Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Kitchen Scratch Protection

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by BarneyBobCat, Jul 21, 2021.

1. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Hi! We've just had a new kitchen installed. Barney has always been a lover of heights and used to race round the tops of the cupboards of our old kitchen. The new one has even taller cupboards and a cornice so we thought there would be no chance of him jumping up - what fools we are :eek:

So of course we are now worried about the inevitable scratches he is going to create because the jump is not easy for him.

Im wondering about putting some sort of plastic protector over the areas he is using to access the top of the cupboards. Has anyone done anything like this please?

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Oh Barney, you will get in trouble if your not careful.

It all depends what material your cupboards are, if we are talking raw wood then buy Fiddes hard oil wax, I use it on my work tops, it’s robust as hell, heat, cat scratches, cat vomit, red wine etc.

If we are talking modern, then maybe this would work, no idea how robust it would be, especially if the sides are near heat or light

5C79AFA0-C637-42DC-83F6-6211986EE4ED.png

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  3. BarneyBobCat

Modern unfortunately so we do need to think about a cover, although he has found an easier way for to get up now which means this might not be a concern. My worry about sticking something on the panels is whether it will come off again or leave a mark. I think he is still getting used to the kitchen, when he is on top of the cupboards he keeps making a wahhhh noise at us :Hilarious

ewelsh likes this.
  4. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Oh Barney! You really must try not to scratch your new kitchen - you know that would displease the humans. Maybe ask your mum and dad to make you a little ladder to get to where you want to be ;)

lorilu and BarneyBobCat like this.
  5. BarneyBobCat

:Hilarious A ladder is a great idea!

ewelsh and Mrs Funkin like this.
  6. BarneyBobCat

Lost Barney this morning, found he had managed to get behind one of the new kitchen cupboards. Had to get the fitter round to remove one of the panels to get him out :Banghead

7. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Still keeping you on your toes:Hilarious

8. BarneyBobCat

Hes a nightmare, he doesn't get any better @SbanR

SbanR likes this.
  9. Mrs Funkin

Oh Barney Boy! You are getting on a bit now, there's no need to be up to such pranks ;) You already know you're in charge, give your poor Dad a break!

10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I was going to suggest providing him with a way to get up there that would not involve him having to claw his way up the side of the cupboard as well. :)

11. BarneyBobCat

He's 2!!!! 3 in November

He can make the jump quite well now with his front feet, it's his back legs I'm worried about but so far no damage. He's not clawing his way up just yet

12. Mrs Funkin

Exactly @BarneyBobCat he's the equivalent of 26 years old now ;) No pranks needed!

13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The claws may brush against it. You might attach something he can get a bit of grip with along the side, if you're going to let him jump up there. A sisal rug maybe?

I've got a tall secretary that is all scratched up on the side they jump up. I've seen them go up there hundreds of times over the years and never noticed that their hind claws were leaving little scratches (and some longer ones) in the finish until I moved.

14. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

What steps have you taken to stop him repeating his disappearing act?:Joyful

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice