Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New kitten, 14 weeks old, advice needed.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jaspersalem, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Jaspersalem

Jaspersalem PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,
    Our new kitten is 14 weeks old and only weighs 570g.
    He was the only surviving cat of his litter and was the smallest. He's so tiny, but full of beans, bursting with energy and has a good appetite. He's been wormed by the previous owner and by ourselves using panacur. We have a vet appointment booked for next Monday just for his first check up, vaccines and to book in microchipping and neutering.
    I was just wondering if anyone else had ever had such a tiny kitten? And if so if they grew up to be normal sized or had any issues. The last kitten we got was 9 weeks old and weighed 900g so I guess I'm just a bit concerned. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

KittenKong likes this.
  2. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

He sounds lovely and you are doing everything right re- being examined by the vets, vaccines, microchipping and neutering, (our vets, a most excellent practice wouldn't spay Tabatha until she was six months old, but may be different for Tom's?).

The vet should also reassure you re any concerns you have and treat where or if necessary. It's very encouraging to hear he's eating well and full of beans.

When we got Tabatha at ten weeks she was tiny, so much I daren't leave her unattended at any time. She's now six and a huge cat! The two photos of her on the same laptop PC reveals how much she's grown!

Would be nice to see a photo or two. Let us know how you get on

IMG_20210914_225312.jpg IMG_20210914_225336.jpg

#2 KittenKong, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021 at 10:20 PM
  3. Jaspersalem

Thank you for your reassurances!
    Tabatha is gorgeous and so big now
    We have two older cats in our household too. One is very keen on Milo and loves to play but the other is keeping her distance for now Milo shows no signs of fear around either of them though and will constantly instigate play time!
    I've attached a couple photos of Milo below, as you can see he fits perfectly into the dustpan so so small.

Attached Files:

4. Maurey

Maurey Maine Coon Madness

My guess would be that you were lied to about his age. He looks closer to 4-6 weeks, max 8 weeks. Are his eyes still blue or grey?

If he actually weighs that little I’d be holding off on vet work as he’s too small. Vaccination isn’t super safe at the weight, imo. Wouldn’t risk taking him to a vets office just for a checkup where he can get sick off other cats, either. If you want him checked over I’d look into having a vet make a house call.

J. Dawson likes this.
  5. Jaspersalem

Hey, I actually know the people who I got him off and he was born early June time as I have seen photos of him since then.

I'm friends with the person I got him off and he was born in June, he was in a litter of three and like I said the others passed away and he was the smallest. It was the cats first litter and she herself is quite small. He was a bit bloated when we first got him and I spoke to the vet and they reccomended the panacur. Cos of his weight I had to give him 2.5ml a day for 3 days and his tummy has gone down and his poos are normal looking now.
    I will call vets and see if they can visit rather than take him in just to have a check over to make sure he's okay. His gums are a good colour and besides his weight he seems fine. He's actually gained 75g in the week we've had him.
    His eyes are a greeny/grey colour

J. Dawson and KittenKong like this.
  6. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

@Jaspersalem just wanted to weigh in on the weight issue. I know exactly how you feel, I’ve had many cats over the years and they all grew very rapidly, and most of them grew into ginormous cats! (Especially my Maine coon, lol!) but our most recent addition, Gatsby, is now 15 months old, and only weighs 6lb. She’s the tiniest cat I’ve ever had, she’s fully grown and weighs the same as a 6 month old kitten. She wasn’t even the runt of her litter, because she’s incredibly confident, and the day we brought her home at 8 weeks (she was a rescue) she stole the food straight from my two 8 year old boys.

Jaspersalem and KittenKong like this.
  7. Jaspersalem

Hi, thanks for the reply!
    It is a bit worrying isn't it, he's now 650g so weight seems to be coming on okay. I think maybe he just wasn't getting the right amount of food before? I'm not sure. We've noticed a slight curve in both his front legs too which could be from malnurishment or potentially he could have a form of dwarfism. Bless him. Got the vets tomorrow so hopefully everythings fine.
    Haha gatsby sounds a bit like milo, he's very confident and playful.

Callidora likes this.
  8. Callidora

Lol! Yes it is worrying at first, definitely. I used to worry endlessly at her weigh ins at the vet, so much so that I started taking her weekly. But she’s had very thorough check ups and her mum is very small I believe, so it’s obviously hereditary. I adore her tiny size now, plus it means she’s still small enough to do all the things she did as a kitten, like climb up us and sit on our shoulders. She’s tiny, but what she lacks in stature, she more than makes up for in personality.

Jaspersalem likes this.
  9. Jaspersalem

Just an update for everyone...
    I took milo to the vets today and they think he might have a virus/tummy bug. We've got him some gastro food and some probiotics. Good news is that he's now nearly 700g.
    The vet also said he may be FIV positive because he's so tiny and having tummy issues so if the food doesn't work they're gonna test for that before he has his jabs. so fingers crossed the food and probiotics work and all stays well.

10. Jaspersalem

As you can see he isn't particularly worried

Attached Files:

Callidora and gskinner123 like this.
  11. Callidora

Oh @Jaspersalem he is too precious!! He’s absolutely beautiful

Jaspersalem likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice