UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new kitten home yesterday and he settled almost instantly. He ate everything I put down to him. All in he ate one pouch, but when I put a bowl down for him about ten o'clock last night he wouldn't eat it. I put a small amount of dry food out for him just before I went to bed and added a little water to it just like I was told to do. I woke him this morning and he was still laying on his bed sound asleep so I thought he'd been there all night since the dry food didn't look like it had been touched, but he's just thrown up and it's all chunks of the dry food. He's now asleep, but he hasn't ate or drank anything all morning. I'm guessing it's the dry food with water in it laying out all night has made him sick, but should I try him with some milk or water. I'm afraid he's not drinking enough. Also should I leave out the dry food from now on and just stick with the wet?

Sorry for the big long question.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
If he's sluggish and lethargic I really think you should take him to the vet as soon as possible, I don't want to scare you but kittens should be running around like mad things, not sleeping all the time, and they can easily get dehydrated at this age. See if you can get him to lick water from your fingers if he won't drink from the dish, sometimes that can help. Let us know how he gets on!

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If he's sluggish and lethargic I really think you should take him to the vet as soon as possible, I don't want to scare you but kittens should be running around like mad things, not sleeping all the time, and they can easily get dehydrated at this age. See if you can get him to lick water from your fingers if he won't drink from the dish, sometimes that can help. Let us know how he gets on!
He was swinging from the curtains up until five minutes before being sick and now he's fallen asleep. He doesn't really like water so I've been giving him milk. I just didn't want to give him any after being sick.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
From what I have read on here adding water to dry food is not a good idea as it delevops bacteria growth, possibly why he has been sick.

You say he ate everything you put down, then said he only had one pouch. I know you mentioned in a previous thread you were getting an 8 or 9 week ol kitten, is this the kitten and how old is he ?

What food was he eating before you brought him home ? I think you should stick with that for a few weeks. I don't really know anything about young kittens but have read cows milk isn't good for some kittens and just plain water or something like goats milk would be better.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I have read on here adding water to dry food is not a good idea as it delevops bacteria growth, possibly why he has been sick.

You say he ate everything you put down, then said he only had one pouch. I know you mentioned in a previous thread you were getting an 8 or 9 week ol kitten, is this the kitten and how old is he ?

What food was he eating before you brought him home ? I think you should stick with that for a few weeks. I don't really know anything about young kittens but have read cows milk isn't good for some kittens and just plain water or something like goats milk would be better.
Hi there, yes it's the same kitten. He's eight weeks. It's the food I got from the breeder. I think you're right about the dry food so I won't be doing that again.

I've been giving him kitten milk, but was afraid to after he was sick, but he's just woken up and started licking his empty bowl so I put some milk and he had some. Now he's running around again so hopefully it's past.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.