today :eek: ), people have to wait for their order to be cooked.

8. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

It wouldn't personally bother me if I had to wait 5 minutes for my food but I can see why it would bother other people. There's nothing more annoying than fast food not being fast I suppose.

9. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

What about drive throughs tho ... if this system is applied everywhere it would affect those wouldnt it ?

10. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

I do like the one near mine's new system of asking if id like salt on the chips, i could actually taste chip rather than salt!

11. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

maccas world wide is shite Im sure lol, the hygeine is feral : /

12. munchkinpie

munchkinpie PetForums VIP

Our work recently went cook to order and the stress levels have shot up and the quality and attention to detail has plummeted due to being rushed. This system sounds flawed for a busy chain, like our work management want hurry and "process" as many customers as they can but are still working with the same amount of staff. In the long run people will get fed up waiting, it's taking the fast out of fast food. If they wanted to wait on food they would go to a restaurant.

13. kathryn773

kathryn773 PetForums VIP

ive experienced this system twice

the first time was a bit of a shock, i was at the 'wrong end' of the counter and didnt realise my food has spewed out at the other. well! i didnt know the system had changed!
    the second time, at a different site (very busy liverpool), i sussed what was going to happen and my food arrived with no wait. SIL waited ages, but she wanted picky order (there's only her who orders a burger with no meat!)

i thought it is a good system, the till area is cleared of people waiting for special orders and the next customer stands half a chance of getting near the till.

14. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

one of my cousins is a manager in Mcdonalds :lol: i wouldnt wish his job on anyone

15. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

i dont see what the problem is. i would rather have freshly cooked food than food that has been sitting on a hot plate for 20 minutes and is stone cold. seems people have way too much time on their hands if they are complaining about hot food. i wonder what they would do in a restaurant, probably have an coronary.

16. porps

porps Swollen Member

if i go in maccy dees i'll often just look to see whats already waiting cooked and then order some of that rather than ordering something i will have to hang around for... i guess that wont be possible with the new system. It was much better when the burgerking in town was just round the corner from mcdonalds... would go get a burger from BK then nip round the corner to get fries and a vanilla milkshake from mcdonalds. best of both worlds.

17. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

Id prefer the normal systen if im honest.

What winds me up is when you have given your order and theres 2 say femal staff just pottering about slowly doing your order whilst having a good old chat with other staff member..and kfc in meadowhall is even worse for it :cursing: if they work any slower they will be going backwards next time im going to complain to manager cause they really do take the biscuit there.

OOh i could soo each a mac d's now!

18. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

I haven't eaten at McDonalds or KFC in ages (4 years clean) but is it really all that different to how it used to be? Didn't you normally have to wait for a few mins anyway?

19. porps

porps Swollen Member

way i see it is if im going in mcdonalds its cos i want fast food - if i had time to wait for something nice i wouldnt be in mcdonalds would i, thats just logic :p

20. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

I went in Cannock McD's and a repairman had pulled a frier out to access the back...

glad i only wanted a coffee

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice