Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kitten, little worried

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lillylove, May 4, 2010.

1. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

hi, am new here.
    Firstly, I am taking her to the vets tomorrow/when I can get the soonest appointment. :)

Ended up sort of rescuing a 10 week old kitten this weekend, the woman who had her could not cope with copious amounts of animals (cats, kittens, rabbits, kids etc), all of which she is trying to rehome but I advised her to go about it the right way, through a shelter. She probably won't. I can't say she was badly neglecting them, but it was like a messy zoo. :(

The house was really badly messy and I knew I was likely letting myself in for a kitten with bad habits or some problems, so just looking for general advice until I get to the vet. On first inspection of the kitten, she looked pretty happy and came straight over to me, clean eyes, clean ears, no running nose, doesn't seem bloated out, can walk on all paws.

I have had a kitten before, but he was a Ragdoll from a proper breeder, I didn't get him until he was 16 weeks and he was fully wormed/de-flead and with a vets certificate, and I never had ANY issues with him at all. He was a lovely well behaved cat. This time I have no idea what I was getting, but am willing to put the work in myself.

This little lady cat is just lovely, she has a brilliant temperament, is friendly, confident and seems to be really settled very quickly in some respects. She never hides from us (apart from if she is weeing on the floor!).

The woman was so vague about what she fed the kitten, I didn't even see any food left out for them (their food bowls were piled up on the worksurface, waiting to be cleaned). Got some Whiskas and kitten was starving and ate pretty much straight away (not too much) but thinking, is this too rich? I imagine this kitten ate adult cat food or whatever she could get hold of before. She eats and drinks fine.

Toileting is a concerning issue. She has very loose (not watery, just unformed) extremely STINKY stools, about twice a day. I managed to get her to her litter tray twice today because I could smell that she needed to go before she went! She will sometimes get to her litter tray for a wee, but if I am upstairs she doesn't seem to want to leave the room and will wee under my bed. Have put another little tray upstairs for her, but she never goes near this one. Keep putting her in her litter trays but she looks at me as if I am crazy and has never seen litter before, due to the fact she plays with it!

Previous owner said she had de-flead and wormed... I can't take her word for this, and am going to get it checked out.

Kitten is lonely at night, and wants to sleep on my bed. I shut her out with a bed of her own, but she cried and cried outside the door for ages (I am a soft touch). I personally don't have issues with healthy pets on beds, but is it best to not allow this until I am sure she doesn't have worms? My vet website says that its more difficult to catch them from cats, and so far I haven't seen anything concerning on her rear end and am also very clean when I touch her litter tray, but the internet is very vague on this issue.

I am intending on keeping her indoors until she is big enough to be neutered. I think this is going to prove difficult to keep a lively little cat indoors, but its too big a risk for her to end up pregnant, so it isn't really cruel is it?

#1 lillylove, May 4, 2010
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
  2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I would keep her in a small room with her litter tray untill she is used to useing it & see what the vets say.

Probably just a bit stressed at moveing house & possible the food I would be feeding a higher meat content of food there are alot of threads on here about it if you do a search :)

3. lillylove

Thanks, yes I have been reading and am going to try her on different food definately - didn't realise about Whiska's food really how bad it was!

I can't keep her in one room, she gets extremely distressed, as she does if she is shut away from me and right now she is fast asleep on my bed, although I know I should move her! But when i go out I let her have the run of hallway, kitchen and bathroom and there is a lot of space. I went to work today and she didn't go to the toilet anywhere at all - for hours. She was fast asleep. But when I am in the house she follows me literally everywhere, all the time. I just took her to the litter tray again and she sits in the tray playing with it - good I suppose, but no toileting seems to happen!

She doesn't seem as stressed as I thought she would - I think this house is actually quieter than what she previously was up against, and no competition for food. I have noticed that she is woolfing down her food and its the one time if you make a noise she will run away, probably because she didn't get much of it before.

Have been researching loose stools as well, the fact that this poo stinks bad and she has bad wind is concerning me a little

4. lillylove

From reading, I am also a little worried she isn't eating enough. She only eats when I take her to the food myself, and has only eaten 1 little kitten tin of food in 24 hours. Obviously I take her there quite a lot to eat. I am going to get different food tomorrow with a higher meat content

5. Dally Banjo

Hopefully the vet will have some answers, maybe leave the radio on when you arnt around then she'l get used to noises :)

Louie seems to go off to bed when I go out I think he likes to conserve energy to go crazy when we are in to be wound up :D

6. lillylove

Yes, she definately saves it up for us!
    She also waits until my children are in bed, goes on a rampage around the house weeing in places and running around with wet paws! She always goes for corner wee-places
    Also difficult to keep the doors closed to the other rooms sometimes, when we are trying to walk between rooms and I have one of those new build houses where all the doors are fire doors and swing shut on their own. We usually have them wedged open. I have temporarily banned her from the carpeted living room after she pooped behind the sofa!

7. Dally Banjo

Ooooooooooops make sure you clean it up well or she'l keep going back :rolleyes: I just used non bio soap powder when Louie had an accident on the carpet when we got him home He was lets say a little shocked at meeting the dogs :eek: he loves them now though. I think vinegar is good to.

8. lillylove

I have wooden floor upstairs so its not so bad but she ran across my daughters bed with wet paws earlier. I have been cleaning it up with bio, in fact she has never been in the same spot twice yet. I can really tell when she needs to go to the toilet as she is so vocal and scratches a lot, I just can't catch her to get her in the tray half the time!

9. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

To be honest, the only way she might learn to go in a litter tray is going back to basics... she has obviously been allowed to go wherever she likes in her previous home as kitties tend to like using a tray if they have been taught this from the begining.

If it was me, I'd confine her to one room with her bed, litter tray, food, water and toys etc and until she has learnt about the tray and whats it for etc, I'd not let her have free roam of the house.

You can buy cat attract litter which contains cat nip (i think - or another herb they like the smell of) and this encourages them to 'like' their litter tray and smell their litter better.

When she is allowed back into all the rooms in the house, i'd would mark them with her scent first... do this by using a tea towel to gently wipe over her face, chin, back, tail etc and then transfer her scent by wiping said tea towel over the skirting boards and furniture etc around the house - repeat til the house is done. This tends to make them feel less like 'marking' their own scent as it were.

Re food and also stinky poop - Whiskas will make her stinky, it is full of rubbish carbs etc and this really makes little ones poop smell. I would def go with higher meat content like you've mentioned and if you can, maybe some raw food as this is good for fattening them up - raw chicken or rabbit or lamb etc... Or prawns too. But best to get her settled first. Fishy oil is good in tempting them to eat...

#9 The Twins, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  10. lillylove

Thank you for all the great advice. She is off to the vets at 5pm for a checkover.
    I am keeping her in a smaller area now, and it is working a bit better.
    She didn't have any accidents while I was out at work today (or seem to have gone in of her own accord it was still clean), and when I put her in her tray, she went for a poo of her own accord - and although it stinks it is fully formed and looks totally normal now - yay. I wondered if the wood based litter was proving uncomfortable for her - when I watch her, she seems to fiddle around for ages trying to squat, as if it feels strange underneath her. I didn't buy the crystals as I had a cat who had pica before and used to eat it all - and thats really bad for them.

She isn't even keen on the whiskas anyway, but I thought it would likely be the closest to what she was weaned onto, and didn't want to upset the balance straight away or put her off eating at a new house, and today when I went out she has eaten all the dry food instead. Have bought some better quality food for her to try. We love oily fish in this house so she will definately end up with a lot of that.

11. lillylove

with raw food, is there anything I have to do it? its ok to give raw from a packet as it is?

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Nope, just cut it up into smaller pieces. As she grows up a little you can also give her raw meaty bones to chew (chicken wings, chicken necks, lamb ribs) - a great way to keep their teeth in top shape!

If you want to feed her raw full stop, then you will need to look around for either complete ready made minces etc or find a recipe online.

Good luck with your kitten! :)

#12 hobbs2004, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  13. lillylove

Just got back.
    She is not too underweight, and vet thought she looked really healthy
    she has an unexplained quite high temperature though, so could not be vaccinated today :( . No treatment for it because there doesn't appear to be anything wrong now the poo is returning to normal, so could be that she had a virus
    got some advocate for fleas/worms that will not mix with other treatments.
    I gave her a tin of mackerel, which she loved

14. lillylove

I am going to try not to be too much of a panicky cat owner, but I had a ragdoll die of something (unknown) in a very slow painful unpleasant way :( and after that I have been reluctant to have a cat again! So I probably worry far too much - sorry!

15. Dally Banjo

Cats were invented to make us worry ;)

16. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh yes, they tend to be fusspots and we tend to be worrywarts! A winning combination :lol:

17. lillylove

She seems to be doing quite well lately apart from the food issue! Isn't happy to touch wet food much at all, so it just sits there all day. She likes the dry food so maybe need to find a good quality one if thats her choice and some wet that might temp her!
    Litter training is going pretty well - only found 1 accident lately, which was in a tiny corner near to the litter tray, so it was on lino flooring - I can deal with that easily no problems and is a great improvement. Poo is def back to what cat poo should look like lol, and more voluntary wee's in the tray.
    Just hope that she doesn't still have a temp.
    Put the flea and wormer stuff on the back of her neck, she was sooooo good. She is a total delight. Never had such a friendly loving but well behaved kitten. There is a little bit of scratching going on when she gets the devil into her, but quickly responds to 'no'
    I got the hoover out earlier and she was giving me the most strange comical looks from upstairs through the banisters but she still hasn't come out - traumatised!

18. mellowyellow

mellowyellow PetForums Member

Lol we call it the evil hoover in this house my two hide on the bedroom windowsil behind the curtan when I hoover and when I finish they peak out giving me dirty looks

19. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

My cat has gone off her normal wet food (although strangely she's wolfing up Tescos Tuna pouches!). Anyway, I think the warmer weather is drying out the food if left out too long so I've got some Applaws 80% biscuits to compliment her with.

Applaws do kitten as well. You just have to check if it's "complete" or not.

20. lillylove

I still cannot get her to eat hardly anything. I am resorting to having to leave it out longer than I would ideally like (ie for a few hours) under a multitude of circumstances - me indoors and near to the bowl - a house in silence - a normal noisy house - everyone out of the house - everyone asleep. AND SHE STILL HARDLY EATS ANYTHING.

Yet she seems completely fine behaviour wise. PLaying, happy, purring, mental hour in the evenings, trying to attack my guinea pigs haha :D
    The little minx will eat the dry food. I wonder if I should not serve ANY dry food until she starts eating some wet? I am using Royal Canin kitten dry. she is a little constipated now, but is drinking plenty of water.

Here is also the brands and foods I have so far tried. She appears to HATE fish.

Tinned mackerell (ie, not catfood). Ate a few little mouthful then ignored
    Tuna kitten whiskas. Ignored completely
    Chicken kitten whiskas. Ate a little initially
    Almo nature chicken - ate some
    Almo nature tuna - refused/ignored
    Tinned tuna from tescos - ignored
    Raw chicken - ignored (did not leave this out for long)
    Highlife chicken - ate and enjoyed the trial sachet I bought. will not eat it today. Has touched a tiny mouthful.

I am back at the vets tomorrow. But any ideas are welcome. I am trying not to push it with her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice