Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new here

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Lmarieh13, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Lmarieh13

Lmarieh13 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Im new here, two weeks ago my partner and i took in two cats off of a friend of my parents, who could no longer look after them, they are both a year old and have not been netured or spayed, they are not siblings and have never been outside.
    When we got the cats we took them to a vet to get them checked over and we were told the female cat is around 5 weeks pregnant and is due to have them at the end of the month,
    Last week we took the male cat to get netured.

We were wondering the male cody is a pure white cat and the female ebony is black and white, what colours will the kittens be?
    when do you start to feel the kittens moving?

2. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

As I recall, you start to feel the kittens moving at about 7 weeks, but only if the cat is relaxed and lying down. As for the kittens, that's a very interesting question and one I would love to try and work out, but I'd need a bit more information about the male - what colour are his eyes, nose and paw pads?

Liz

3. Lmarieh13

hi,

Codys eyes are yellow, his nose and paw pads are pink.

4. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Ok then, assuming only one of his parents was white, you can expect half the litter will be white. If by any chance both his parents were white then all the litter would be white, but that's pretty unlikely as there are not many white cats around.

Now, about the female, what sort of proportion of black and white is she - for example is she mainly black like the felix cat, or half and half, or more white than black?

Liz

5. Saynamore

Saynamore Banned

With Persians, pure white always masks another colour, and the colour being masked depends on what colour the parents of the male were. So without knowing that you cant really tell what colour the offspring will be. Hope that makes sense :confused:

6. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

You should be seeing and able to see flutters around 6 wks, the colors should be white and depending on what color he carries you may get pyeball or solids-black,chocolate,lilacs,or blue:)Lets hope she has a good,clean safe birth for you and delivers strong,healthy babies:)

7. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Because White is dominant, you do know that half the litter (on average) will be expected to be white. The spotting gene (which gives bicolour) is an incomplete dominant which means that a homozygous cat with white spotting has more white than a heterozygous one. If we know whether the female is homozygous or heterozygous, we can work out whether she's likely to produce anythign other than bicolours and whites. I think lilac is somewhat optimistic though, to say the least ;-)

Liz

8. Siamese Kelly

I think lilac is somewhat optimistic though, to say the least ;-)
    Possibly-but hey stranger things have happened:cool::)
    Forgot to say LM13-welcome aboard:)

9. Lmarieh13

Hi,

Ebony is half white and half black.

10. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

In that case she's probably homozygous and the kittens that are not white will be something and white - most likely black and white or tabby and white, but if you're lucky you could have blue and white (you would have to be very lucky indeed to get chocolate and white or lilac and white but you never know!)

You will keep in touch and tell us what you get, won't you, and we'll want some pictures :)

Liz

11. may

may PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the board:D
    It looks like your going to be busy in a few weeks :D:D

12. Saynamore

Saynamore Banned

Just to throw a spanner into the works, should we eliminate red? if either of the white boy's parents has red that could come into it as well, anybodys guess, pmsl :confused:

13. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Does W mask even O? I hadn't thought of that! Right then, add tortie and white girls to the mix, if white boy happened to have a red Mummy. Isn't this fun!

14. Siamese Kelly

Yeah-well done Lmarieh:rolleyes::DYou've set these 2 off now,shall we start an online book??I had to cheat and ask my oh(i know s*d all about genes etc:D) so please bear in mind that big long words such as "homozygous"can't even say it:eek:Liz,smartass and Chrissy confuses well me at any rate,so if you could carry on putting it as basic as you can and then i will stand a better chance of these things lodging in my 2 braincells without them shriveling and disappearing:D:D Dunno how you fair Lmarieh:DLove it though:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice