Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mistyabale, Jul 14, 2009.

1. mistyabale

mistyabale PetForums Newbie

I brought a kitten today.
    its 9 weeks old.

however since i got it home it went under the table and wont come out. everytime we get her she runs back under. i know its probably scary for her but shes not eaten, drank or wee'd since getting here.

any ideas?:idea:

2. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Aw poor little thing must be scared - first time away from Mum and in a strange environment.

Although i've no experience with kittens, i'd suggest leaving her be for the present & let her come out on her own accord. Leave the food down & she'll eat when she's hungry - same with the other end. Do you have any other cats?

3. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

I know its hard but she will come out when she is ready...might take a day or 2 but she will get there...dont worry...its a scary world without your mummy and siblings...

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Might be worth placing her in the smallest room with her bed, food and litter tray, and leaving her to settle.

It will be very daunting and scary being in a new house, so you need to minimise the stress as much as possible.

Give her a few days and she will soon be scaling your curtains and using your furniture to sharpen her nails.

5. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

Its normal for a kitten brought into new surroundings to behave as you describe as everything is new and strange to her and she will continue to behave like this for another day or two.

It might be an idea to confine her to just one quiet room in the house with her bed, food, water and litter tray for the time being till she gains her confidence.

6. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

oh bless her, cats are really not good with change, i found that out when i got a rescue cat and then again when we moved a few years after. The advice the peeps have given you is spot on, im sure in a few days she will be alot more confident, she will come around in her own time.

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

8. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Ditto, I usually leave them to the bedroom until they are more settled.

9. Scratcher26

Scratcher26 PetForums Newbie

defo keep in a smaller room for a few days with litter tray and food. just wait for him/her to come to you, once he/she feels safe they'll be no stopping it exploring and playing with everything - including you! :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice