Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Kitten's Diet

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Connor Graham, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Connor Graham

Connor Graham PetForums Newbie

Hi guys!

New to this. My partner and I got a 9-week old cat (first ever pet) a few days ago. Took her to the vet yesterday to have her vaccinations and was told she was under-weight. 0.7kg, versus the 1kg that the vet expected her to be.

How fast will she grow if we keep food down for her? Bought her some Whiska's kitten food, both soft and hard, and cats milk.

Thanks.

2. Amanda Sturdy

Amanda Sturdy PetForums Member

lorilu likes this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Feed your kitten good quality (high meat content, no cereals or sugar) canned foods. As the other member said, feed her as much as she will eat at each serving, at only 9 weeks (much too young to have left her mother by the way) feed her at least 6 meals a day, you will have to get a timed feeder or get up in the night to feed her.

I hope she didn't get more than one vaccination, kittens should not have them all at once. They should always be spread out.

chillminx likes this.
  4. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

It’s possible she may not actually even be 9 weeks. Plenty of unscrupulous people get rid of kittens early (when they become expensive)! We fell foul of this and our “9.5 week” old boy was more like 6 weeks and weighed only 620g. He was severely underweight (and poorly).

So give her as much food as she can eat :D small meals, often. If she asks for food, she’s hungry. If she licks a bowl clean, give her a little more until she leaves a bit. It’s really hard to make kittens fat if they are eating good food :)

She will probably enjoy the cat milk a lot as at her age she would have still been getting milk from mum, so that will help her get bigger too.

And it’s really important at such a young age to try and keep her company as much as possible. You are mum now! So where possible don’t leave her for more than 4 hours a day and make sure she can see you at night (eg don’t shut her out the bedroom), stuff like that. It can be a bit hard going for a few weeks as she may want attention but it can be quite scary to be left completely alone at that age. Our Joey would sleep on the bed with us until he got more confident, then he moved to the landing where he could always see me when he woke up :)

MELZY, lorilu and chillminx like this.
  5. Connor Graham

Connor Graham PetForums Newbie

She just had one vaccine and a [half of] dewormer tablet which I gave her at home with her food.

Is it normal for her to be sleeping all the time after the vaccine/dewormer? The past two days she has been sleeping A LOT and playing less. Still meow-ing etc but sleeping like an old cat would I imagine.

6. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Some cats sleep a lot after their vaccination, because it stimulates the body’s immune system. It can make them very sleepy. She should still be eating and drinking though, and it should not last more than a couple of days.

chillminx likes this.
  7. MELZY

MELZY PetForums Newbie

My kitten got his jag yesterday and slept for nearly 5 hour solid but back to ninja mode today ☺

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice