Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kitten!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by sally-ann87, May 6, 2010.

1. sally-ann87

sally-ann87 PetForums Junior

My neighbour has rescued 4 kittens that were left in her hedge by a stray cat. They're only 4-5 weeks old but the vet says they are in great health, no worms or fleas etc. So my neighbour had kept one (a girl - Honey), my other neighbour has 2 (a boy and a girl, Tom and Abi) and we have the last one (a girl - Tilly) I'm feeding mine on mashed up Felix Kitten food mixed with kitten milk which seems to be going down well.

Any other ideas that i can pass onto the other adoptive parents?

I already have 2 cats Summer and Alfie but i didnt get them til they were about 9 weeks so they were already weaned and litter trained.

Will post pics later when she wakes up - shes managed to wiggle herself backwards into my nightie that was lying on the bed and has fell asleep :confused1:

Sarah x

2. Tje

Tje Banned

I would recommend a better quality cat food... but there's ton of info on food in the nutrition section of the forum.

One golden tip with kittens this young.... use a kitchen scale to weigh them every day. Their weight is like an "early warning sign" to their general health.

These kittesn are very young to be seprated from their mum, so they could very well develope problems with eating.

A kitten should be gaining a minimum of about 100grams a week (but 3 times that is great too)... anything under that can be worrisome to downright lifethreatening.

Pick a set time every day to weigh them, and keep a note of what they weigh each day. One day with no weight gain or a slight loss is not too dramatic, but you;re looking for each kitten to be gaining a minimum of 15 grams per day, and preferbaly more in the region of 25 grams per day. If that's nto happening then early intervention with force feeding is far preferable to leaving it a day or two, young kittens of this age go downhill quickly.

best of luck, and any specific questions, just ask !

3. Tje

Tje Banned

one other thing... whatever the vet has said about them not having worms... they will need a worm cure... all kittens do. the one I use is two weekly in the beginning (4wks old 6wks old and 8 wks old) then once every 4 weeks until they are 6 months old, then twice a year after that. But the frequency varies depending on which product you use. I would recommend a worm (paste) from the vet as opossed to one of the over-the-counter products found in pet shops.

Paste is easier than pills to use in kittens, for getting it inside them and for giving the proper dose for their weights.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice