Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

NEW KITTEN - safe room location and moving litter questions

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lilbengalmama, May 13, 2020.

1. lilbengalmama

lilbengalmama PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I am new here as I recently just purchased my first kitten, I have always grown up with cats but now we're ready for our very own baby!

I have some questions about safe rooming our kitten and how to gradually move him out into the rest of the home.

My apartment is weirdly set across 4 staggered floors:
    1st floor: the kitchen and bathroom
    2nd floor: living room
    3rd floor: spare room
    4th floor: our bedroom

There is lots of room for the cat to play, but I am worried about how to introduce him to such a space.

I would love to safe room him in the bedroom so he is not lonely, but eventually I want the litter tray to be in the bathroom.. they are some distance away and I would hate to confuse him by moving the tray suddenly. I worry about safe rooming him in the kitchen without me having a watchful eye/ear over him during the night!

I would love to get some advice from you guys.

best wishes x

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @lilbengalmama and welcome :)

I definitely would not give him the kitchen as his safe room, too many things he could harm himself on.

Having his safe room as your bedroom is fine as long as you're prepared to spend a lot of time there with him throughout the day (i.e. as well as at night). Time spent with him will include just sitting keeping him company, doing your own thing (e.g. watching TV, being on your computer etc) as well as playing with him.

As he has no kitten pal to play with, you will have to take the role of playmate and play with him for several hours a day in periods of half an hour or so.

Your bathroom is a long way (for a kitten) from your bedroom, so it will be some while before you can do away with the bedroom tray. The right way to do it is to add a tray in the bathroom, and leave the tray in the bedroom until he has established his use of the bathroom tray.

In any case he will need more than one tray, especially as your house is so spread out. 2 trays for one cat is the bare minimum and he should not be expected at any age to manage with only one tray. Most cats like to pee in one tray and poo in another, but not always the same tray each time.

It would be a thoughtful act to provide a tray on every floor, so once he is moving around the whole house he is never far from a tray. Or if he is not to be allowed access to the spare room, then a tray on 1st, 2nd and 4th floor.

If it turns out eventually he is not using the tray in your bedroom then you could remove it. But only do so when you are certain he has stopped using it and is happy using the other 2 trays elsewhere in the house. If you remove it before you are sure he doesn't need it there is the risk he may do his toilet on the spot in the bedroom where the tray stood.

Once he has settled in I would introduce him to one floor at a time, so he is not overwhelmed.

It would be nice to see a photo of the little guy if you have one to share. We love kittens on this forum! :)

#2 chillminx, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    lilbengalmama and buffie like this.
  3. lilbengalmama

lilbengalmama PetForums Newbie

Hello @chillminx :rolleyes: thank you so much for your message!

This is so unbelievably helpful and I feel much better about the situation, I had never heard of the two tray thing before but with our house layout it makes total sense.. Will definitely start him out in the bedroom and have a tray on floor 1 and 4 eventually!

Here's a picture of our 2 week old mink Bengal, I can't wait to finally meet him and share even more with you! 7957f375-9a8e-455d-a2c1-79d92fcdb14c.jpg

Lots of love x

Shrike and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice