Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Ceefur, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Ceefur

Ceefur PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I used this forum about 2 years ago when my beloved cat Ceefur had to have a front limb amputation. He lasted a happy year then sadly the cancer had spread and he had to be pts.

I now feel ready to adopt two kittens and have found some that are an 'accident' from a pedigree Maine Coon mum who escaped whilst in season.
    They are 5 weeks old today and I can pick them up in about 4 weeks. (One ginger and one silver tabby)

I'm so excited :D but as it is a long time since I had kittens I wondered if anyone has any key tips.

I have borrowed a large dog crate to bed them down in whilst we are at work/in bed as this will make them feel secure and stop me fretting.

Thanks

Kath

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Hi and welcome back :) Look forward to seeing pictures of your new kitties when they arrive.
    have you got all the essentials yet? Litter trays, cat scratching post, food bowls, beds, toys? I'm sure there must be lots of other things :D

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Oooooooooooooo congratulations :D your in for some fun :lol:

I would'nt crate them unless you have other pets they need to get used to, maybe confine them to one room when you are out :)

Good luck with kitten proofing your house they get into everything :rolleyes: :lol:

4. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Think you've already had good advice there but pleaseee make sure they're careful when they're around wires :eek: One of my girls had a really bad accident and I'm terrified of wires now :eek:

On a much brighter note - congratulations :D and I'm glad your boy had another happy year

Em
    xx

5. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Congratulations on your furbabies!
    I love buying accessories for my furbaby Sooty, even if he is 15, like new toys and stuff. Luckily we will be bringing home a furbaby in about 2 months time, so am looking forward to buying him all his little bits and pieces!

I would agree with Banjo, you don't need to keep them in a crate, it's probably easier to just confine them to one room. Then thye have the freedom of exploring the room too :)

6. Ceefur

Ceefur PetForums Newbie

Dear All,

Thanks for your replies. The reason I thought about a dog crate is because I'm so anxious that they will get themselves into trouble with electrical wiring etc. I'm not sure which room I could put them in where I won't be paranoid about them getting into some kind of fix whilst on their own.

I will go home and have a good look round and see if any of the rooms are safe enough. (I am a bit of a worrier).

I kept most of Ceef's bits and bobs and I have already ordered some toys - I can see these kittens will be spoilt!! :D

Kath

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Congratulations on your new furbabies.I'm a born worrier too but I have to agree a crate will be far too small for your kittens.If you block off any danger area's could you perhaps confine them to a bedroom to start with when you are out and unable to supervise.As long as you dont leave any electrical equipment plugged in and make sure simple things like blind cords are cut so that they cant get tangled I think they will be fine.This is only for a short term,they will soon settle and be ok just maybe keep plugs out for a while .

8. sami87

sami87 PetForums Member

Congratulations on your new fluff babies!!!! :D

I am so with you on the worrying!!! With the wires, I got a plastic tubing that you can clip around the wires and keeps them away from curious little mouths!!!! I can't remember what the 'proper' name is but I got it at a DIY shop, and it's been an absolute god send!!!

Things like curtains you should probably write off, so maybe put up some spare ones that you don't mind getting wrecked by claws.

P@H have some great toys out at the moment! :)

Good luck! Can't wait to see pictures already!!!! :eek:

9. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

IS the mum registered? If she isnt remember that she may just be a long haired moggie, so dont pay over the odds, also see if they can keep them until 12weeks, as 9 weeks for a slow maturing baby is to young :)

pics???

10. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Im not sure if the Dad is a MC if she escaped, might just be a MC cross anyway :)

11. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

thats what I mean, if mum is a registered MC that esacped like this said its a cross, if she isnt registered, take it with a pinch of salt that she is a Mc ;)

Currenlty someone is selling tabby cats for £200 as full pedigree ragdolls...people will say anything! :blink:

12. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

I am currently working on a breed called 'miniature sabre tooth tigers.' Looking for some ginger tabbys to bet my breed line started :D lol

13. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

oi!! Im already doing miniture lions! Im getting a good 2k per kitten! :nono: :D

[​IMG]

14. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

erm why have i not been told about these miniture lions TB??? i want one :p

15. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

lions/tigers/dogcats I do the lot! :laugh:

16. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

yes well im sure thelma is pantha cross lion :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice