Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New lovebird with a special requirement I'm not sure about...

Discussion in 'Bird Chat' started by Swiftnvee, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Swiftnvee

Swiftnvee PetForums Newbie

Hello! this is my first post. I've come looking for some advice and different opinions from other bird lovers and lovebird owners.

I adopted a lovebird yesterday from an owner who said their lovebird was desperately in need of a partner/boyfriend. I was looking for a partner for my lovebird as well as his old partner passed away last year. The owner asked me details on my boy's routine and so on. When I picked her up, I noticed she came with a nest box as well, full of sticks, shredded cardboard and apparently infertile eggs! she asked if I could keep this with her as she may get upset if I take it away. I haven't had a proper look inside yet as she is still settling into her new home.

I agreed, though I don't have a LOT of experience in breeding lovebirds or nesting behaviour. I'm not sure if I should clean it out, remove the eggs and possibly replace with false ones, take it away, or just leave it as it is. Wont the eggs become rotten? Would she become very stressed if I make changes to it? I'm also worried about her becoming egg bound or overly protective/territorial. If anyone has any advice on this subject it would be greatly appreciated! thank you in advance!

Edit: forgot to clarify! I have no interest in breeding my lovebirds!

Attached Files:

#1 Swiftnvee, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Hi , This section tends to be quiet. Im not experinenced with this situation. What you could do is wait a couple of days and them perhaps remove one egg a day after that.

3. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

if you hve a proven male and female, whether you want to breed them is irrelevant
    if they bond, they will mate anyway
    take the eggs and nest away, it seems to be taking an awful lot of room up in that cage, and s/he doesnt need it,
    a pop hole hide is better for lovebirds, than a front opening one, if they want some 'away' time, anyway
    whether the box is there or not, wont stop her laying, shell just lay on the floor
    and
    dummy eggs are used to allow all eggs to be brooded together, not to stop her laying
    as for whether she does stop laying, thats like asking how long is a piece of string,
    some females only lay when theyve had their bit of fun,
    some, mainly if alone, lay on a 'cycle'
    some lay all the time, as fast as you remove them, theres another one there, with these birds theres less hance of eggbinding tbh, more of her becoming hypocalcemic, through constant laying, so high quality calcium grit MUST be available at all times and a constant check in case she needs a calcium injection from vet
    take the nest away,
    gve them lots of different food,not just petshop stuff ( ive still got dandilions and chickweed growing in the front garden, which is north facing) no lettuse unless you want dirty bums, no peanuts, especially not in shells and not too many sunflowers ( like giving smarties at every meal)
    make sure they have a pot of calcium grit and a cuttle fish ( doesnt do much for calcium levels but if theyve always had one they seem to expect one, they normally use it more as a perch) little amounts of berries, wedges of washed apples and pears, no citrus
    safe tree branches, willow, apple, pear etc of differring sizes and widths ( if from wild, soak and scrub well, in plain water, then bake in a very low oven overnight, to remove any sprays or bugs, better to ask at somewhere that only grows organically tbh)
    lots of enrichment in the form of time out of the cage very very important, they fly after all,, toys,ropes, chews etc
    AND
    if youre going to keep them caged inside
    THE BIGGEST CAGE YOU CAN AFFORD, TALL AND WIDE

4. Swiftnvee

Thankyou for your advice! Though i should have mentioned I've had my male lovebird and other small parrots for 4 years now, and I'm aware of the feeding and cage size requirements. I let my birds out for most of the day, and several hours before I go to work. My birds have Cuttlebone and grit available all day, fresh fruit and veg once a day. I've just never dealt with a nesting female before haha, I'll remove the nest box tomorrow, though is there a chance she may become depressed from this? Or will she just get over it

5. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

She'll prob mope, but not become depressed per se
    If you can give her plenty.of stimulation shell be ok

6. Swiftnvee

Aahh thats good, thanks! i removed the nest now and just keeping an eye on her. She warmed up to my male pretty fast, already preening and very little squabbling. Fortunately her previous owner provided me with a bunch of her favourite things to shred.

7. Swiftnvee

Attached Files:

mrs phas likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice