UK Pet Forums Forum banner

New kitten in the house. Oh no...

574 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ottery 
#1 ·
So, yesterday we got a new addition to the family named Narla. We already have a male 10 week old kitten named Mylo. When he first saw her after her settling in alone... Mylo was licking her body, face and ears. After a couple of hours, he began hissing and moaning, going to bite me and my partner (which has NEVER happened before!!!) Does anybody know if this is a territorial thing or jealousy or something else?? It’s still going on now unless either one is asleep.

#2 ·
Hello @emmajade.xxx and welcome :)

Cats are solitary predators and therefore are naturally suspicious of other cats. They are very protective of their territory (the home) and their resources (food, water, litter trays, beds, toys, scratch posts etc)

Even a 10 week old kitten has these protective instincts and may be highly suspicious of a strange cat or kitten suddenly appearing in their territory without any warning and then not leaving.

Separate the kittens and give the new one her own safe room with all she needs. Then introduce them slowly under your supervision. It shouldn't take long with kittens of such a young age, they are very adaptable at that age.

Increase all the resources in the home, so that Mylo can see there is plenty of everything and he is not going to have to give up any of his resources. .

Provide at least 3 litter trays. Spread them about, do not group them together.

Give each kitten his/her own separate feeding spot out of sight of the other kitten; maybe feed one kitty on the floor and the other on a shelf or table the other side of the room. Do not allow sharing of bowls.

Provide several bowls of drinking water spread around the home.

Provide several scratch posts and scratch pads in each room. Position one by each door.

If they like cat beds provide a choice so they can swap around where they sleep. For 2 cats I would provide 6 cat beds spread around.

Provide high up places such as tall cat trees, so each kitty can get away from the other for rest when they want to.

Also provide hidey holes in quiet places behind furniture, in corners etc. Cardboard boxes will do. Do not disturb a kitten when they are in one of their hiding places.

#3 ·
Last winter we got a very sweet natured kitten called Otto. When he was 4 months old we introduced 3 month old Teddy. Otto, who had always been the friendliest most laid back animal, decided he couldn't abide Teddy and hissed, growled, slapped him and had a massive drama about it (we kept Teddy away from him except for short supervised periods). I couldn't believe the change in such a chilled out animal and I wondered if he would accept Teddy.

Needless to say, he did! After a couple of days they were playing happily with each other. Just supervise and make sure you don't force them together, give them the option to be completely apart from each other - they need to decide for themselves at which point they will get together.

#4 ·
That's honestly exactly what Mylo is like. He's so laid back, and now he's just jumpy, hisses and growls and is just so restless. Narla just wants to play but Mylo will hiss at any chance he's got. They've got completely separate litter trays, food and water bowls, toys, scratch post, etc. But he will attempt to fight her at any little thing she does and she's so tiny, he's almost like 4 months old... thankyou for the help x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.