Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Kitten, not sure what to do!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Becksie, May 5, 2010.

1. Becksie

Becksie PetForums Junior

Hello

Let me explain my situation, I am picking up my Siamese baby on Thursday, my friend's friend found 3 kittens by a bin who she has been looking after. I said I would have one as thought it would be company for my other one.
    She brought him over last night, well he is tiny, I have never had a kitten as young as this, I say he is about 7/8 weeks old which I feel is too young to be leaving his siblings but least she rescued him.
    Will my Siamese help with his development being a little bit older?

Food - She has been feeding Whiskers kitten which I am going to change but he has only eaten a tiny amount. How much to kittens his age eat a day? I keep showing him is food but doesn't seem hungry. I have brought some cat milk, not sure if this is good or bad?

Litter tray. I keep showing him where is tray is, plonking him on it, so far he has wee'd.

What else do I need to do? luckily I am off work until the end of May so am going to spend as much time as I can with both of them.

What else do you suggest? he is crying alot which is understandable as he is a tiny baby, he seems chunky enough for his size.
    I am taking him to the vets this morning also.

Thanks!!

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Well done for giving the abandonded kitten a home, it's awful to think of people dumping animals like that.
    I think a check up initally is a good idea just to make sure his overall health is good & has no infections that could be passed on to the kitten you are picking up on Thursday.
    I would keep to the same food that your friend used for the few couple of weeks & but change it very gradually to ensure that he doesn't get an upset tummmy. They only eat a small amount at first so I'd start with about a tablespoonful five times a day, and adjust if your kitten is leaving food in the bowl or is still hungry.
    You can give him milk specially formulated for kittens but check that this is suitable for young cats first.
    That's a good sign that he is already using his litter tray, he may not go very often at fist as he is still settling in, just keep an eye on things.
    If he seems alert & generally in good health then he is probably getting enough food. The vet will be able to give you more advice after seeing him.
    I think that he will benefit from having your kitten arrive on Thursday if he is missing his siblings. Don't expect them to instantly get on - they might do but they may not. Just ensure that they have enough space to get away from each other & supervise them but at their age they are unlikely to injure each other.
    Lucky you being off until May, I'll bet you'll have a fantastic few weeks watching them play together - I'm very jealous!!!
    Post an update of how you get on

Dally Banjo likes this.
  3. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Kittens this age only have very tiny stomachs, he needs to eat little and often. He will be missing his siblings and will need a lot of reassurance from you, I am sure he will be delighted to have a friend even thoguh the fried is bigger. If he's lively I should think he is getting enough to eat.

Liz

4. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Awwwwwwwwwww hope everything goes ok at the vets & you will have to put some pics on soon pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese :D

5. Becksie

Becksie PetForums Junior

I will try to load up some pictures when I have worked out how to do it!!

The Vet says he is in good health, about 8 weeks old. She wormed him and I am taking him back in a couple of weeks for his Jabs.
    He seems to have settled in, he is asleep at the min!

6. Dally Banjo

:( I cant see

7. Becksie

Becksie PetForums Junior

Not sure if this will work!!

Attached Files:

8. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

He is gorgeous :001_wub:

9. Dally Banjo

:thumbup: Awwwwwwwwwwwww there he is :001_wub:

10. thenaughtyfairy

thenaughtyfairy PetForums Junior

awww he's adorable! What's his name?

11. Becksie

Becksie PetForums Junior

He is a cutie, I can't wait to pick up my Siamese tomorrow and see how they get on.

He is called Alfie.

12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

He's beautiful!

13. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

awwww absolutely gorgeous.

I am a sucker for little kittens.

14. thenaughtyfairy

thenaughtyfairy PetForums Junior

Me too, always makes me want to get another when I see them. My two have just turned 5 :)

15. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

OMG he is gorgeous!!!

I am very jealous lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice