UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  Cookie crumble 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I’m new here! Our new kitten has been with us for a week today. He’s 8 weeks old and very tiny (800g!)

On his 3rd day with us he developed bad diarrhoea and we’ve had many vet chats since! We’ve seen one irl vet and had video vet consultations every day since Wednesday (it’s now Saturday)! He is now on a diet of boiled chicken while we wait for some special GI kitten food to arrive and is having pro-kolin. He was a little dehydrated on Wednesday so had a fluid injection at the vets too.

He hasn’t had a bowel movement since 5pm yesterday which I’m taking as positive because they were up to 7 times a day and basically liquid! Hoping for a solid one before the end of the day and that I haven’t sent him the other way…

I mostly wanted some advice on being a less anxious cat parent! He’s also been breathing very quickly in his sleep (again, I’ve asked vets who agree but say to just keep an eye on him if he is otherwise ok). The trouble is, I can’t stand him sleeping because I think he’ll never wake up.. or is this lethargy?! He’s not been drinking since the chicken but I’m putting lots of water IN his food so I’m hoping he isn’t going to get dehydrated again.

We have another irl vet appointment on Tuesday and I’m just a bag of nerves, barely sleeping and very worried! Driving my partner insane (and probably the cat too!)

Any experiences or advice would be gladly heard. Also, if you have a horror story about a kitten - I’ve probably heard it so please no more!

Thank you!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had a 8 week old kitten for just over a week too. We visited the vets as she started with bad diorrea and got pancure for worming and pro kolin paste. Also I changed her to boiled chicken diet for the time being. She seek to improve but has gone a bit the opposite way the past 24hrs. She seemed to breath fast at first but is fine now. She is drinking and eating fine though and drinking. Sorry no help just want to share that I'm feeling very anxious about her too!

#3 ·
oh my goodness it sounds exactly the same! I've found the free video vet with our insurance (Animal Friends) SO helpful. They suggested the chicken and he's been a lot better since (in fact just had a vaguely solid poop even if he had to wipe it on the carpet to get it out ). completely the same in terms of him being basically totally fine in himself as well! I think because they're so tiny - I've only had 12 weeks+ and when I was a teenager living at home - so this is all new and it feels so scary! I'm quite upset at the people who let him go to a new home at 8 weeks tbh!

I also have spoken to friends with kittens who say the breathing thing is something they remember/their kittens do too. But of course, good to be cautious about it. I think Google is doing me more harm than good!!

wishing you and your little one all the best xx

#4 ·
Hi how is your little one doing? We've got a worse, having accidents because it's runny. Still on just chicken but it's almost been 6 days now, drinking fine and wants to either play like a loon or sleep! Got a vet health check tomorrow so hopefully they'll be able to help with the poop situation. Feel like I'm cleaning 24/7 at the min. Had a nice accident on the sofa before bed, poor thing she is doing so well with the litter tray before things got worse again.

#6 ·
Things did improve, quite alot but then it's gone back down the past couple of days. I did wonder if it was chicken but with it helping at first I'm not sure. I have her a tiny tiny bit of her old wet food with her chicken to see if it helped but it got watery after so cut the wet food again.

#8 ·
Thank u. She is on just chicken now but obviously will check with the vet later that there isn't anything else that could be wrong too. She seems to of settled in well, has the full run of downstairs and will be allowed upstairs as soon as the poop issues have resolved. Fingers crossed asap

#9 ·
Went to vets and got given antibiotics, some more probiotics. Got told to give her kitten food rather than chicken, wouldn't normally recommend it as it can cause diorrea but since she has it anyway she said it was fine. Come to £90 odd but I asked about complete care and it went down to 50 ish with £6 a month for the complete care. Couldn't vaccinate her today as she has diorrea. The vet said if I hadn't of told her about it she wouldn't of guessed as she seems very healthy. She said if the antibiotics don't help then we'll have to do a poop test thing but said it was hundreds. She said I could take her back to the breeder. This upset me as she's mine, I'm not taking her back. If it cost hundreds (hopefully not) then I'll find it and pay it. Feeling sad

#15 ·
Hi she's still having soft cow pat type poos her bum also leaks blobs of poo that I don't think she knows about. She's been on antibiotics since Monday and probiotic paste. I've heard the antibiotics can cause diorrea anyway so I'm hoping once we stop them she'll improve. She's on ava kitten now which she loves and her poo no longer smells bad infact it smells of nothing.

#17 ·
Just feel like I'm cleaning poop of the floor, blankets etc all day. She does go to her litter tray for a big poo but the drips are stressing me out. She's worth it but I just want her to be better because it can't be nice for her.
hi! How is your little one now? We moved onto Royal Canin GI Kitten food (wet pate cans and dry biscuits) and combined with pro-kolin it really helped. Plus GI has electrolytes which will help with any dehydration!

He actually has a bit of flu now (poor thing can't catch a break!) but the toilet situation is much better.

Hope yours is too! X

#18 ·
Idon't t know If your still on the forum but we finally solved the problem with royal canin gastrointestinal gi the same as you said. It was a long road, ended up having going back to the vets several times, stool sample etc and all came back clear! Didn't put me off as I have 3 now and getting my 4th soon!