Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Lab puppy. Question on Insurance

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nfmc123, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Nfmc123

Nfmc123 PetForums Newbie

So...I had dogs as a kid and a young adult. Now married with kids of my own so have at last decided that it's the right time to get a dog. Working patterns with my wife and the kids are of a good age (14 and 11) that should make it a great environment.

So...deposit paid on a chocolate lab and we'll collect her at eight weeks on Easter weekend.

I've been trying to get insurance quotes but all the websites won't insure puppies younger than eight weeks. The breeders will provide four weeks insurance so I guess I'll have those four weeks to sort.

My plan was to register her before I got her at the local vets. They have a good reputation. I was going to ask them to recommend an insurer but guess I'm concerned that I will get who pays them commission not who would be best (and cheapest).

Also...when I last had dogs there was no such thing as crate training. I instinctively thought that it was cruel but the more I read about it the more I think we'll use it.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Puppy!!!!
    With insurance you can sort it in that 4 week period so don't worry too much about that yet. A lot of vets will recommend PetPlan and a lot of dog owners stand by it as they pay out straight away to the vet means making claims a lot easier if you need to.
    I myself and a lot of people on here use pet plan for the reason stated above and the fact that there premium do not seem to rise exponentially after making a claim, unlike a lot of companies out there.
    If you can get the puppy in to the vets on the day you get her then you can start all the puppy jabs etc ASAP meaning you can get her out and about sooner :)

I used crate training for my puppy and found it quite easy and then moving her 'clean' area out from there was a case of being patient.

3. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

Cant help much on insurance but wanted to say congrats and what a beautiful puppy :)

4. Catharinem

Catharinem PetForums VIP

Petplan every time. Pay out, on time, no quibbles. More expensive than some, but pay out when you need them. Freinds have used others which happily take their premiums, but don't pay out when needed.

Also, vets usually happy to claim direct, so you just pay the excess and forget about the rest. Other companies you pay on credit card and hope to get back some day.

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Companies will not insure puppies under 8 weeks of age because that's usually the age recommended to leave their mothers. No sooner, although depending on the breed some will allow puppies to leave at 7 weeks and some of the toy breeds will actually leave their mothers later as they can be slower to mature.

Pet Plan is usually recommended by vets, and as others for the reasons specified. No commission from the vets.

What insurance you choose is up to you, but listen wisely to those who recommend Pet Plan. They make valid points. Usually with cheaper insurances if you do have to claim, then your premiums will increase a ridiculous amount many here have discovered that.

Make sure you get a 'covered for life' policy and not a 'time limited' one. Vital for all dogs, but especially puppies who if they do end up with a life long condition it will always be covered, and not just for a year or till the amount of money limit is reached.

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You could give pet plan a call and explain she will be 8 weeks when you bring her home, and they will give you a quote, I spoke to them about a quote a few weeks back for one of mine.

Do you know if the free insurance from your breeder is petplan it often is, or sometimes the other one you sometimes get tends to be The Kennel Club Insurance.
    Normally when you take out any new full insurance plan, you are not covered for the first 14 days of the policy for any illness, although usually petplan will cover from day one for accident. What also happens normally too is that anything the dog has had previously or any previous symptoms they may have experienced are usually exempt from the new policy as is anything that happens in those first 14 days illness wise so you wont be able to claim. Normally insurance companies tend to group illnesses into types so an upset tum that needed a vet visit often then becomes disorders of the digestive tract. Bearing all this in mind its often much safer to insure the dog from day one of bringing them home, he will be 8 weeks presumeably then so you should be able to initiate cover from that date, but obviously wont be covered for illness for 14 days. If you wait until the free insurance runs out, then you are going to have 14 days without any cover for illness, and the longer you leave it to put in place full cover the chances he may get something will obviously increase.

If the 4 weeks free insurance from the breeder is pet plan, I'm not sure if you do take out a full policy with them how it works, ie if you were unfortunate enough to need to claim on the 4 weeks free insurance, and take out a full pet plan insurance, to start when that expires would anything claimed for in the free insurance period become an exemption on the full policy? Also even if it isn't exempt would you still have the full amount of benefit cover on the full policy for that type of illness. You definitely wouldn't if you choose an entirely new company to the one that supplies the free insurance, but I'm not 100% sure how it works if you take it out with the same company.
    I would also check if the full insurance runs on consectively does the 14 days you cant claim still apply or not.

I would suggest that whoever you end up going with if possible take out a covered for life or lifetime plan. With this type of policy, you can go on claiming as long as you stay with company year after year for similar types of illness, re-occurring illnesses or types, conditions that need ongoing tests and/or medication, and later complications that may arise from something like an accident, the yearly insured for amount gets re-instated in full too each year you renew. Limited cover policies are normally cheaper, but they only cover you for an illness or accident for 12 months from the diagnoses or incident or the total yearly insured for amount whatever is reached first, meaning after that you cant claim anymore for that illness or type.

In my experience of several companies pet plan has seemed to be the most consistent both in paying claims and not hiking up premiums by huge amounts on renewal.
    Check with you chosen vets, but most vets also tend to accept direct claims payments from pet plan too, where they wont always from some others. Some vets wont do direct claims full stop so its always wise to check if they will and if so who from.

7. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I would only insure with Pet Plan or Co-op (Co-op have the same underwriter and offer slightly less cover for a cheaper price and allow you to choose to add extras which you can't with Pet Plan as they are built into the policy) I had my policies start from collection day as I didn't ever bother with the free insurance* and you'll have to wait for 4 weeks for the illness cover to kick in and 2 weeks for accident cover, so I always think it's best to just get your own policy from day one. Cats are with Petplan, Dogs are with Co-op and I have made claims on one dog and they have paid out quickly and easily.

*I had a bit of a hooha with Pet Plan when I adopted my kittens from Cats Protection years ago and put a claim in on the 4 week free insurance and then discovered that there was some issue with continuing the policy, having exclusions and stuff and I can't recall all the details now but I know it got sorted in the end and I did manage to continue with the policy and just had to pay two excesses thank goodness as they were very sick kittens and I had some sizeable claims paid out on.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I certainly would not take the pup for its first vaccination on the day you get it. Poor pup, leaves its mother and siblings, gets taken to a scary vet, get a needle stuck in it, quite possibly get a sore neck and not feel very well for 24 hours. What a lovely introduction to its new home.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  9. AlexPed2393

Fair enough, we did this with Bonnie and it went well. Meant it was all out the way done and dusted, lots of treats so had a good time at the vets but hey ho :Bag

10. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I did too with both of mine and my previous dog, my vet recommended it so as they could give the pup a health check so if any major issue came to light it could be flagged up asap, so I'll join Alex under the bag :Bag

11. AlexPed2393

Just to note we got Bonnie at 11 weeks so we were already behind with the jabs etc so that's another reason I wanted to get her in ASAP, also as said by @MontyMaude it meant a health check could be done and guess what Bonnie had major worms so that meant she wasn't allowed to see the cats until that cleared up.

If I hadn't taken her to the vets we would have let them see each other on the day

MontyMaude likes this.
  12. Nfmc123

Nfmc123 PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.

As we're getting her on Good Friday the Vets are closed for regular appointments so her first jab is scheduled for the Tuesday after.

And I've also had a series of quotes and I have to say I'm a bit shocked by the amount they're expecting, even with quite a high excess. Think I might be self-insuring!

AlexPed2393 likes this.
  13. leisurely

leisurely PetForums Junior

we got our pup a week and a half ago. he had his second vaccination yesterday so only another week till he can go out with his feet on the ground.
    He was insured by the breeded with the kennel club for a free four week period.
    I wasn't sure about this so asked the vet nurse when he went in for a check up prior to puppy classes. She wasn't able to recommend an insurer but steered me toward petplan by telling me about her dogs.
    I've since spoken to some colleagues. Withough exception they use petplan. All except the woman who has just paid out over £900 for her dog to be diagnosed with cancer and PTS. Uninsured.
    Agree you should go for the life long plan.
    Just had a thought, he will also need a chip too

14. AlexPed2393

How much are they asking per month if you don't mind me asking?

15. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Just be aware of self insurance. Putting away the cost of premiums may not be enough...

Simple problems that arise, can cost a few hundred pounds. Which may be peanuts to you, but I am also speaking to those who maybe reading this and thinking OK I will skip insurance.

My two dogs that lived in to their late teens were both insured till 10+ years till I decided it was not viable with the price of premiums and any problems that arose would be pallative care or I would pay for basic investigations. Not once did I claim and both only went to the vets for routine appointments ie vaccinations and were spayed/neutered. Do I think paying out for insurance for 10+ years was a waste of monet? Absolutely not...it gave me peace of mind which is priceless.

16. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

Petplan everytime. They never quibble and my vet is happy to deal with them directly. They were brilliant last year when my Persian cat had a bout of vomiting. Ultrasound scan, drip and 2 days stay in the vet later we got a lovely £1000 bill which cost me just the excess of £70. Worth it's weight in gold to me and i won't hesitate to use them when we collect our pup on Maundy Thursday

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice