Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kitten help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jduh, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Jduh

Jduh PetForums Member

So I brought home my new 4 month old kitten yesterday that I got from a rescue. She is currently. Confined to the spare room as her 'safe room' and has explored it a little but mostly stayed curled up under the futon in there. She has used the litter tray and I have seen her drink some water but I am not sure if she has eaten anything yet and I'm a bit worried about that. I have the food that she was eating at the rescue for her.

The advice I need is on how much time to spend in the spare room with her. Today I have been off work all day so I let my two 7 month old cats outside and left the back door open for them to come and go and then I went and read in the spare room with my new girl Millie. Millie didn't come out from under the futon the whole time I was there. After a few hours my boys came back in and Hec was meowing around the spare room door so I'm now out of that room and in the living room with my boys asleep next to me. I don't want to leave Millie alone for too long but at the same time I don't want to spend too much time with her and not enough with my boys. Any advice on a good ratio?

Also any ideas of how to coax Millie out from under the futon or shall I just leave her until she's ready? This is completely different from when we brought our boys home as within a few hours they were napping on my lap.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

2. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

She will need time to adjust. I wouldn't spend too long with her but the reading aloud to her is a good trick. You could also use a dangle toy to entice her to play. Just dangle it near the futon.

Leave the food out for her - she will eventually have some when she is ready. It's just a nerve wracking time at the moment for her.

Have you done any scent swapping with her and you other cats? I would put a blanket which smells of your cats in with her and vice versa for your 2 to get used to her.

each cat is individual - some will settle really easily - some will take time to adjust. She sounds like a timid one so take slow. Read to her for a bit (say 15- 20 minutes) then leave her for the rest of the hour.

3. Jduh

Jduh PetForums Member

Thank you for the reply. I will go back and do some more reading in a bit and try and entice her out with a dangle toy as you suggest. I have a feliway plug in in her room so I'm hoping that will help a bit.

I will put a blanket in there that she will hopefully go near for a couple of days then put it near my boys. I can easily put something smelling of my resident kittens in with her.

Do you think when it gets to the time of introducing her to my boys they will accept her more because they are still young themselves (7 months)?

4. CharlieChaplin

When I got my two I sat in with them for a while then we left the house for a few hours then came back and spent time with them. Then slowly introduced the to each room. But we didn't have any other cats so this could be done slowly. So I have never introduced cats to other cats :)

The feliway plug may take a while to work - does she seem at all stressed? If she does get stressed I would get zykle from my vet.

Start scent swapping as soon as you can. This should help with your introductions as they already know there is another cat somewhere.

I can't say if they will accept her or not due to age (as I have never introduced cats) but people do tend to suggest getting a similar aged cat to their pre existing ones. I don't see why, if it is done slowly and carefully, they wont accept her.

5. Jduh

Jduh PetForums Member

She doesn't seem stressed as she was purring last night when she let me stroke her briefly. The lady at the rescue said she is a shy kitten and came from a litter of 3 who were kept in their owners garden :( but that she was slightly off from her litter-mates.

I know she'll take time and patience, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to make the transition as least stressful for her as possible. If she seems stressed at all I will look into getting that stuff from the vets.

6. Jduh

Jduh PetForums Member

image.jpg

This is a picture I managed to get of her last night. She's beautiful!

7. CharlieChaplin

O bless her - sounds like a horrible start in life! No wonder she is a little shy - she probably had no human interaction. I know from personal experience how rewarding a shy kitten can be.

It sounds as what you are doing so far is fine. Keep talking to her, entice her to play, scent swap then introductions!

Gorgeous gal!

8. Jduh

Jduh PetForums Member

So last night Millie came out from under the futon and started meowing her head off. Both boys went straight up to the bedroom door and sniffed around. I went in to see Millie and she ran past me before I even got the door open a tiny bit.

So she ended up meeting our cats. She was purring her head off and meowing at them and there was a bit of hissing and growling from the boys if she got too close. My boys were quite chilled out for the rest of the time though.

After 5 minutes we put her back in her room and she just kept meowing her head off and scratching at the door so we took it in turns to go and sit with her in the room. Eventually she settled by herself in her room for the night we only a couple of meows.

This morning my boys have not eaten much of there food but have been cuddly with us. Do you think they're not eating much because of her? I let the boys outside and closed the living room door and then let Millie out of her room to explore the house. She has been meowing loads and looks like she is searching around for the other cats? In the rescue she was around lots of cats so I'm wondering if seeing other cats has made her feel more settled as she hasn't hidden at all since seeing them.

Should I let the 3 of them meet again for a bit? The hissing and growling is normal and will stop eventually?

9. CharlieChaplin

That's great news that she seems to have settled!

She probably is missing her litter mates a little bit - if she has always been with them. So the fact other cats are there she probably wants to play. Perhaps spend longer playing with her? Get her some dangly toys and a catit track etc

Hopefully your two will settle down - could you give them something of hers to sniff and get used to today? They may settle more that way. Sounds like the introductions went well tho :) I am sure the hissing will settle eventually.

10. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I don't have a huge amount of experience but I would let her out and meet them again - supervised, as I think she would be better to have the company and keeping her confined may be more stressful.

If there is nothing more than a bit of hissing, let them get on with it and see how it goes.

11. Jduh

Jduh PetForums Member

I went off to work and my partner stayed at home with the cats. He has been rubbing/stroking her lots with a towel and then rubbing skirting boards around the house and my two resident cats with the towel to do some scent swapping.

She has lots of toys and has been playing with the dangly toy a lot. She seems really settled and there's much less meowing.

She had some time with the resident cats today and there was hissing and growling but nothing else. One of my cats Xander only growls if she went near him while he was eating. The other one Hec keeps going up her and sniffing her tail/bottom and then when she turns and notices he hisses at her. Hec is the one who looks a little concerned about her being there, like he doesn't quite understand.

As she was in a home based rescue like cat foster care place she was around the ladies resident cats and other strays so she's used to all sorts.

I might let them have some time together before going to sleep tonight. I don't want to leave them unattended with her just in case.

12. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

Welcome and well done for rescuing Millie!

My first cat Ari (a rescue, 4 months old) spent nearly a week inside a hole in the sofa lining. I bribed her out with a bit of tuna (we got a free sample of Cosma Tuna, in our first order of Zooplus). Also, the first time she came close to me was for investigating to this song I was playing in the computer Mozart Piano Concerto No. 9, First Mvt, Mitsuko Uchida - YouTube

I hope it helps.

EDIT: Much love for her heart shaped nose!

#12 TatiLie, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  13. Jduh

Jduh PetForums Member

image.jpg

I'm so pleased with the above picture. Millie came home on Monday and Xander has let her cuddle up to him. I'm so pleased!

14. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

Wow!
    My cats have been living together for a year and they haven't stayed that close (yet).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice