Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Look Lick e Lix - flat refusal after one lick - it is not the same

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by maisiecat, Aug 12, 2019.

1. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

As the title says really.

I have been relying on the chicken flavour for years to encourage eating, to hide meds, as a treat, as something to get into a non-eating cat.

It has been really useful in the last few weeks, Big Guy would happily finish 3 of them but not touch anything else. I finally ran out and bought the ones in the new packaging, opened it today and he went to it in anticipation, took one lick and walked off in disgust.

I was afraid they had messed with it when I saw the packaging change. It never smelled good but it smells even worse now, no longer the yeasty weird smell, it reeks, like liver.

Last time I had a very sick cat Whiskas milk was changed and I couldn't find a replacement, now it has happened again and I am stuck with 4 packs of unusable Lick e Lix. I wish companies wouldn't mess with stuff, all about profit of course.

Calvine and lorilu like this.
  2. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I wonder if you can find some of the older stock somewhere! As long as it has a reasonable use by date.

maisiecat likes this.
  3. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Oh dear! I bought one of those last week:(
    I seldom give it to my two so it'll be a while before I find out if its acceptable.

Soozi and maisiecat like this.
  4. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I have been buying the older ones and ignoring the new ones, but they all seem to be the new ones now. Have seen another (more expensive) one on the shelves, so will take a look at it, can't remember which makes it, one of the standard names like Felix/Gourmet etc. I am really going to be stuck now as it was one of the few things he likes and there is only so much Gravy Lovers gravy without the rubber bits and cat soup I can give him before he goes off it.

Soozi likes this.
  5. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

If it is the chicken one and they like liver you should be OK. I have only had one cat that liked liver flavour and it was in very small doses so I won't be buying Webbox products any more, interestingly no cat liked their food either.

The silly thing is that he won't eat chicken cat food but loved the Lick e Lix 'chicken' flavour.

Soozi likes this.
  6. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I recently bought some in the new packaging and so far Bertie hasn't complained ! I do buy both the salmon and chicken and the salmon is still available in the old style packaging.

I noticed in Wilkinsons and Sainsburys the other day that they both have similar products from other manufacturers so maybe one of those might suit your boy's palate better ?

maisiecat likes this.
  7. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Lol! Saffy is not a fishy cat but likes the fishy lik-e-liks! They drive us nuts! :D

maisiecat likes this.
  8. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Someone recommended Lick e Lix so I tried it (well, not personally - Tally tried it!) He is very unfussy and likes novel tastes - he didn't like that though! Must have been the old version at it was a couple of years ago. He likes the other Webbox treaty stuff, but not that one.

Another member suggested pill putty for hiding tablets, I've bought Easypill putty from Amazon, but haven't had to use it yet.

9. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Lol! I sent my Pill putty Easypill (3 x bags of it) to HB Saffy wouldn't touch it! My motto is now only try one of anything cos the chances are if you buy bulk they will eat it once and refuse to touch it again!:Banghead

#9 Soozi, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    ewelsh and maisiecat like this.
  10. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Barney wont eat lick-e-lix but loves Catit Creamy - same idea but he prefers them for some reason

11. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I am going to try the others, the one I was thinking of is Sheba which I think I saw in Morrisons but didn't get it as there was old style Lick e Lix at the time, I hadn't seen any other makes but will make a point of looking now. He has had the salmon but not so keen but loved the chicken until this morning, he was expecting his usual treat and there is a little tongue mark in it where he was about to get stuck in. It really does smell nasty though.

Soozi likes this.
  12. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I bought Greenies pill pockets, major fail. Tried an empty one on my old boy and he loved treats, he hoovered it up and then it got stuck to his teeth and he spent ages trying to get it off. For some reason he refused to try them again, I don't blame him. That is when I started buying Lick e Lix.

Being creatures of habit, once they get something like that in their routine 3 times a day they expect it and when it changes it will put them off anything similar. Whiskas milk was the only thing that kept Maisie going when she was ill, she loved it, and then the dreaded 'improved' label appeared and she wouldn't touch it, nothing else was acceptable. Once a company does that I never buy the 'improved' version again, for any pet, if it is rejected by one. It is a good way of reducing the amount of rubbish they are given too. Sadly when they are ill it is sometimes the only way to get anything into them and a change like this is a disaster.

Soozi likes this.
  13. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

How infuriating - there is another I noticed but it's a fair bit more expensive, as you say.

maisiecat likes this.
  14. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I never needed to look for anything else, Lick e Lix has been relegated to the bottom shelf in our Morrisons and the Sheba one is on the top, probably to encourage sales as it costs more, I saw it when I was looking for something else, cheaper stuff is always lower down out of the eye line so I tend to look there first when I am shopping. Maybe the Sheba one has better stuff in it. I will give it a try, and any others I can find. No more Webbox products for us.

Calvine likes this.
  15. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I buy a Spanish one which appears to have the same ingredients as lik-e- liks. Check ingredients while you are there...take a magnifying glass with you.

maisiecat likes this.
  16. FloozieLoozie

FloozieLoozie PetForums Junior

I noticed the Sheba one in B&M over the weekend for £1 a box. We haven't gone off Weebox yet and hopefully wont as it's our go to for fussy Casper. I dont know why they rebranded the new packaging looks awful and I dont think you can see the flavours as well.

maisiecat likes this.
  17. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I prefer to use the Miamor version off Zooplus as they contain malt to help with hairballs. My lot love them!

maisiecat likes this.
  18. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

The problem with that is it still says the same - meat derivatives or similar, which includes offal and they don't tell you that. I think that as they now have one that is called 'liver' they have just changed the entire range to make it easier. I should have known when I bought the catnip one as a trial and he refused point blank to try it, that was also livery smelling.

Soozi likes this.
  19. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I don't need a Zooplus order, he was never keen on the foods, doesn't really recognise the Zooplus diet as food, and only buying small bags of litter. I am superstitious, the last 2 have died just after I bought a huge order from Zooplus and he isn't in great health, I don't want to do it to him.If they would sell smaller amounts I would buy more, as it is I am fed up with having to buy a huge order of stuff that is never used, have wasted hundreds of £s on Zooplus. I did get the Miamor ones for a while and they were OK but not worth buying a lot of stuff I don't want.;)

20. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Oh, that would have been useful, sadly B&M is too far away and only get there some weekends. Agree, the packaging is bad, probably designed to get people to buy the wrong flavour in the hope they will like it, at least it is distinctive enough to be able to avoid easily. I wonder if they all contain liver, the ones I have tried certainly do and are not acceptable at all, so that was the catnip and the chicken so far and no way am I wasting money on the others.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice