Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kitten, older cat.

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Tiger1054, May 5, 2010.

1. Tiger1054

Tiger1054 PetForums Newbie

Hi

I'm new and have just posted on 'introductions'

Apologies in advance for the long post.

I already have an 11 month old BSH and yesterday I went and picked up my new kitten who is a BSH x Ragdoll and is 8 wks old.

I've had rescue cats in the past but never such a young kitten and never two together so its a bit of a learning curve, Devon my BSH was 5 months when I got him.

'Charlie' has been put in a small spare room with his litter, food, bed and toys and seems quite settled.

I briefly introduced him to Devon last night, there were a few hisses and growls from Devon but Charlie took it all in his stride. As he didn't seem too fussed I allowed Devon access to him in short bursts yesterday evening and this morning.

Is cat behaviour a little like that of dogs in that the older one has to show his authority? Devon hasen't shown anymore aggression to the kitten but has started to grab him by the scruff and pin him down, I told him off the first time but the kitten didn't seem bothered, in fact he went back for more! so the last few times I've watched closely but just let it play out. Devon does not appear to be hurting Charlie as he never yells out, just submits then runs off turns round and comes back for more.

Is Devon just making sure the kitten knows whose boss? am I right to let it play out?

At the moment the kitten is playing like mad and Devon is laying down watching and looking pretty laid back.

Charlie came from a house with two adult cats and a dog.

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

That sounds pretty much like all the introductions I have had with my cats. I have always let them sort it out for themselves (whilst supervising to make sure things don't gett too rough!) & it's always been pretty much as you describe.
    Even now my cats can start off playing, things get a bit rougher & one pins the other one down then 5 mins later they've reversed roles!
    Just make sure you give the older cat just as much (if not a bit more) attention & I'm sure they'll be fine. If Charlie has come from a household with other cats & a dog then he's probably not too intimidated by Devon & used to standing up for himself a bit more.
    I've just read another post about kittens & I'm so jealous, I'd love another one. Good luck with your new arrival, I'm sure they'll get on just fine

3. Tiger1054

Tiger1054 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for that reply am glad its all normal behaviour, am used to puppies but as its my first kitten I wasen't so sure. They seem to be getting on ok, am surprised at how quick its happened, am still keeping the sessions short but Charlie is holding his own!!

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I'm sure they'll be fine. The two cats I have now got on instantly, it was love at first sight for Basil (the older cat) - he even shared his toys straight away. You sound as if you're doing everything right

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice