Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kitten, she is a little stinky...

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MySugar, Jun 30, 2009.

1. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

...due to coming from a smoking home :(
    We do not smoke and I would like to get her groomed. She is only 4 months old. Is she old enough to be groomed? And would this help irradicate the smell? I have a lot to learn yet, we got her very last minute. I want to give her the best possible care so have some research to do! Any advice would be very much appreciated. I had a cat previously but I was young when she was a kitten so do not have much knowledge with kittens.
    She is litter trained and has a lovely temperament. She is so far eating well and relaxing in her new environment (we picked her up last night at 8:30pm after phoning about her at 7:45pm!)

Thank you in advance.

2. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

She is old enough to be groomed. I would use a very soft baby brush on her initially. She will probably enjoy it as it will replicate getting a good wash from her Mum. I've had cats from smoking homes and the smell does go quite quickly. You can get dry shampoos or wipes for using on their coat, but I would avoid those until she is older.

What colour is she? If she isn't a dark colour you could try a bit of baby powder rubbed into her coat and then brushed out. I use that on my siamese, but it will turn a black cat grey for a while.

#2 Saikou, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  3. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Thank you. She is black but I think i'll just have a grey cat for a short while and try the talc and baby brush.

4. Abe

Abe PetForums Junior

Me and my partner have got a kitten who is 14wks old now and what i do is i have bought a little kitten brush and sit with him every night so when he falls asleep, i sit and brush his coat to get him used to me doing it for when he is older cause as you probably know with cats when they get older they shed a lot of hair and get fairballs.. So if you get them used to it while they are young then they wont mind it when they are older. Best advice i can give, sorry i cant help anymore. I guess it just depends on how you would like to raise your kitten.

5. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Thank you Abe. That is something I will be doing also. I used to with Sugar too as she had such long thick fur it was essential. I think it's good for the bonding process too :)

6. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

Shes gorg! i love the pink collor!!

7. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

she will soon smell of you and your house:) give it a couple of days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice