UK Pet Forums Forum banner

New home boarding regulations

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Oggy's Den 
#1 ·
So I got my license renewal letter from the council this week, and it's taken me a good read to get my head round the changes! I still have a few questions, if anyone wants to weigh in?? For the higher standard condition, any outside space must have 2 physical barriers between the dog and any exit/entrance.... Does that mean between the house and the garden, or the garden and the road? Also there are guidelines on written procedures for transportation/puppies... Can I skip them if I don't transport boarders/accept puppies (will not doing so affect my star rating)??

#8 ·
Hi. I was one of the first if not the first to start home boarding - im into my 27th year. I am also having to jump through hoops even though ive had a dog boarding licence for 26 years. Because of the changes my 12 dog max has been changed to 4 dogs. !1dog in a room 12 ft x12 ft is totally daft.
I have turned over a hundred new customers away this year- luckily now as it turns out. My regular customers are very upset as they have now got to battle to get the four spaces. They are also very angry that they are being dictated to regards how their dog is boarded.
As for petsitters who pop in twice a day to see to dogs when people are on holiday has had no changes. I think this is definitely needing to be revised as this is in my opinion cruel. Cats and small animals are fine with short visits to feed and check up on but dogs get very stressed. To leave them for a week or more with visits is unacceptable and cruel .
I don't know if anyone is aware but the think tank at DEFRA didn't have a homeboarder proprietor who could advise them on how some of the regulations would be unworkable and nearly impossible to work with.
As for the NVQ to get 5 star rating I think you would be better getting reviews who give you 5 stars and don't give a stuff about their 5 star rating.

#6 ·
This is referring to outside space, so in effect saying you need 2 gates.

#9 ·
Fiona.. it is all nuts but hopefully things will settle once they have all banged their heads against the wall for several months.

There will have to be some appeals to Magistrates courts from licencees like yourself to help sort this all out

We also need a concerted industry wide push to harry Councils to get the likes of Dog Buddy, Tailster etc licenced and having all their illegal boarders investigated. That should keep the Council Officers busy for years and if they get their act together on court action .. some money from the multi national corporations and billionaire investors cashing in on these APPS and law breaking.

It is easy to produce lists of unlicenced boarders , by county. council and mail them to those councils plus the media ... hundreds of legally licenced dog home boarders doing this (annnonymously if they want - to councils other than your own if you want) wil make a lot of noise ...

Because the slack from shutting down established experienced businesses will be taken upo by illegal unlicensed businesses .. leaving dogs worse off..

It was and is all foreseeable..had they bothered to engage with Home Boarders properly..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.