Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kitten? Allergies?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Acacia86, May 24, 2010.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi, as some of you know i had a very upsetting time a while ago where my daughters ezcema became affected with cat hair. I had 4 cats and i managed to get one fostered out. I got her back earlier than i should have. And we haven't had any problems since. (she had also been having a new cream)

Anyway, we went to a friends house who has 6 cats and my daughter was in the room with them all pretty much all day :lol: and she has been absolutely fine. The doc thinks she might be coming out of her ezcema (it was the ''baby one'' not the 'proper' one)

I have fallen in love with a Ginger kitten (i have made threads before about him as i wanted to know his genetics etc) and Chris has said i can have him if i want. However, i am really dubious, yes i DO want him, but i am scared of having another cat incase it sets of my daughters ezcema again, and i am still getting over loosing my other 3. Chris would also take him back if for any reason i couldn't keep him and keep him so we could still see him.

Has anyone been through this or similar? Whats best?

Sorry to ask on here, but i have no other people who could help me with this particular dilemma!

2. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

well ... if the owner of the kitten says she will have him back then i would be willing to give it a go ,is it possible for your daughter to spend some time with the kitten first ?? at least you might be able to gauge a reaction , hope all goes well :)
    julie x

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Oh yes definately. Chris is great he has said we can go around whenever and we are :D he is a friend and he loves his cats more than does most humans :lol:

I am just a bit worried after the whole heart-breaking thing with my other 4. I know this is different because Chris will take him back i can see him. But i am still a bit worried.

Thanks purrlover.

xx

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Google is my friend today :)lol:). I did a little bit for you and came up with this: Cats and eczema hope it helps. xxx

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thanks hun, i read it and my daughter has nothing else wrong, it was just baby ezcema, no hayfever etc. It has completely cleared up now......and hopefully forever! I had it as a toddler too, but i have never had it back.

I have a while to decide anyway as Ginge isn't ready for a few weeks.

xx

6. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Speaking as a person who has allergies to cats [not in a bad way] and also a father who has allergies to cats [not bad either]

they play up my asthma and i have constant blocked nose [drs say cats are the reason]

We currently have 4 of the buggers...one with his back leg on my arm as i type.

I've had eczema and still suffer with it now [im 24] so i know what its like....but all i can say is give it a go, if her eczema is gone then why not?

7. Petwatch

Petwatch PetForums Newbie

Could your daughter get an allergy test at her doctors? I have seen them do it on a tv programme and they just put a drop of liquid containing cat fur dander on the arm and check it 48 hours later to see, so no injection needed?

might be another option to make certain?

It would be horrible to get the kitten you have been looking forward to only to hand it back :(

8. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I had this dilema when I got My last fury friend....Penny the dog. She's a Bichoin X King charles spaniel and although Bichon's are supposed to be non moulting, with her being a cross I wasn't sure what would happen.....it turns out she sheds when I groom but not otherwise....but anyway, My Daughter...(16 yr) is badly asthmatic and suffers exema also, she reacts to the ginuea pigs and the cat, but not the rabbit or Fizz the dog....so it was a case of will she won't she. She's already on medication for it all so I took the plunge and got Penny anyway, working on the theory that she has meds for it so she should be ok, the only time she reacts to penny is if her fur isn't groomed and it's full of dust and pollen etc....so usually she's ok but she does still start wheezing sometimes when she's near her.
    My advice to you would be to give it a go, see how bad the reaction if any at all and go from there, you have nothing to lose really if you have someone who will take the cat back if it gets too much
    Good luck
    Clare xx

9. Tje

Tje Banned

Why don’t you get in touch with a shelter or feline rescue organization, and offer to be a foster family (either for a mother and her litter, or adult cats) and that way you could see exactly how your daughters eczema is when you have cats in your home permanently (well I say permanently, fostering a mother and kittens is generally for around 12 weeks or so). If it does flare up the cats can go back to the shelter (if it the eczema can’t be handled short term with drugs), but I would imagine if she remains eczema free for 12 weeks you would be safe to get another cat.

I have a good friend who get’s eczema around cats…. But that is not to say she gets it every time she visits my home. She also gets asthma from cats, again though, it’s not 100% consistent. Sometimes she can visit me with no problems whatsoever, other times she has slight problems, other times she sets one foot through my front door and her neck and face get blotchy immediately, or she starts wheezing.

10. mlynnc

mlynnc PetForums Senior

I have had eczema all of my life :) I happily own a cat and don't have any real problems. The only time that owning a cat affects my eczema is when he is laying across my arms for long periods of time... but I think it is the warmth that bothers my eczema more than him :rolleyes:

I put E45 lotion on my arms every day after my shower and it really helps calm the eczema (with or without a cat!) :thumbup:

...I'd say, go for it!!!! :D

11. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thanks guys! I might go for it and just wait and see.

Tje, i can't foster. 1. I don't fit the critera (i have asked many a time) and 2. we only have one rescue shelter on this tiny Island and while there are cats in there we are not over loaded (at present at least) most of the cats that need to be fostered into homes are taken by the staff or the staffs family etc

I do have a cat, but only the one. But Acacia won't be picked up and cuddled by my daughter so she doesn't really get to be covered in cat hair!

Her ezcema has all completely gone now and touch wood its gone forever. It could re-appear buts its only the baby one so it won't last for life.

Its more the fact i am worried! I will get so attached to Ginge and then if the worst happened i would lose him :frown: :frown:

But i won't know unless i try i guess.......but it feels bad! I feel like i am playing with a cats life! I know it sounds weird but in a strange way its true! Chris would 1000% take him back as his own though. But mmy heart wouldn't take the strain of losing another fur baby :frown:

I will keep you all updated. Thanks a lot guys its very much appreciated.

Oh and for the record! I have not told my daughter anything about the kitten! Just incase i decide not to have him. It wouldn't be fair for her. Bless her. She still misses the others and really wants a ginger and white one just as much as i do!

xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice