Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new kitten who doesnt like to be clapped

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by DawnMcT, Jul 21, 2009.

1. DawnMcT

DawnMcT PetForums Newbie

Hi there I hope someone can help. I just have a new kitten she's 10 weeks old and I've had her for 2 weeks. She is slowly coming round to me as I have spent the most timewith her but she runs away anythime I go to touch her and starts hissing. I'm not sure if it's just cause she's just getting used to us as she sits on the same chair with me and looks like she wants to sit on my lap but as if she's testing the water. I've had cats before but none showing behaviour like hers.
    Any advice would be welcome.

2. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

it sounds like she didnt get a lot of attention at her previous home and wasnt handled. I have had this experience with kittens before but if you persevere maybe try and get her to take a treat or a bit of meat from your hand then work up to her sniffing your fingers and basically progress from there

3. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Our Lola was much like you discribe your kitten to be when we first got her a few months back.

We started off by gently stroking her while she was eating her meals and then progressed to catching her and stroking her when ever we had the opportunity. At first we would pick her up and she would struggle while we gave her a couple of strokes before putting her down. The time she didn't struggle increased as we continiued to handle her.

She is now a complete lap cat and is always the first on an available lap. She even seeks us out for affection now.

4. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

doesnt like to be clapped????????????:confused::confused:

5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

clapped is stroked/petted

6. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Never heard of clapped before either, I suppose you learn something new everyday.

I would just say take things slowly with her and she will begin to build up a trust in you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice