Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kitten breathing poorly/revived 5 times already!Help!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by catgroom, Jun 5, 2010.

1. catgroom

catgroom PetForums Junior

Hi

One of Sacha's 3 kittens,Barney,has had us up all night ...
    He is now just over 2 days old....

He began struggling to breathe at 11pmish last night,but does respond to rescucitation.I have been blowing over the mouth and nose while rubbing his sides.This keeps working.
    However,he does seem to be weaker this morning and my partner has now been feeding him with a syringe which he does like a lot!!

Is there any tips you can give which may help us to save this little chappie??
    Mum has now moved her kittens back to where she was nesting,but not where she gave birth.Shes seems to know my partner Sally is doing something for him.
    She is moving back and forth though,amongst all of us....and stressing a little..

Help!:frown:

Sal and Steve:thumbup:

2. kerrybramble

kerrybramble PetForums VIP

no advice, just want to wish you luck with the little boy, i hope he is ok.

3. PurpleCrow

PurpleCrow PetForums VIP

You need to go to the vets or at least call the vets and ask them what to! He could have (this is just a random thought) under developed lungs and the vets can help with that - theres many reasons he could be like this which is why he needs to go to the vets ASAP.

4. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Go the vet!:confused1:

5. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

oh bless poor little mite, i hope one of the breeders comes on and can offer you more advise, fingers crossed for the little one.

6. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Hope he is ok poor little fella fingers crossed for you all

Mo xx

7. catgroom

catgroom PetForums Junior

Well,I took Mummy cat on while pregnant,and with only enough money to feed her and kitties.
    This was a situation where my actual Landlord had a pregnant daughter who found out her cat was also pregnant and didnt want kits around a baby:mad:

I dont have cash to pay vets their bills.My partner Sally has helped many pets to survive throughout her life as a child on a farm in Norfolk,and did a sterling job last night keeping him going on her shift..

Sadly,Barney passed away an hour ago and I have just buried him under a nice grassy piece of our rockery.Barney was 2 days and 3 hours old and went very peacefully.

Cassie and Bluey,whom I posted pics of on my other thread,are thriving and Cassie is very vocal.:D

Thanks for your support again.

Sally and Steve.

8. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear your sad news. r.i.p little one x

9. PurpleCrow

PurpleCrow PetForums VIP

Sounds about right. Take on an animal that you cant provide the proper care for and it results in the death of one.

Sorry to sound harsh but you shouldnt have taken them on if you couldnt afford any potential vet bills.

Are you keeping her? If so, how are you going to get her spayed? Or is she just going to end up with another unwanted litter?

Being responsible and handing the mother to a rescue or someone who could afford to look after her may have prevented the loss of that poor kittens life.

:mad:

10. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Steve & Sally so sorry to hear of your loss, at least you tried to help the mummy cat rather than her being thrown out on the streets or worse:(
    So well done for all you have done its people like you that help animals should be praised hope the other 2 prosper and mummy is doing well.

Mo xxxx

11. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I think it's time you handed them over to a rescue to :(

If you can't afford vets fee's you should not have the cat and her kittens in your care. I worry for them if there is a problem and you sit on your hands not doing anything because you can't afford a vet.

#11 Aurelia, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  12. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

purple crow i think you are being very harsh actually and its uncalled for. A lot of rescues in England are so full with cats and kittens that they do not take in cats so what were they supposed to do? leave the pregnant cat as ferral and let her have litter after litter or take her in and make the best of a bad situation? As for getting the cat spayed many rescues offer subsidised or free speying depending on circumstances

13. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Agree with Momo....

Well done for you two taking on pregnant Mum and doing your best. God knows what would have happened if she was on the streets.

Are you keeping her as a pet later when the kits are gone and Mum able to get spayed?

Maybe look into getting insurance if you are. Will help for any future vet bills.

RIP lil one xx

14. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

A little harsh, the chances are nothing could have been done to save the kittens life.

Sorry for your loss, unfortunately mother nature can be very cruel at times, as can other people!

I suggest you give your vet a call in case of future problems (although unlikely) they often have a payment scheme, or mine bills me monthly. :)

colliemerles likes this.
  15. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

im so sorry you lost the little kitten, nature is cruel sometimes, fingers crossed the others do well, keep us updated.:)

R I P little one.

16. PurpleCrow

PurpleCrow PetForums VIP

It is good of her to take her in but in my opinion she could have done a lot more for the mother and helped potentially prevent that death of that poor kitten by handing her over to someone who could give it the proper care.

Giving an animal a "nice" home isnt enough - they need the necessary veterinary care as well and its cruel not to give them that. Certainly when help is always at hand somewhere.

17. PurpleCrow

PurpleCrow PetForums VIP

I agree totally - just that there was that chance. Its similar to the whole "better to be safe than sorry" sorta thing. If there is a chance to save a life, why not take it :confused:

18. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Trouble is its not always that easy, when my mum died suddenly 4 years ago we had so much trouble trying to re home her 4 cats, we were living abroad at the time so impossible for us to have them, I phoned untold rescue centres, rspca etc etc all to no avail except cats protection league that took 1 cat fortunatley I managed to find homes for 3 of them but it was extremely difficult and time consuming and if somebody bothers to take in a cat when pregnant and give it a loving home and safe environment then I think they deserve a pat on the back not critism for what they can't do...... again Sally & Steve well done for all your efforts.

Mo xxxx

19. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

OK, getting past the negativity, and because you say you can't afford the vets. Lets see if we can help prevent more problems.

Are you weighing the kittens to keep a check on their weight gain/potential loss?
    Are you hand feeding either of the other two? If so how are you feeding them, and in what position? Are you also remembering to toilet them if you're feeding them?
    If your girl keeps calling you and keeps looking stressed this may be because you moved them. Or because of your other pets being around. She may well not feel secure and she may be starting to abandon the kittens. She really needs to be on her own with her kitties away from the other pets to see if she settles IMO.

I'm sure there is other stuff that the more experienced breeders can add to here ...

One more thing I will say ... if your cat or her kittens shows signs of any other health problems, go to the vets. Even if it means going to see the vet and when it comes to paying after you 'forget your purse'. Then write them a letter explaining and apologising, offer them a weekly payment to cover the bill and stick to it. Asking first about payments will probably get you a big fat no. But some are nice and will consider it. But when tiny kittens are at risk, I wouldn't risk the no to be honest. It may sound dishonest, but I would do it if I needed to for the health of my pets. I would always pay the bill, just maybe not all at once. I also agree that you should seriously think about insurance. Though I'm not sure this would have helped you this time, if anything else were to happen with the cats it may well do.

BTW I saw you edited your post yesterday on your other thread. I have a fairly good memory though ;)

20. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

No-one should have an animal and not be able to pay for veterinary care when needed.

Sorry, but the days of not getting any veterinary care and then blaming "nature" should be long gone.

I agree.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice