Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kitten first night tonight

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by emmatc85, May 17, 2010.

1. emmatc85

emmatc85 PetForums Newbie

Hi first of all i would like to introduce myself. My name is Emma I have 2 children and a wonderful partner who today got me a kitten :) Ive always been a cat lover but also have no clue. Should i lock her in the bathroom with her litter tray and food tonight in hope that she sleeps ok?? If not where should she go. I dont want to let her have the roam of the house yet when im not with her as she seems so tiny. Also any good name ideas as she still hasnt got a name yet. My son wants coco, mrs snuffles or kitkat but im just not sure. If it helps u all come up with names she's a playful short haired black cat with white legs (all but 1) and a white chest n bottom of her face. Would be grateful for any replies. I can tell im going to be on here alot getting as much advice as possible as want to give her the best life possible xxxx

2. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

Aw congrats x

It might be best to give her somewhere confined to sleep, but it needs to be warm for her.
    I let my kitten have the stairs and hallway, and closed all the doors to the other rooms.
    But then you are running the risk of carpet accidents, so if you prefer to avoid them, then the bathroom might be a good idea. I also gave my kitten one of my jumpers (that I had worn) to curl up on and she loved this

good luck x

3. Colleen omelia

Colleen omelia PetForums Newbie

well agree with giving something of yours to the kitten for comfort, the bathroom should be fine as long as she is warm etc...

I think kitkat is a cute name

Good luck :) xx

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Just remember to put the loo seat down and something heavy on top so the little one can't get in!

Congrats on becoming the pet of a kitten :D hehe!

5. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

LOL and mine will also try to eat any hair that is in the shower plug hole. Yuk!

6. emmatc85

Thank u all for ur replies, i think her name is down to either sarah, lassie or kitkat now. First night went well, she only cried a little bit and that was just after i got up to use the loo. She's sooooo playful and very sweet although she loves being stroked she doesnt really like being picked up at the moment. any ideas on how i can walm her to that?? Also im very impressed as only had 1 accident but used her litter twice :) Also just 1 last question. how much do kittens eat as put a pouch of felix kitten food down for her a dinner time last night and there is still loads left this morning. xxx

7. tordis

tordis PetForums Senior

Cats and kittens get stresses quite easily and will manifest it in various ways, including not eating. This might be the reason why she's left some food in her bowl. Are you feeding her the same food she was weaned on? Felix is not the best choice, but if that's what she's used to, it's reasonable to keep her on that for now and gradually add some better quality, higher meat content food. Keep an eye on her - if she still refuses to eat, you'll probably have to tempt her somehow, as kittens deteriorate very, very quickly if they don't.
    How old is she, BTW?
    Can't wait to see pics. And I love the name Kitkat :)

8. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

Kittens need to eat little and often - 4-6 small meals a day, they wont be able to eat a whole pouch in one go. I used to give mine theirs split out over 4 meals when they were 10 weeks plus in age until they were about 5-6 month sold. How old is your little one?

Felix isnt very good in terms of meat quantity - 4% only. I'd let her settle first for a few weeks and then wean her off that slowly and get her onto something else with a higher meat content.

9. emmatc85

she's 9weeks tomorrow. Felix was what her owner weened her on so i wanted to use the same. What would u recomend instead?? Also how long should i leave her food there for her before it goes bad?? little rascal has just pooped in the corner of my room so i put her into the litter tray and then she did a wee in there the cheeky girl lol. she's already seeming more confident in her new home so im hoping she wont take too long to settle :) xx

10. RachelGC

RachelGC PetForums Member

If you can get hold of Feline Fyare thats 60% meat!! I've seen it sold in Morrisons, B&M Bargain and Home Bargains.

I get mine from Home Bargains as it's between 19p and 25p per pouch (depending on flavour)... My little Girl Tilly really loves the pilchard one which is 19p, the chicken one is 25p and i think the others (Ocean fish, salmon and tuna, seafood??) are all 19p too.

I think Morrisons do a multipack selection.

HiLife is another high meat content food (45% i think) which i believe is avialbale in most supermarkets and wilkinsons.

Avoid any main stream brands if you can (Whiskas, felix, kitekat) and even foods like Sheba, Gourmet etc as all ahev poor meat quality - which i found to be rather outrageous as they're so welknown and alot of the time pricey too!!

Are you home alot during the day?
    if so i'd say out 1/4 of the pack out for an hour or so 4 to 5 times a day. Once she's settled and gets her apetite up she'll wolf it down in no time.

My Tilly is 11 weeks old, she gets 1/2 a pouch of wet food down befor ei leave for work, has cat biscuits available andplenty of water out whilst i'm out, and then gets the other 1/2 of the pouch when i get in.

Some people don't think cat biscuits are good food, but as i'm not around during the day an awful lot i like her to have something to eat... i'm currently invesitaging automatic pet feeders so she can have wet all the time.

But thats what i do now, so i hope this helps :thumbup:

11. emmatc85

I heard that dry cat food was supposed to be better anyways but im waiting until she's settled in and then i'll take her to the vet and see what they say. Yeah i am in most the time when i do need to leave for the school run and stuff i just put her in the bathroom. How often and how much cat milk should i give her?? ps what are all ur cats called?? xxx

12. The Twins

There is a lot of info on good brands on the nutrition page - have a look. Make sure you feed a 'complete' brand tho... And i would only leave food out for 30 mins before taking it back up again and throwing it away.

Re litter tray/accidents, if she has yet to learn how to use it properly, i would confine her to one room with her litter tray, food, water, toys, bed etc... Make sure her food and water are not near her litter tray. And use the same litter she was used to in her last home as they dont like changes in their litter either. When she has got used to her 'safe room' and is using her litter tray successfully, then you can increase the rooms she is allowed to go into.

13. The Twins

Dry food is NOT better - it is full of carbs and fillers and will make your kitty poop for britain and stinky ones at that! It isnt good for their teeth either - complete misconception. WET food is FAR better... will find info on which ones shortly.

This info is from Hobbs2004:

There are many different complete wet foods that have a high meat content, which tend to contain chicken, salmon or tuna flavours, and that will not break the bank such as:

- Bozita - 93% meat content in their tetrapacks and available to order online from seapets, e and r, and zooplus. (about 4% fat). Bozita also do a tinned version, which is a pate that has 97% meat and 5% fat
    - Purely has got a meat content of 50% I believe and is available from Pets at home. About 2% fat
    - Natures Menu has a 70% meat content, and is available from Pets at home too as well as other places. About 6% fat
    - Feline Fayre is often fed by people here - the black pouches are complete- available in Asda, Morrisons etc (about 2% fat)
    - HiLife - also has a good meat content - varies from 45% to 70% depending on type. About 2% fat
    - Tesco also do a wet food that has a high meat content - I believe it is called Tesco Luxury
    - Porta 21 - tends to be whole meat tuna (46%) and the rest broth; very low fat 0.5%; available from zooplus. Porta is a bit like complementary food in terms of its texture but it is a complete food. Just low on fat. You could add some goose fat to fatten it up a bit.

If your cat eats pate, then you could try these:
    - Pet's Kitchen (Joe & Jills) - 90% meat content, about 8 - 10% fat - available from them directly - Pets Kitchen - Experts in natural pet food, developed by Joe Inglis TV Vet
    - Lily's Kitchen - 65% organic meat; 5.5% fat - available from them directly: Lily's Kitchen • Organic Dog Food, Organic Cat Food • Natural Complete Pet Food • Certified Holistic, Ethically produced • Natural dog food, Grain free cat food.
    -Grau - 89% meat content and 4% wholegrain rice; 5.5% fat - available from zooplus
    - Herrmanns - 97% organic meat, about 4-6% fat - available at zooplus but pricey but only need 1 pouch per day
    - Ziwi Peak - new to the UK market; 62% meat content and 6-10% fat - available from the bern per food website - based on the raw feeding principle: http://www.bernpetfoods.co.uk/acatal...t_Cuisine.html

In addition to changing his wet food, if that is what you want to do, you could also consider changing to a higher protein, higher fat dry food, such as Orijen, Applaws or Acana, that contain about 75% meat, and no wheat and other fillers (as your Purina One does).

14. RachelGC

RachelGC PetForums Member

Cat milk should only be given as a treat, Tilly loves cat milk but she only gets it once a week as a weekend treat :p

15. Twinklyfairypants

Twinklyfairypants PetForums Newbie

Hi! I've just brought my new kitten home today, her name is Luna (as in, Luna lovegood from Harry potter ;) ) and she is a marbled Bengal. She is absolutely gorgeous, but I'm a little worried as she seems to really dislike our other pets so far! I know it's only the first night but she is growling at my other cats and dogs, which I didn't expect. Maybe that's just the bengal in her though! Anyone got any tips for helping her warm to the others at all? Shes currently downstairs with my other female cat, she was meowing for me but seems to have stopped so I'm hoping she's fallen to sleep. Which would be lovely as she seemed to think it was playtime when I was coming to bed! Lol I'm worried of what chaos I might find in the morning! Lol
    Thanks, Kelly xxx

16. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

My cat is called Leo, but thats no help to you since you have a girl;)
    Also do not feed dry, as I have been told on here- 'The worst quality wet is better than the best quality dry!'
    Anyway is it possible to get a photo of your new baby up? Here of pf we loooooove photos!:D

17. Twinklyfairypants

Twinklyfairypants PetForums Newbie

hi all, i think i posted about the wrong thing on this feed lol but oh well! it was very interesting to read about the different foods available and tbh i had never really thought much about the meat content in wet food! being vegetarian, i guess i just presumed any would be ok!!
    Luna came to me with felix kitten pouches and a bag of dry food (i don't know what kind for definite, but looked like go cat or similar) and after reading this thread i went out on a mission for better food! i've managed to find high-life in kitten, adult and senior (my oldest two are 8 now), and can confirm that both kitten and senior have a minimum meat content of 60% in the collection/selection range, but i saw another range by them and read that it had only 4% meat content. anyways, for either kind its over £5 a pack. i know i'm paying for better quality etc but does anyone know of anywhere that sells it a little cheaper? maybe online? or an animal feed wholesalers? i also found natures menu, which seems to be the same price, if not a bit dearer.
    after all this its got me wondering if giving my cats crappy (albeit, well known, supposedly 'the best' brands) food has contributed to my older females urinary and weight problems???? i'm hoping that putting them on a better food will help with both! my lot have never been fussy, they don't mind what food they have so if anyone has any other thoughts on what would help with urinary and weight problems in an older dear then id be very grateful. the vet hasn't been very helpful, just told me to increase their water intake, and more exercise!

thanks, kelly xxx ps heres some pics of my little luna-bug....

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice