Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kitten to OG cat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lily333, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Lily333

Lily333 PetForums Newbie

so yesterday I brought home an 8 week old Female kitten. I’ve had my 4 year old Male cat for 2/3 weeks. They had a brief meeting, the kitten was in a carry cage and cat was hissing and growling etc. But since then my OG cat as been hissing, growling and going for me. If I try to leave a room he waits at the door and almost attacks me if I try and get past. Has anyone else’s had this? Is it normal? I’m worried it’s changed my OG cat forever! He’d still go for us before on occasion but usually my boyfriend and not me! But he seems scary now

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Poor thing hasn't had time to adjust yet. Keep the new kitten in a separate room for at least the first week, and let your older cat have the rest of the house. Introductions should be done very slowly, swapping items such as toys with the other cats scent on them. Feed the kitten in his separate room and make sure he has a litter tray and somewhere cosy to sleep in there. Where did you get the older cat? Had he ever lived with other cats before?

3. Lily333

Lily333 PetForums Newbie

They met by accident when kitten was in carry cage. OG cat seems chilled now, I’ve kept them completely separate just swapping smells. They have more than enough toys, litter boxes, food dishes etc so there will be no need for competition. I got him from a rescue centre and I got my kittten from the same centre, the rescue place weren’t sure, they don’t think he’s lived with cats before

4. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I know that we think that cats, being the same species, will automatically get along, but in reality cats are generally loners. The only time they bond together in the wild is to form a hunting pack - they will have one aim, to find enough to eat ! Domestic cats are not a lot different - they will guard their resources (food, sleeping areas, toys, litter trays and YOU) and they don't like to share. The only successful way to introduce a new cat (adult or kitten) into a household is to keep them separate, sometimes it only takes a week or two, other times it takes it a lot longer - it will all depend on the cats' personalities.

My own Bertie came from a rescue centre - he's 8 years old and has always been an "only" cat. I know from the way he reacts to neighbours cats that visit our garden that he would not accept another cat living in 'his' house and, as much as I would like a 2nd cat, I respect his personality and won't be getting another one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice