Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kitten vaccine help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Maria T, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Maria T

Maria T PetForums Newbie

Hi this is our first cat pet and we are about to bring her home on Saturday (8 weeks old exactly on Saturday) .
    We were thinking to go to the vet on our way home for a health check and the first vaccine shot.

We are not sure if this will stress the kitty even further or not.
    How long do they take to accommodate to the new house?
    Will we need to wait until settled and to the vaccine later?

Thank you,
    Maria

2. Pixie_Tinker_Bell

Pixie_Tinker_Bell PetForums Senior

Hi Maria, 8 weeks is very young to be leaving her mum - if at all possible it would be recommended to leave her there for a bit longer. In terms of going to the vet for vaccination on the way home, I have done that with both my kittens and it's worked well. In particular my first kitten had an umbilical hernia which required treatment quickly so it was just as well I took her when I did. My second kitten has just come home today but I'm glad vaccine is over with so we can focus on settling in and not worry about vet visits.

3. Maria T

Maria T PetForums Newbie

Thank you for advice,
    I have spoken with the pet owner to keep her longer (which is fine) however it seems that mum cat doesn't not pay attentions to kittens anymore and I will be responsible for vaccine so weighing in the pros/cons. I'd rather get the vaccine a health check done sooner rather than later although 8 weeks is minimum they should spend with the mum (I have read about it on the forum)

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Staying with mum and siblings for another 3/4 weeks will give all kittens a better start to life as they will learn the social skills they need to become happy healthy and confident.
    You will probably find at 8 weeks your kitten is too young for its first vaccination , I'm fairly certain the first is given at 9 weeks at least it was the last time I had to have a kitten vaccinated

Calvine and chillminx like this.
  5. Pixie_Tinker_Bell

Pixie_Tinker_Bell PetForums Senior

I think even if her mum isn't paying her attention she'll still be learning lots of social skills by playing with her siblings. Is there anyway you could take her for her health check and vaccine and return her to mum for another couple of weeks? That is what my friend did with her kitten. I know it's really difficult to hold off longer when you're so excited to bring her home. My first kitten was about 9 weeks when I brought her home but her mum and most her siblings had already gone the week or two before that and I'm never sure if her behaviour is related to that or if she just has an unruly personality!

6. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Member

We got Ash at 8 weeks (I had no idea at the time this was early since CP, RSPCA etc all day it's fine). 2 of his siblings had already gone and the last one was going the same day.

Anyway that aside- the vets wouldn't vaccinate him until 9 weeks so we had to wait a week anyway. It was 9 and 12 weeks we took him and that's him vaccinated until he's a year old now.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

As others have said, 8 weeks of age is too young for the first vaccination. 9 weeks is the earliest it can be done. If it is done earlier it may not be fully protective.

Aside from that I personally would never vaccinate a kitten on the way home, or in their first 2 weeks with me. The whole experience of going to a new home is very stressful for a kitten and not the right time to be adding the potential physical stress on the body of vaccine into the mix IMO.

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Good point

chillminx likes this.
  9. Maria T

Maria T PetForums Newbie

Thank you all, we will see if the lady can hold the kitten for little longer.
    Lots to take in: what food, what litter, toys, sleeping bed, which room to bring her in and food/litter tray placement, catproofing the house and so on..

10. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Member

It's overwhelming. My advice is take it 1 step at a time! Food and litter stick to what the kitten is already getting at the moment and then focus on catproofing and getting her settled, then you can spend some time once she has arrived researching food to switch over to. We have had Ash for 7 weeks and we still haven't gotten around to changing litter, but we have made big changes to his food (and still introducing new brands as we go) :) It doesn't all need to be perfect on day 1 as long as she is safe and happy :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice