Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Kitten won't eat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Darkerge, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Darkerge

Darkerge PetForums Newbie

Hey Guys,
    So I got a 3 month old kitten yesterday, I opened up its cage and let it roam. Since he came, he hasn't eaten or drank one bit, and im getting worried; he went to the litter box three times. Also, I dont know what to do with him at night, he keeps jumping up to my bed and I dont want to stomp him lol. Any advice is appreciated :).
    Thanks!

Update: He finally ate! Little dude was hungry he ate the whole plate lol.
    Another Update: He is back to his sleepyand no eating routine, we tried getting him some cat tuna to eat, he ate a bit and stopped. Any advice?

#1 Darkerge, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  2. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

Lol! Got here too late, I was going to say give him time to adjust being away from what he previously knew as home. It’s not uncommon for newly adopted cats and kittens to turn away from food for a while until they adjust.
    Enjoy your new baby! As for night time, you could make him a little bed on top of your bed with fleecy throws, or buy him a cosy fleecy bed and keep it on your floor.
    Do you have any pictures?

3. Darkerge

He has a bed on the floor that he sleeps on during the day, but he keeps jumping up to mine at night. I have to put him in the crate :/, its also making it hard for me to sleep as he jump scares me when he jumps up to the bed lol. As for the picture, its attached :).

Attached Files:

4. Callidora

Oh he’s beautiful!
    My youngest is only 8 months old but seeing tiny kitten pictures makes me all broody for another, lol!

5. Darkerge

Yea lol, tiny kittens are some of the cutest i've seen.

6. Darkerge

He is back to not eating and sleeping all day and even when he is awake, he doesn't play or do anything, just sits there. Something is wrong with him and its getting me worried, I took him to the vet yesterday, he said nothing is wrong. Any advice?

7. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Darkerge
    He looks pretty small, are you sure he is three months - did the vet estimate him at 12 weeks? Do you have his vaccination record?
    Kittens should eat a lot, several times per day. Not being curious about his surroundings is odd as well.
    Sometimes people put a kitten in one room with food, water, a bed and toys to let them slowly get used to their new home.
    But if he is lethargic I would be worried.
    Sleeping a lot is normal but eating and playing are also normal for a healthy kitten.
    He should sleep interspersed with play.
    It is possible he came from a breeder who did not socialize their kittens and is a bit shell shocked. He may have also been still nursing from his mother and is not used to solid food.
    What type of food did you offer him? You say he ate on Monday, what did he eat then?
    I would take him to another vet if he has not eaten anything today.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Callidora

I agree I would see another vet. Either go to a whole different surgery or request a different vet at your current practice. When was the last time he had a bowel movement? The slightest thing can stop a kitten from eating. Also, what does he weigh? The vet should have told you at your appointment, and that’s a fairly good indicator for their age when they’re under 6 months

9. Darkerge

He does look small but he is normal size and weight, he was a very curious cat in the first 2 days.. He hasnt eaten in 4 days, and anything that he is forced to eat is vomited out. We took him to another vet yesterday and he gave him some fluids as he was dehydrated, he ate a bit at the vet and vomited it all once we got in the car. We took him back and he gave us some pills for him and gave him an injection. I gave him a pill today and he vomited it out again. His vomiting has increased today too, I have no idea what to do. We tried 4 types of food, 2 dry food brands (including the one he is used to) and 2 tuna cat food types.

#9 Darkerge, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  10. Darkerge

We went to another one, he gave him some fluids as he was dehydrated and he gave him an injection, and the pills he gave us to give to the cat are being vomited out. The vet says he has a cold, and his weight is normal for his age (1.14 kg iirc), he goes to the bathroom normally.

11. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

So stress is a big reason for not eating too. Please please find a way to let him share your bed. It will bring his stress levels down and develop a bond with you. He is still anxious of his new environment. Is he happy to approach you and sniff your hand? If so try hand feeding?

12. Callidora

If he’s not keeping anything down and he’s not drinking, he needs to go back to the vet. A kitten not eating or drinking for more than a few hours is an emergency. They probably need to keep him in and keep him on fluids

Douglas’ Dad likes this.
  13. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

What do you mean by “put him in the crate”? Are you shutting him in a crate every night? Cats/kittens should only be crated in extremely exceptional circumstances and not due to unwanted behaviour.

I agree with @Callidora, kittens can go downhill very fast from dehydration so if he is still vomiting or not eating/drinking then he needs to go back to the vet.

Douglas’ Dad likes this.
  14. Darkerge

Hey Guys,
    So he is really sick, the vet said he has to stay with them for the day and they have him connected to a fluid drip. They told us to come later on at night to tell us about his situation. His vomiting increased so much yesterday even though we took him to the vet twice in the same day. He barely moves, does not play, and he sleeps all day.
    As for the crating thing, it was only for one night; I still hadn't gotten used to him and it was a mistake from my part.

Yes he either slept on my bed or his bed during the other nights, crating was just for one night. He is happy when I pet him and groom him but he wouldnt let me hand feed him even if he was forced to eat.

Yes they have him on fluids since today morning, we will be going back to him at night to be informed of his situation.

15. Douglas’ Dad

Please don’t give yourself a hard time. You must be so stressed and anxious yourself. I really hope he gets better. Sending out lots of positive vibes.

Darkerge likes this.
  16. Darkerge

Thank you <3, hoping for the best :/.

17. pennycat

pennycat PetForums Senior

How is he doing?

18. Callidora

Oh @Darkerge I’m so sorry, to you and your baby! Keeping everything crossed he’s ok. Like @Douglas’ Dad says, please don’t give yourself a hard time, you’ve been doing all you can for him, you’ve been back and forth to the vets and you’ve reached out for advice. We’re powerless when they get poorly, they can’t tell us what’s wrong and we just have to put our faith in the vets. Keep us updated on how he’s doing please, sending love and positive thoughts x

19. Douglas’ Dad

This. How our lives would change if they could tell us what was wrong.

Callidora likes this.
  20. Darkerge

Hey Guys,
    Sadly, Snow is not well, he has Feline panleukopenia virus, it’s a fatal virus, we are doing our best but it seems like his immune system isn't strong enough for it. We are hoping for the best.
    Thank you, these words mean a lot <3. If only they can tell us what they feel.

#20 Darkerge, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice