UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided I want to get a kitten or 2 as I really miss the purrs and fluffy cuddles. I was hoping to keep them indoors though (I am not trying to spark a debate over indoor vs outdoors and I have thought this through, have plenty of toys/cat trees etc) and was wondering if a kitten that has been used to going outside would be able to adjust to being kept in. The kittens are 16 weeks old and have access to a cat flap so do go outside at the moment. I have a Labrador and 2 young kids so doors and windows are often open.

I have a friend who has 3 cats that never go out and are not interested in doing so even with windows/doors open and I am worried that if I get these kitties they may wish to escape to the great outdoors and end up lost or injured.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
If you wanted to keep them in (which is completely fine btw) then you would have to have measures in place to stop them from getting out ie keeping doors and windows shut. Eventually they will probably not want to go outside if a window's open but you shouldn't expect this for a good while.

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
What I would say is that you can't really expect any cat whatever age to stay inside if windows and doors are left open. Most kittens will want to go and explore, and will do so unless prevented. They can get into all sorts of danger when very young, so if you can't keep the doors and windows shut, I'd suggest you get a much older, very streetwise cat or cats. I'm afraid you won't be able to keep any cat in in your situation unless you can train your kids.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we've picked up our Kitten on Friday and he's very cute.
The kids are under strict instructions not to open windows or doors but they're mostly locked unless in use and the weather isn't great so that part is easy at the moment.

The kitten is a little older than hoped for (19wks) and his sister was supposed to be coming too but apparently she was attacked the and is now blind and deaf and may not fully recover. The previous owners have handed her over to the RSPCA and the situation is being investigated so hopefully there can be some justice.

We've named him Sirius and he seems to be settling in really well, he has found lots of hidy holes when he wants his space but comes out for cuddles too. He's riddled with fleas so on Saturday he had a full MOT at the vets, de-flea/worm, 1st round of Vaccs and he'll be microchipped at the 2nd round then booked in for neutering. I have noticed some crusty blood round his nostrils and no evidence of cuts so I'm assuming at some point he may have had a bleeding nose. I've been combing him with a nit comb and got about 40 fleas off in 2 days and I'm now suffering from bites but it's a small sacrifice to get Sirius healthy.

He's so cuddly and loving and so placid I just love sitting stroking him.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
How on earth was the other kitten attacked so badly,and by whom, or what? were they let out,
Whatever the situation so sorry for the poor little thing, such bad injuries for a kitten to have,
I hope your kitten will be ok too

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the Mum is a stray and comes to the person's house for occasional food and gave birth there. There are other adult cats there too and they come and go via cat flap so the kittens have never been kept in.

The other kitten managed to crawl back to the house and was found to have severe head injury and massive swelling, burnt off whiskers, part of the tail cut off and soaked through (assumed whoever it was tried to drown her). The person who had them gave the other kitten to an unemployed friend who took her to the PDSA where it was reported to the RSPCA. They think it may have been a lodger who stayed in the house with the cats.

I'm just thankful Sirius now has a good home, he seems fine and he's been checked by the vet so hopefully he hasn't suffered to badly at his previous home.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Oh !the poor little thing, it sounds worse than if someone tried to drown her if half her tail had been cut off,
How could anyone let kittens so young out, i am lost for words,wh
at happened to the mum, was she taken to the PDSA or RSPCA too
I cant believe how cruel some people can be,but then again, shouldnt really be shocked these days
If the kitten had managed to crawl back then it must have happened veryu close to home
I will have to read again your post from the beginning, but i hope your kitten gets better
After reading what happened to the other kitten ,i would definitely keep yours in, i wouldnt risk letting him out, and anyway not until he has been neutered as other wise he might tend to wander,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.