Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kittens eating problem.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Phaedra, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Phaedra

Phaedra PetForums Newbie

I have two 9 week old kittens one boy one girl and they have been with me now for 4 days.
    When i got them they were quite boney and had bald patches and thinning hair at the temples.
    I fed them wet kitten pouches at first for a few days and then 2 days ago i added a little bit of raw chicken with their food which they loved. They have grown so much since i got them, they are fatter and both have more fur and the bald patch has dissapeared from the boy and is better on the girl.
    I am worried i have made them ill because now she is not eating and the boy isnt eating as much. They both have a little bit of diarrhea. She is drinking a bit of water. I have tried offering just chicken, just the cat food, a different brand, mixed together but nothing works for her. She will eat a cat biscuit but it is for 6months an over.
    She is hungry, she is looking for food but whenever she smells the food she scratches the floor like she would in the litter tray, like it must really stink for her and that she some how associates the food with the litter tray.
    She seems happy and is still running and jumping around like a monkey but she has barely eaten for a day and a half now.
    What should i do? Thanks

2. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

I find that my cats can't refuse a little bit of tuna... You could perhaps try that? If she likes it try to mix it in with more of her food. If it goes on for much longer it sounds like it could be a more serious problem and you should consider taking her to a vet

3. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

I agree take little one to the vet's or at least ring for advice. good luck keep us informed.

4. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I think you've tried introducng too many different foods which has prob caused the upset tummies. Kittens can go downhill very quickly so if she hasnt started eating by tomorrow I would definitely get her to the vet. For now I'd stick to the food they were first eating (hopefully the same as they were eating in their previous home) and not introduce anything new until their tummies have settled down.

5. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

I have just posted about this in another post.

Cats in the wild bury their food to return to later and this is why cats scratch at their bowls like they do in their litter trays. Have you tried moving her bowl away from his. It could be that she doesn't like eating near him and wants some privacy and is trying to cover it to eat later. I know it sounds bizarre but I have read up on this and sometimes it works better to feed seperately. Also, is the litter tray near their food. I had a problem with my cats from years ago, one of them wouldn't eat and somebody told me to move it away from their litter and it worked. Just a thought?

Like the other posts said, introducing too much variety at a young age can upset their stomachs. I was always told by vets to keep to the same type of food for the first 3 months and introduce different food gradually by mixing it and weaning them off one type of food that way. If a cat doesn't eat for even a day or two their internal organs can be damaged do definately get this checked out by a vet if she hasn't eaten for a couple of days. Stress is one of the the main causes of loss of appetite but so are infections etc so best to get her checked.

Sharon
    x

6. Phaedra

Phaedra PetForums Newbie

Phew she is eating. She kept watching her brother eat and finally decided to give it a go and slowly she is eating more and more. Im new to keeping kittens and thought I would try and give them the best diet possible but ended up making them sick instead :(
    Thank you everyone for replying.

7. MadeleineI

MadeleineI PetForums Newbie

Raw chicken (wings and necks) are one of the best cat foods there is. It's very close to the birds they would catch in the wild. I doubt you did make your kitten sick. It may have been because butchers often wash chicken in chlorine and cats hate this, so won't touch it. I strongly suggest you keep to the raw meat and bones. Your kitten knew best as she loved it. Bones are the best way for cats to get their all essential calcium and keep the gums healthy and teeth clean. Teeth and mouth problems in older cats are largely due to never having had bones to crunch up on.
    Best Cat Health

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice