Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Kitten Diary

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenni84, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Jenni84

Jenni84 PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

On Friday i became a new mummy to 2 adorable kittens.

I have never owned a cat before, never mind 2 little furballs like these 2! I have always been brought up with dogs but have toyed with the idea of a cat for about 2 years. Soooo on Xmas morning i was surprised with pictures of my tiny little ball of fluff which we thought was a girl but turned out to be my little prince Stan! Whilst visiting Stan, i also fell for his sister and decided to take her too, she is now named Hollie.

I have decided to keep a diary on here so that you can all keep an eye on how we are getting on and offer any tips/advice where you think it may be needed.

So to bring you up to speed.......

Stan and Hollie were born on 21/11/11 and are 7 weeks old tomorrow. I know that this is a very young age to have taken them from their mum but i did so on the advice of a reputable vet.

Unfortunately, the mother of the kittens was still allowed to go outside whilst nursing and so came home and infected the kittens with fleas. As im sure you all know, fleas can potentially be life threatening to kittens and so i decided to take mine to the vet to be treated before i brought them home. When i called to book them in, i was advised not to take them back to the house they were coming from as the other cats/kittens were not being treated.

On Friday evening i took them to the vet and she prescribed frontline spray which i treated them with as soon as we arrived home. She also said that they were a little underweight but otherwise healthy so i should continue to feed them the dry food that they were used to along with a little kitten milk and plenty of water.

When we arrived home they were both understandably a little wary of their new surroundings and very tired so i put their bed food and water etc into a quiet room and left them to sleep.

On Saturday morning, they seemed to have eaten a little food but not much so i mentioned this to the vet when i went back to pick up the wormer. The vet said to keep an eye on them and bring them in if they were not eating. On the advice of someone else, i bought a small tray of kitten meat and mixed a tiny amount in with the dry food. OMG did they soon start eating!! They soon had full little tummies which really put my mind at ease.

As Saturday went on, they seemed to come more and more out of their shells and luckily they have really seemed to take to me! Which is good as im the only human in the house!! :D After each meal/play time, they both come and climb on my lap for 40 winks!

Today again has been a good day, they are exploring a little more and playing much more. I am trying to teach them how to use their litter tray at the moment which is difficult but im sure they will soon get the hang of it!

Anyway, i hope you dont mind the long post but i wanted to bring you up to speed on the last couple of days. As i said at the beginning, any advice/hints & tips you can give are much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Jenni, Stan & Hollie x

2. Izzie

Izzie PetForums Senior

3. bluepersianlover

bluepersianlover PetForums Member

Congrats on new family members.

It sounds like for a first cat owner u r doing well. Post pics asap x

4. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Hi Jenni, welcome to the forum :) and congrats on your two little fur babies :) thank you for sharing and updating us on Stan and Hollie :)

Great advice from Izzie about the reading up on the food threads, really great advice in those :thumbsup:

Would love to see some pics of Stan and Hollie :)

5. Lunaowen

Lunaowen PetForums Member

Congratulations. I also loved reading your Diary bless. I joined today as we became parents to our new addition to the household recently. She was born early hours of Halloween and will be 10 weeks old tomorrow. I like you was brought up with dogs but always wanted cats. We had our first kitten 12 years ago unfortunately we had to let him go to a friend as he kept attacking our daughter who was around 3 at the time, probably because she would tease him. After this our next Cat came from Cat protection he was a year old when we had him and wonderful. We haven't had a cat since then but I was desperate never thought we would have a kitten again but when it was a friend I couldn't resist. She is already part of the family and feel like we have had her forever will be two weeks wednesday. I need lots of tips and advice as its been so long. Will look forward to reading your diaries to keep up to date and hopefully learn along with you, good luck x

6. notsure

notsure PetForums Senior

First and foremost, congrats on the new additions, and also well done for knowing that cats aren't dogs and have different needs, and taking the time to seek advice. You will find a lot of good advice on here, and a number of differing oppions, the best thing i can suggest is to take a read, educate yourself and decide what is right for you and your kittens.

10 (well 11 actually) handy things I've learnt (or knew and was reminded of) from reading these forums:

1) Always get flea/worming treatments from your vet (something you've already done), yes they are more expensive, but a lot of the over the counter stuff is ineffective, and worse some can be lethal to your pet.

2) The kitten vaccination series are a must, (this is the first 2 sets given at around 8 & 12 weeks plus the 12 month booster). After that there is a differing oppion about how often they need additional boosters but that's one of those things you need to decide for yourself. On the subject of vaccinations, there is also a differing oppion on exactly what your cat should be vaccinated against the 3 core vacines would be a definite yes, but you may need others depending if your cats will be strictly indoor or outdoor cats, and even where you live. Again, do some research, and speak to your vet for the best advise.

3) Vets do not always know best. Don't take what they say with blind faith, do your own research, and if needs be get a second opinion. That being said, if you think something is wrong, it's better to call/visit a vet and get told it's nothing, than not go until it's too late. Like any industry, there are both good & bad vet practices out there, take a look at this thread for advice on finding a good one: http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/172458-how-choose-good-veterinary-practice.html

4) Vets bills add up - so you should either consider insurance, or setting up a savings account to cover any expenses that come up.

5) Spay/Neuter your kittens. Some vets will do this as early as 10 weeks, others prefer to wait until the kittens are closer to 6 months. As you have one of each sex (and brother & sister at that), it is even more important that you get this done before the female comes into season. If you are unable to afford to get them both done at the same time, I believe (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong), it's far better to get the girl done first, as boys can still be fertile 6 weeks after they are done, while with girls it is an instant fix. There is a great thread on the reasons why spaying/neutering is not an option with cats: http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-breeding/140588-reasons-spay-neuters-your-pets.html.

6) Even if you do decide you want your cats to be outdoor cats (some prefer indoor only - and this is another widely debated topic here) - it's a good idea not to let them out until they are around a year old (and definitely not before getting them neutered/spayed).

7) Cats are carnivores, they need meat not grains/vegetables - so a high meat content food will always be better for them, be it wet or dry (reading the links pasted above will give you an idea why many people here think wet food is the better choice). That being said, the better quality foods don't automatically mean expensive - as they contain less grains & other fillers the cat utilises more of what they eat (instead of just pooping the excess out), and therefore need less food - added to which it's possible to buy in bulk online at places like zooplus: Cat Shop: Cat Supplies and Cat Accessories at zooplus (careful by all reports that site is addictive).

8) Kitten food is generally a gimmick designed to get you to spend more - if you are feeding a good quality food, then adult food is just fine for kittens. Also kittens should be allowed to eat as much as they want, they will generally self-regulate, so it's hard to overfeed a kitten - just feed them a number of small frequent meals.

9) Cats are fussy, it's a good idea to get them used to eating a variety of foods, by rotating flavours & brands this will stop them being bored by having to eat the same thing over and over again. It also means you won't be struck with a disaster should the manufacturer of your cats favourite brand/flavour change the recipe or worse stop making it all together.

10) If you go down the path of buying a number of brands/flavours in bulk, you may find yourself arranging the food in the order in which it will be eaten (and rearranging the whole cupboard if you get something new in, to add to the mix), a number of us seem to do it (it seems more prevelant amoung the virgos) :w00t:

Finally

11) There is no such thing as a stupid question - if you are unsure about something, (and all of the above is a lot to take in), then ask - someone will be able to offer advice.

Oh by the way, advice is not free on this forums - payment can be made in the form of pictures of your furbabies. :)

#6 notsure, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
    MoggyBaby likes this.
  7. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

ooooooooooooh yay!:D once you know they r settled i would love to see pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i cant beleive they would let a mother cat out!:nono:
    were u sooooooo excited the first time they sat on ur lap? the first time leo did i was sittng in the dark and didnt speak and didnt move from a hard cane box for a whole hour!

congratulations on the new kittens!

8. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

Hi, your diary is a fab idea :) I saw your pics the other day they are gorgeous! Congrats on your new additions! For anyone else wanting to see the pics they are on the Stan and Hollie thread :)

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum Jenni and how lovely to read about your new babies.

Notsure has given you a very comprehensive 'starter pack' of advice there and I nothing to add to it.

However, no further questions will be answered until we see pictures of the little babbas!!! :hand: :hand:

(only joking, we will answer!! :D)

10. harrys_mum

harrys_mum PetForums VIP

must hav pics,
    michelle x

11. Jenni84

Jenni84 PetForums Newbie

Evening Everyone!

Thank you so much for all of your replies, i will be certainly having a look at the links provided and will be looking into the food situation. The vet advised me to stick to the food that they had been eating at their previous home and change it gradually so thats what i shall do!

Today was such a difficult day as i had to go to work and leave my babies all alone :( Due to it being a fairly last minute decision to bring them home early, and being just after Christmas, i couldnt book a couple of days off work!

However the good news is that my mum, sister and nephew came up to check that they are ok and had a little play with them :D Mum said they were cheeky little monkeys and steered well clear of my 2yr old nephew!

When i arrived home tonight, they were VERY pleased to see me and they made sure i knew it!! I have just had them climbing all over the laptop to get to me lol.

I think that they have really settled in though as they are jumping around and playing A LOT!

We even had poo and pee pee in the litter tray today!

Anyway due to popular demand, i have attached some photo's :D

Attached Files:

12. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Thank you for the piccies - they are BEAUTIFUL!!!!! :001_wub: :001_wub:

And your vet is right about the gradual change over of food stuffs - cats tummies are very sensitive and can react badly (dire-rear! :eek:) if it is changed too suddenly. :)

13. Jenni84

Jenni84 PetForums Newbie

Thank you!

I am about to let the back in the living room, i have to put them in another room while i have my tea otherwise they are climbing up my legs to see what i have!!

Update: When my babies were weighed at the vets the other day, Stan weighed 400g and Hollie weighed 380g. I have just weighed them and Stan now weighs 500g and Hollie weighs 400g. I am surprised that Stan has gained so much more weight than Hollie because Hollie seems to eat much more!! Will keep weighing them on a regular basis to keep an eye on things...

#13 Jenni84, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  14. harrys_mum

harrys_mum PetForums VIP

they are lovely babies, thanks for pics.
    michelle x

15. Jenni84

Jenni84 PetForums Newbie

Evening all,

Just a little update on my babies....

They are both doing really well weight-wise, Hollie now weighs 420g and Stan weighs 520g. The vet said they need to weigh about 900g each by the time they go for their jabs in just over 2 weeks time so will keep weighing them regularly.

I am also pleased to say that they are doing really well with the litter tray already too! Whilst cooking tea tonight, things went a little quiet so i went to see what they were up to. Hollie was eating and Stan was in his tray! I cant believe how quickly they have taken to it!! :D We obiously have accidents now and again but i can live with that, they are babies after all!

I also read the info on food last night and i think i am going to gradually switch them to wet food. Is there any particular brand that anyone can recommend?

I think thats all for now but will post again if i think of anymore updates!! :)

Stan seems to be a little camera shy but i have attached a couple of pics of Hollie in the meantime!

Attached Files:

16. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

They are beautiful, love reading your diary:)

17. Jenni84

Jenni84 PetForums Newbie

Thankyou Jo!

I never used to consider myself a cat person as i have grown up with dogs but i absolutely love them to bits!!

I am amazed at how quickly they have settled in with me too. I have read so many posts about new kittens hiding away but there has been none of that with these 2! Im so lucky :001_wub:

18. bluepersianlover

bluepersianlover PetForums Member

U can feel the love for them through ur post. keep us up to date on how they develope.

19. Jenni84

Jenni84 PetForums Newbie

bluepersianlover..they are ace!! I think it has been easy for them to settle in here as i live by myself so it has been a nice relaxed environment for them to get used to.

I have taken a few video clips of them playing in the last couple of days, i wish i were able to show them on here!

20. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Wonderful to read that they are continuing to go from strength to strength. That is great news.

This link is great for wet food advice. It's a wee bit out of date regarding the exact breakdowns due to many companies making recent changes to their products but is still gives a whole load of GREAT information that you will find helpful.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/112132-z-wet-food-cats.html

Many of the foods like Smilla, Bozita, Animonda, Grau etc can be found on Zooplus.co.uk and the prices are very good for the quality of food you get which is LOADS better than Felix, Whiskas or most other supermarket brands.

Watch out for foodstuffs that are 'complimentary' - these are treat foods and don't contain all the required nutrients your cats need.

Also, one last point - BEWARE OF ZOOPLUS!!!!! It is really, really, really addictive....... :eek:

"Hi! My name is MoggyBaby and I am a Zooplus addict.................. :w00t:"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice