Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New here need advice about litter

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kingston, Jul 21, 2009.

1. kingston

kingston PetForums Junior

Hi everyone, I have been lurking here for a while and reading up extensively on various subjects. We have a 11 month old moggie, Isabella and will be getting a new Exotic Short Hair boy. of 13 weeks in about three weeks time. What I want to know is which litter people recommend? The breeder recommends and sells Worlds Best and Pura but I have read bad reviews about the Worlds Best. My main consideration is odor control. I can deal with the tracking and just about anything else! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I cannot really advise which is best to use, I just thought it may be a good idea to stick with the litter the breeder uses while your new addition is settling in.

Someone with more 'litter' experince then myself will be a long to answer your questions.

BTW Hi, welcome and congratulations on the new kitty :D

3. kingston

kingston PetForums Junior

Hi thankyou, breeder uses worlds best and pura but I have heard that catscan is good. Does anyone know?

4. thenaughtyfairy

thenaughtyfairy PetForums Junior

I use catsan and I've found it to be the best. but it is true, your cat may decide for you... Trial and error I guess. Though catsan is very good at odour control

5. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi and welcome
    I have used both Worlds Best and Catsan and found them both good in different ways. Worlds Best clumps and it lasts longer than other types of cat litter, it is made from corn so is safe if kitten tries to eat it, it is biodegradable and you can flush it down the loo. It is okay with odour control but I don't think any litter stops it completely. I did find that Worlds Best does track even though it says on the packet it doesn't. Probably not with older cats but kittens used to stand in it while it was still wet and before it clumped and it used to then walk wet spots over the floor. Catsan is good for not tracking but didn't clump, although you can buy clumping but I didn't find it very good. It is okay with odour control but when changing the litter it isn't pleasant as I can really smell the urine but you don't smell it while it is not being changed. Found Worlds Best to be a nicer smell. With catsan as well you then have to have newspaper, or bags handy to shovel dirtly litter into, I use nappy sacks! I then don't enjoy having to go outside the the dustbins. Whereas with Worlds Best you can just flush it down the loo. Looking back I think Worlds Best is better for little kittens as it is softer and smaller granules where as Catsan is larger lumps and harder. Also when you tip the catsan in the tray you get a puff of dust from the bag, not a huge problem but shows it is dustier.

As I said they are both good in their own ways. Have never tried Pura?? Hope this helps and good luck!

Sharon
    x

6. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

I just use Tesco Value cat litter! Its about £1.16 a bag.

Its dusty but it does the job. I get through a bag of litter a day so its cheap and cheerful for my lot!!!

7. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Worlds best and a closed litter tray are the greatest couple ;) :D!!! lol!!! Unfortunately one of my cats refuses to use Worlds best but it does work!!
    x

8. silverhorse

silverhorse PetForums Member

I find Sainsburys clumping cat litter is brilliant if you keep it around 2" deep as you can lift out the clump in one go . It doesnt seem to track and I have a neutered cat and it desnt leave any odour around.Also it is not expensive.:)

9. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Well to be honest i've tried lot's BUT i must say Catsan is the top cat litter here ! :thumbup:

10. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

When I didn't have as many cats, I used World's Best & thought it was great, especially as you could flush it. But with five cats, it just works out far too expensive, & even though it's flushable, I don't think five cats worth a day would do my plumbing much good! :rolleyes: I don't know if you have or know anyone with a Costco card, but I use their Litter Purrfect. It's a great clumping litter - quite a few of my friends use it for their cats too - you just scoop the poos & wees out - I use dog waste bags for mine & pop them in the bin. Make sure it's deep enough & you keep it topped up, otherwise you'll get a gooey mess in the bottom of your tray. It's reasonably priced, is good for odour control & most importantly my cats like & use it - they'll vote with their feet if you buy one they don't like, lol :eek:

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I'm using chick crumbs - it's so similar to world's best it's untrue. Brilliant though and really cheap!

12. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Should that be cheep - groan - sorry :eek:

13. mistique57

mistique57 PetForums Junior

I use catsan its great and lasts longer even though it is more expensive,I have tried them all over the yrs and the catsan works best for me.

14. khedden79

khedden79 PetForums Newbie

To be honest...I use the wood-based cat litters. The clumping/clay-based ones I find really awkward as you can't flush them and they leave a residue on the bottom of the litter tray that is difficult to clean. There is either Beauti-cat or another,slightly dearer one, whose name I can't recall. They come in pellets. They are very absorbent, smell lovely and have a nice easy way of turning to sawdust which makes removal of solids very easy!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice