Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new here !!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by xxbailliexx, May 17, 2010.

1. xxbailliexx

xxbailliexx PetForums Member

hi there
    just wanted to say hi to everyone.
    my family and i have just rehomed a 9 month old staffie bitch called baillie :D she is gorgeous.
    she is house trained and great with my 2 girls but has absoloutely no manners whatsoever :lol: she's great and we're going to have our hands full with her but we are all totally in love with her allready :001_wub:
    i will probably become a pest with questions so will appologise now :eek:

Emma x

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

hello and welcom from me xx

3. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Hiya :D............

4. millianaire

millianaire PetForums Member

hello..... i just got two staffy pups so i know how ya feeling :)

5. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Hello!!! And a huge warm welcome to the pet forums!!

Everyone on here are full of advice and suggestions and are very friendly!!

Hope you enjoy your (long) stay here on the pet forums.

Any questions we are more than happy to give our best advice!!!

All the best xxxxxxx

6. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Hi :thumbup:

7. xxbailliexx

hiya
    thanks for the warm welcome :thumbup:

just nipped around the block with baillie for a wee walk. she's only getting walked for a small length of time at the minute because she pulls like mad and i'm frightened she chokes herself...have a lot of work with the lead :) only been out 20 minutes and she's knackered and lying on the floor :eek:

8. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Have you tried a harness or head collar?? xx

9. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

But then that would just "mask" the problem, if you want to overcome the problem then use a slip lead which you can tug her back so she will in time realise every time she pulls it gets tighter xx

10. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

11. Arlani

Arlani PetForums Junior

Hello and welcome!! For questions you've come to the right place ;) Have fun on the forums! :)

12. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Noooo a staffie with no manners!!!!!! :lol: :lol: I'm afraid the expression 'bull in a china shop' was made for our staffies!!! I have 2 crosses in my pack and while they drive me nuts (and cover me in bruises) I wouldn't be without them!! You cannot beat a staffie for love and cuddles, and come winter you'll be fighting over who sleeps with her cos they make the best hot water bottles!!!:thumbup:

Harness absolutely not with a staffie, they just use their chest against you with even more to pull against!! Best bet is visit a good pet shop and get them to show you how to use a halti correctly on her or half-check collar is what I use with my 2 thug's. It gives them a bit of a 'check' if they pull too much but releases the pressue (therefore rewarding them!) once they stop pulling.

13. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your new dog :)

14. xxbailliexx

thanks for the advice jsr, we were thinking of a harness to be honest as we thought that would be better (she just has a collar and lead at the mo) but have heard of the halti's will defo look into that instead.thanks. and no manners is'nt the phrase for it really :D she's nuts but so so loving and would just love to be able to sit on our heads lol she is very mouthy but does'nt put any pressure on your hand although this is something we know we have to put a stop too. we're letting her settle in at the minute as we've only had her since thursday but are setting boundries for her so not to confuse later (well trying to she just looks at us and does what she wants :D)

15. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Will love to see some piccy's when you get a chance. If she's anything like my bitch she'll need boundry's but being greedy dogs they are quiet easy to train..clicker training worked really well with mine!! She came from a very abusive background but managed to get to a good level of obedience training using clicker...mind you when she gets an idea into her head no amoutn of training will stop her doing what she wants!!!:lol:

16. xxbailliexx

think i've managed to put a pic on....not good with all this technical stuff lol not the best picture she wont stay still :D

Attached Files:

17. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

AWWW!! Lovely!! Gorgeous!! xxx

18. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

She's stunning!! What a lovely shiney coat she has!! She'll have you wrapped around her little paw any day soon!!!:lol:

19. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

She's beautiful. I would advise a halti, as JSR said, staffies put their weight into a harness, whereas a halti they can't. I use a size 2 halti, on a rescue staff I walk.

20. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I suppose it varies from staffy to staffy, I know I said about a harness or headcollar (halti) but my friend has 2 staffies and have 2 special leather staffy harnesses and they walk a dream in them!!
    xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice