Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New horse

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by AnniRiin, Aug 25, 2019.

1. AnniRiin

AnniRiin PetForums Newbie

Hey, so my trainer wants me to start training with a 4 year old mare but the problem for me is that for all of her life she has only been handled and riden by one person. I’ve had 2 trainings with her so we’re just getting used to one another but she just doesn’t listen to me at all. She’s pretty okay in walk and trot but when i ask her to stand still she just won’t listen or will start backing up. And in canter she’ll just run away and I can’t control her speed. Does anyone have any advice on how i could train her to get used to me and be more relaxed when i ride her?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Often, a horse backs up and fidgets because the rider is tense and “holding on” without realising it.

Same with running off, often caused by tension.

Having some lessons might help your confidence and teach you how to control her without tension.

3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I’m not being critical but it’s actually you who needs training, not her.

The mark of a really good rider is to be able to get on any horse and have it go well for them. Sometimes it’s not instant and takes a bit of empathy.

I could get my friend’s mare going calmly because I rode her with a loose rein; she liked to look around.

Conversely, one of mine went away for a bit of schooling and when he came back I couldn’t ride one side of him because I was truly over-horsed; he could do stuff that I couldn’t!

I’m sure your trainer thinks you’re up to the challenge.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice