Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Kitty Behaviour

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Babygirl, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Babygirl

Babygirl PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone

Just recently introduced our new kitty Gracey in the introductions bit, thanks for all your comments!!!!

Just wondered if anyone could offer some advice, as we're experiencing a few difficulties with her behaviour.

When we're not in the house.. Or we're away from her... She hides behind the sofa or the washing machine and it takes ages to get her out!! Often it's food that does the trick. And when you go to pick her up... she'll run away and put her ears flat, like she's feeling threatened. She even scratched my boyfriend this evening, and all he did was approach her to give her some affection. We've been nothing but nice and non-threatening towards her, so I'm a little confused. It's as if she's experienced something before she came here that scared her? Sometimes she'll even roll over onto her back and curl her paws up like she's being submissive.

The thing is.. Once you DO pick her up... She's really very affectionate and seems very comfortable. Licking our hands, laying in our laps and purring. And she'll often follow us, calling for us when we go into another room. It's like she's two different cats!!

So any suggestions for what we can do to stop her running away from us when we approach her? Or how make her feel more comfortable? I always make sure I'm not 'towering over her' and I move really slowly.

She's only been here two days, so I am aware she's probably still very nervous, she is also only 11 weeks old, so is it her age thats making her so scared? I feel a bit sad that she's scratched my boyfriend, as I really want them to get on.

Any comments appreciated

2. Angelicats

Angelicats PetForums Junior

Hi,
    Don`t worry sounds like normal behaviour for a kitten in a new home. Justs takes time and a little under standing, carry on being softly spoken and gentle and soon you will see a change, when the kitten knows she can trust you .

3. Babygirl

Babygirl PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your comment. Yeah she seems much more relaxed this evening now... Think it will take her a while to get used to people picking her up... And to get used to where she is. Hopefully she'll learn in time that we're nice friendly people! hehe

4. Angelicats

Angelicats PetForums Junior

Hi,
    Keep up the good work you will get there in time, it`s surprising what a bit of patience and time can do.( I should know i have had and worked with animals all my life.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice