Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kitten - which cat litter?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by BAM, Apr 15, 2011.

1. BAM

BAM PetForums Junior

Hello everyone... advice needed, please.

I'm going to be getting my new baby girl at 13 weeks (I'm due for slavery duties to start on 14th May) and I'm all set with regard to bedding, litter tray, food and water bowls, food, etc. BUT I'm so unsure about which cat litter to use. Will obviously start with one she currently uses but don't know what that is yet, but I'm thinking more long-term.

Any suggestions? Maximum odour control, please!

Ta
    xx

2. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I love Sophisticat wood pellets, they absorb loads so you use very little and they are good for odour control :)
    So much better than the clumping one! Got 30l for just over a tenner from VETUK.

The most important thing for keeping odour to a minimum though is cleaning. We take out the worst every day then have a huge toilet clean out weekly, including disinfectant :)

3. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Another plus with it is that it isn't at all dusty compared to the clumping cat litters, so the cat doesn't have to inhale anything nasty if they are a "digger", like Soots! He scrapes around so voilently, if we don't have a lid on half the litter ends up outside the box!

4. samhx

samhx PetForums Member

We just got Okoplus for our kittens and I find it great for odour control. Although the tracking is quite bad!

5. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Id get what ever they are on now and the change in after about a month if your not happy with it :)

6. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Hi congrats on your new kitty..i use catsan hygenic...not the cheapest ..but because i have an open plan downstairs..odour control was really important to me ...its fab :)

i do clean out wees and poos all of the time as soon as i see them..and change whole litter once a week and disinfect tray

lots of piccies pls when you get your new addition xx :D

7. kunzy

kunzy Guest

Try Okoplus.

8. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

I have tried a few clumping litters and am now set on worlds best (normal not the extra strong)

I think it's own smell is nice and masks the worst that my two indoors can throw at it :D

Plus it doesnt clog up my loo which the others did :mad:

9. BAM

BAM PetForums Junior

Thank you all so much for the advice! Has set me on the right path...

10. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Good luck :) It is trial and error until you find the one that suits your kitty and yourself. Kitty will tell you if she likes it or not, she will just poop on the floor outside the box if she doesn't :D

11. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I have started using 'Pura' scented litter from Zooplus - tis a super fine clumping litter but little to no dust and current batch a very pleasant Apple scent - getting Lavender next to try.

Lasts ages even with my 4 cats and smells nice :) does track a bit though

12. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I find sand doesn't necessarily track with Sooty, it's the fact he scrapes around in there for king and country, so half of it ends up outside! The wood pellets not so much :D

13. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

ah I use covered trays - doesn't track with the shorthaireds but Gypsy takes some in her tail

14. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise PetForums Member

I use clumping litter recommened by the RSPCA. Have no probs with it at all even the cats like to eat it when im topping it up lol xx

15. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

We've always used Oko Plus here and I wouldn't change it. Clumping, flushable, bio-degradable, great odour control, economical, practical. If I had to change it, I would look always for clumping and flushable.

Another pieces of advice, if you allow me:
    • I wouldn't get tray liners (just in case you're thinking about it). It's much better to have the bare surface of the tray disinfected than changing torn and dirty liners.
    • Instead of getting scented stuff to mask the odours, cleaning the tray more often is more economical and simple for you; healthier and more pleasant for your kitty.
    • Better food quality results in less smelly poos.

16. BAM

BAM PetForums Junior

Wow - you've all been so incredibly helpful! I had wondered about the litter tray liners so that's incredibly useful to know. And definitely agree about good quality food.

Thank you all once more
    xxx

17. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy PetForums Senior

On the breeders recommendation I went with generic Chick Crumb. This is basically baby chicken feed made of ground corn with some added bits. It's practically the same as the expensive clumping litters and is only £7.50 odd a 20kg bag - if you have an animal feed supplier near you, that is. Flushes away well when emptied out daily and totally changed and disinfected every week.

Got one of these too and it really helps get the litter (and other things) off little paws: Soft Touch Track Mat: Bargain Prices at zooplus

18. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i didnt even know you could get fragrances like apple or lavender :eek:,:eek: i will have to have a better look round i think.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice